Help me understand Israel.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Help me understand Israel.
I'm trying to understand the problem in Israel. I've tried to understand but my little mind will not allow it.
Here are the questions I'd like answered.
How did Israel form? Apparently it's got something to do with a migration of Jews into the area and a migration of Muslims (or is it more correct to say Arabs?) out.
Did they pay for the land in any way or did they just park there and say "this is ours!"?
Was anybody forced to leave the area?
Does Israel have a right to exist?
And why the fuck can't there be peace?
Anybody want to help this poor layman understand?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2014, 08:58 AM
RE: Help me understand Israel.
(16-07-2014 08:25 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  ...
How did Israel form?
[Image: 720px-Kingdoms_of_Israel_and_Judah_map_830.svg.png]

Israel and Judah were related Iron Age kingdoms of the ancient Levant.

The Kingdom of Israel emerged as an important local power by the 9th century BCE before falling to the Neo-Assyrian Empire in 722 BCE.

Israel's southern neighbor, the Kingdom of Judah, emerged in the 8th century and enjoyed a period of prosperity as a client-state of first Assyria and then Babylon before a revolt against the Neo-Babylonian Empire led to its destruction in 586 BCE.

Following the fall of Babylon to the Persian king Cyrus the Great in 539 BCE, some Judean exiles returned to Jerusalem, inaugurating the formative period in the development of a distinctive Judahite identity in the Persian province of Yehud.
Yehud was absorbed into the subsequent Hellenistic kingdoms that followed the conquests of Alexander the Great, but in the 2nd century BCE the Judaeans revolted against the Hellenist Seleucid Empire and created the Hasmonean kingdom.

This, the last nominally independent Judean kingdom, came to an end in 63 BCE with its conquest by Pompey of Rome. With the installation of client kingdoms under the Herodian Dynasty, the Kingdom of Israel was wracked by civil disturbances which culminated in the Jewish Revolt, the destruction of the Temple, the emergence of rabbinical Judaism and Early Christianity.

Does that help?

Thumbsup

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
16-07-2014, 10:09 AM
(16-07-2014 08:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 08:25 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  ...
How did Israel form?
[Image: 720px-Kingdoms_of_Israel_and_Judah_map_830.svg.png]

Israel and Judah were related Iron Age kingdoms of the ancient Levant.

The Kingdom of Israel emerged as an important local power by the 9th century BCE before falling to the Neo-Assyrian Empire in 722 BCE.

Israel's southern neighbor, the Kingdom of Judah, emerged in the 8th century and enjoyed a period of prosperity as a client-state of first Assyria and then Babylon before a revolt against the Neo-Babylonian Empire led to its destruction in 586 BCE.

Following the fall of Babylon to the Persian king Cyrus the Great in 539 BCE, some Judean exiles returned to Jerusalem, inaugurating the formative period in the development of a distinctive Judahite identity in the Persian province of Yehud.
Yehud was absorbed into the subsequent Hellenistic kingdoms that followed the conquests of Alexander the Great, but in the 2nd century BCE the Judaeans revolted against the Hellenist Seleucid Empire and created the Hasmonean kingdom.

This, the last nominally independent Judean kingdom, came to an end in 63 BCE with its conquest by Pompey of Rome. With the installation of client kingdoms under the Herodian Dynasty, the Kingdom of Israel was wracked by civil disturbances which culminated in the Jewish Revolt, the destruction of the Temple, the emergence of rabbinical Judaism and Early Christianity.

Does that help?

Thumbsup

Not even a little. I was asking about the modern State of Israel that apparently was formed in 48 or sometime around there.
I think you knew that and decided to fuck with me. But that's ok, I can take it!
16-07-2014, 04:29 PM
(16-07-2014 10:09 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  ...
Not even a little. I was asking about the modern State of Israel that apparently was formed in 48 or sometime around there.
I think you knew that and decided to fuck with me. But that's ok, I can take it!

Oh! Why didn't you say so?

The modern state of Israel was formed from clay and a spare rib by god.

Or.... here.

Quote:On May 14, 1948, the last British forces left through Haifa. The same day, in a public ceremony in Tel-Aviv, Ben-Gurion read the Israeli Declaration of Independence, declaring the establishment of a Jewish state in Eretz-Israel, to be known as the State of Israel.[109] Both superpower leaders, U.S. President Harry S. Truman and Soviet leader Joseph Stalin, immediately recognized the new state.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
16-07-2014, 04:41 PM
(16-07-2014 04:29 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 10:09 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  ...

Oh! Why didn't you say so?

The modern state of Israel was formed from clay and a spare rib by god.

Or.... here.

Quote:On May 14, 1948, the last British forces left through Haifa. The same day, in a public ceremony in Tel-Aviv, Ben-Gurion read the Israeli Declaration of Independence, declaring the establishment of a Jewish state in Eretz-Israel, to be known as the State of Israel.[109] Both superpower leaders, U.S. President Harry S. Truman and Soviet leader Joseph Stalin, immediately recognized the new state.

To be fair though most of the rest of the states in the former Ottoman empire were made with even less formality or historical significance.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-07-2014, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2014 04:54 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(16-07-2014 08:25 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I'm trying to understand the problem in Israel. I've tried to understand but my little mind will not allow it.
Here are the questions I'd like answered.
How did Israel form? Apparently it's got something to do with a migration of Jews into the area and a migration of Muslims (or is it more correct to say Arabs?) out.
Did they pay for the land in any way or did they just park there and say "this is ours!"?
Was anybody forced to leave the area?
Does Israel have a right to exist?
And why the fuck can't there be peace?
Anybody want to help this poor layman understand?

Moses walks up a mountain. Goes Consider
Thinks : "me likey" but it ain't mine.
Then goes : "I know. I'll just say *God promised it to me".
And the rest is history.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Exclamation RE: Help me understand Israel.
Religious zealots and nationalists wanted to create their own country, as was depicted in their mythology and religious books.

What followed was mass migrations, mass expulsions, and mass murders.

The reason Israel exists as it does today - nationalistic, militaristic, an unsinkable aircraft carrier for the Middle East, mass occupations, mass murders - is the carte blanche from US elites (UK, Canadian, etc elites are just following).

Without weapons, and money, and threatening anyone that tries to take Israeli leadership accountable, Israel would very quickly become more democratic (allowing the occupied and refugees to vote) and less bloodthirsty since leadership would quickly be held accountable, put on trial and jailed/executed.
16-07-2014, 04:46 PM
(16-07-2014 04:46 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Religious zealots and nationalists wanted to create their own country, as was depicted in their mythology and religious books.

The reason Israel exists as it does today - nationalistic, militaristic, an unsinkable aircraft carrier for the Middle East, mass occupations, mass murders - is the carte anche from US elites (UK, Canadian, etc elites are just following).

Without weapons, and money, and threatening anyone that tries to take Israeli leadership accountable, Israel would very quickly become more democratic (allowing the occupied and refugees to vote) and less bloodthirsty since leadership would quickly be held accountable, put on trial and jailed/executed.

As opposed to Saudi Arabia which is the same except Muslim.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-07-2014, 04:50 PM
(16-07-2014 04:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 04:46 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Religious zealots and nationalists wanted to create their own country, as was depicted in their mythology and religious books.

The reason Israel exists as it does today - nationalistic, militaristic, an unsinkable aircraft carrier for the Middle East, mass occupations, mass murders - is the carte anche from US elites (UK, Canadian, etc elites are just following).

As opposed to Saudi Arabia which is the same except Muslim.

Another state fully supported by US leadership.

As religious, as bloodthirsty. Everything I said could be applied to Saudi Arabia.

More evidence that it has nothing to do with "religion" or "culture" or "race". It all has to do with policy - setting up oppressive regimes in a region that they want to control and make money off of.
16-07-2014, 04:53 PM
(16-07-2014 04:50 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 04:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  As opposed to Saudi Arabia which is the same except Muslim.

Another state fully supported by US leadership.

As religious, as bloodthirsty. Everything I said could be applied to Saudi Arabia.

More evidence that it has nothing to do with "religion" or "culture" or "race". It all has to do with policy - setting up oppressive regimes in a region that they want to control and make money off of.

Ahh but you have the wrong "they", we can blame the British for most of the middle east.