Help on religion debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2016, 05:04 AM
Bug Help on religion debate
This morning I had a talk with my religious education teacher at school over god and his effect on earth. I won't say I persuaded her in the least but I still remain sceptical about his existence. She made examples of miracles that have happened to her family over the years and said that this is evidence I can't deny it exists.
The thing is, in the school break some friends/ classmates of mine also tried to convince me that god exists. They were talking about a possessed woman that lives in our town and that if I say the exorcism on front of her I will be punished. Evil_monster
I said that if I met her I would say it and nothing would happen to me. Now they are all looking at me like I'm nuts.
What should I say to support my case? Shocking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2016, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2016 08:42 AM by Ace.)
RE: Help on religion debate
oh joy

her family had experienced a few miracles... umm what were they exactly ? I want more details of these miracles to offer anything more on the matter
but all in all, if they can't produce records, photos, videos of it happening then I can't verify if what their saying actually happened or they just made it up.

and now for the lady whose possessed...... possessed by what ?
saying exorcism around her means you'll be punished.. again by who and what ? her and her walking stick ? if so then running away from her will solve your problem
this could easily be a woman with some problems... saying exorcism might just be a mental switch which triggers when she hears it, I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary here
from what you written I'm not getting much other than the standard theistic arguments... which are nonsense at best
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
30-09-2016, 08:45 AM
I'd definitely be setting up a prank. I'd rather have a good memory of naive people in a state of panic than have the satisfaction of proving to someone that I'm right.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
30-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Just look at them like they are nuts and maybe they will arrive here and ask us for help.
Then we can tell them to prove what they claim is true.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
30-09-2016, 01:51 PM
(30-09-2016 05:04 AM)pendragon Wrote:  This morning I had a talk with my religious education teacher at school over god and his effect on earth. [...]

G'day Pendragon, and welcome. Smile

I'm guessing you're attending a religion-based school? If so things are gonna be problematic for you as a potential atheist. But if it's a state-run school, then I would've thought religious preaching (proselytising) was outlawed as discriminatory behaviour.

Firstly, there's actually zero scientific evidence that so-called "miracles" have ever occurred historically, or in fact could happen. Miracles are simply events that, at the time they occur, seem to be inexplicable in cause and effect. On closer, less emotive inspection though, they're always found to be caused by logical, physical, real-world intervention, phenomena, or catalysts.

Your teacher who claims to have witnessed several family "miracles" is simply self-delusional, and—like many theists—believes that some supernatural entity intervened, or some paranormal phenomenon was causing whatever effect she witnessed. I don't mean self-delusional in a necessarily derogatory way either—theists are bound to and blinded by their faith. Bur faith is defined as belief without evidence. And, obviously, the Christian bible relies solely on "faith" for its very existence.

"Possession" and "exorcism" are simply nonsensical metaphysical notions that have—unbelievably!—survived since the Middle Ages. And once again, there is no empirical evidence that would suggest an individual has been possessed by some evil supernatural entity. The elaborate process of the religious exorcist is simply another of the many fabricated power-plays of the church.

I think your best case scenario (for the moment) is to keep your claims low key and non-confrontational. As you delve more deeply into thoughts of your atheism and/or deconversion, you'll find ever-increasing resistance—even open hostility—from your theist peers as you progress even further away from the church and its belief system.

Let's know how you're getting on with this down the track.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post