Help on Ludwig Wittgenstein

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2012, 03:02 AM
Help on Ludwig Wittgenstein
I have to do a 5 minute presentation on this philosopher in a couple of days explaining the main points of his philosophy. I’ve been reading all I can find on him for the last 4 hours or so and so far I can barely understand any of his philosophy. It’s either all over my head or I’m not in a right frame of mind to understand him.
Can anyone that knows about Ludwig Wittgenstein provide me a dumbed-down summary of some of his main points in his philosophy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know this might not be the best site to post this, but a lot of you guys are intelligent individuals so maybe someone might be able to help.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2012, 04:41 AM
RE: Help on Ludwig Wittgenstein
(11-04-2012 03:02 AM)Quik2832 Wrote:  I have to do a 5 minute presentation on this philosopher in a couple of days explaining the main points of his philosophy. I’ve been reading all I can find on him for the last 4 hours or so and so far I can barely understand any of his philosophy. It’s either all over my head or I’m not in a right frame of mind to understand him.
Can anyone that knows about Ludwig Wittgenstein provide me a dumbed-down summary of some of his main points in his philosophy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know this might not be the best site to post this, but a lot of you guys are intelligent individuals so maybe someone might be able to help.

So what have you read of his, and what have you not understood ? The Tractatus is pretty interesting. I like his ideas about linguistics. Especiallly I think you can eventually argue all religionists to his final position in the Tractatus : "whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent". Einstein

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

11-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Wittgenstein: "Why do people say it was natural to think that the sun went round the Earth rather than that the Earth turned on its axis?"

Anscombe: "I suppose because it looked as if the sun went round the Earth"

V: So what would it have looked like if it looked as if the Earth turned on its axis?

Slide 1: Hello. Thanks for coming.

Slide 2: Wittgenstein

Slide 3: He knew his shit!

Slide 4: Any questions?

11-04-2012, 07:23 AM
I much like this statement:

Quote:

Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/author...tw4eG1B.99

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-04-2012, 03:34 PM
(11-04-2012 03:02 AM)Quik2832 Wrote:   Can anyone that knows about Ludwig Wittgenstein provide me a dumbed-down summary of some of his main points in his philosophy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's probably too late now. But I'd be happy to give a short 10 minute Skype tutorial on Wittgenstein for free. I did my doctorate at Oxford on him, but I don't often get the chance to discuss him.

Dr Phil Joyce
Online philosophy tutor to university, college and school students worldwide
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes PhilosophyTutor's post
18-04-2012, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2012 04:14 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-04-2012 03:34 PM)PhilosophyTutor Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 03:02 AM)Quik2832 Wrote:   Can anyone that knows about Ludwig Wittgenstein provide me a dumbed-down summary of some of his main points in his philosophy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's probably too late now. But I'd be happy to give a short 10 minute Skype tutorial on Wittgenstein for free. I did my doctorate at Oxford on him, but I don't often get the chance to discuss him.

Yes, I would very much like to see a summarization of your thesis! Better yet, did you videotape your defense?

Thanks!

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.