Help please!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Help please!
As usual, I'm behind the power curve here. I was never a social atheist, and I really never paid that attention to politics until the last few years, so I'm very uninformed about some things.

Here's where I need a little help. This time. Rolleyes

What the hell is WOO?

I have googled it, and have found several definitions, and I think I have a handle on it..then I see it used in a thread where the context is...well, No I really would like someone to explain Woo to me in plain english, with small words I can understand. please.

Is it an acronym? What is the etymology? I have never heard the term until coming here, and now I see it everywhere. "That theory is woo", "That guy is pure woo", "The entire book is woo intertwined with poor science". Huh?

I get the idea, I think, that it describes a sort of....unproven, faith-based approach...where the idea is ludicrous but believed anyway because of divine proclamation, or something. yes, no?

Thanks, in advance. Bowing
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2016, 02:02 PM
RE: Help please!
http://skepdic.com/woowoo.html

Woo-woo (or just plain woo) refers to ideas considered irrational or based on extremely flimsy evidence or that appeal to mysterious occult forces or powers.

Here's a dictionary definition of woo-woo:

adj. concerned with emotions, mysticism, or spiritualism; other than rational or scientific; mysterious; new agey. Also n., a person who has mystical or new age beliefs.

Hope that helps.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
19-08-2016, 02:08 PM
(19-08-2016 01:57 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  What the hell is WOO?

It's a broad term that includes any kind of superstition or unevidenced beliefs; the wilder the belief the more woo-ish it is

examples: auras, homeopathy, souls, prayer, gods, etc

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
19-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Woo=Bullshit
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
19-08-2016, 02:10 PM
(19-08-2016 02:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  http://skepdic.com/woowoo.html

Woo-woo (or just plain woo) refers to ideas considered irrational or based on extremely flimsy evidence or that appeal to mysterious occult forces or powers.

Here's a dictionary definition of woo-woo:

adj. concerned with emotions, mysticism, or spiritualism; other than rational or scientific; mysterious; new agey. Also n., a person who has mystical or new age beliefs.

Hope that helps.

Ah...that's better. So I had the basic idea correct, what was throwing me I think is that it can be an adjective or a noun. That clears it up, thanks Anj! It seems so simple, but I'd never heard it before and it kept popping up in ways that didn't fit with what I thought I knew. I wondered perhaps if there was a sort of "understood" definition that differed from the book.

I am in your debt! Worship Slaves
19-08-2016, 02:12 PM
WOW...Ask and Ye shall receive, here at TTA.

Thanks guys! You're better than Siri. Thumbsup
19-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Woo is not a word I would use outside of skeptic circles. I don't think I've ever actually heard someone say it IRL. Pseudoscience and bullshit are much more commonly understood terminology, in my experience.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
19-08-2016, 02:36 PM
(19-08-2016 02:28 PM)cactus Wrote:  Woo is not a word I would use outside of skeptic circles. I don't think I've ever actually heard someone say it IRL. Pseudoscience and bullshit are much more commonly understood terminology, in my experience.

I use it but it depends on how polite I want to be and how I assess the other person's intent. Woo fits in somewhere between pseudoscience and bullshit on the scale....

unconfirmed
questionable
pseudoscience
quackery
woo
complete and utter tripe
bullshit
popsthebuilder

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
19-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Quote:Pseudoscience and bullshit are much more commonly understood

Absolutely- now you're speaking my language. Woo is...the sound a train makes? I have never encountered it prior to coming here, in any form, written or spoken. What a bizarre little word to form...I'm going to research the etymology a bit more, it makes me curious. Bullshit is my go-to, and I doubt "Woo" will supplant it. Cool

Thanks!
19-08-2016, 02:38 PM
(19-08-2016 02:36 PM)unfogged Wrote:  unconfirmed
questionable
pseudoscience
quackery
woo
complete and utter tripe
bullshit
>Chopra
popsthebuilder

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post