Help please!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2016, 07:06 PM
RE: Help please!
(19-08-2016 01:57 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  As usual, I'm behind the power curve here. I was never a social atheist, and I really never paid that attention to politics until the last few years, so I'm very uninformed about some things.

Here's where I need a little help. This time. Rolleyes

What the hell is WOO?

I have googled it, and have found several definitions, and I think I have a handle on it..then I see it used in a thread where the context is...well, No I really would like someone to explain Woo to me in plain english, with small words I can understand. please.

Is it an acronym? What is the etymology? I have never heard the term until coming here, and now I see it everywhere. "That theory is woo", "That guy is pure woo", "The entire book is woo intertwined with poor science". Huh?

I get the idea, I think, that it describes a sort of....unproven, faith-based approach...where the idea is ludicrous but believed anyway because of divine proclamation, or something. yes, no?

Thanks, in advance. Bowing

This is woo: http://educate-yourself.org/

You might need a pitchfork for your eyes, lest you ever read anything this stupid again.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
19-08-2016, 07:16 PM
(19-08-2016 02:40 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 02:36 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I use it but it depends on how polite I want to be and how I assess the other person's intent. Woo fits in somewhere between pseudoscience and bullshit on the scale....

unconfirmed
questionable
pseudoscience
quackery
woo
complete and utter tripe
bullshit
popsthebuilder

Uh-oh... popsthebuilder HUH???

The scale does help, though! Thumbsup

Stick with us, kid (I'm 63), you will learn some pretty crazy shit around here. Some of the "kids" here will expand your mind like crazy. Same as I did when I started using the intertubes, though it wasn't here.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
19-08-2016, 11:04 PM
(19-08-2016 07:06 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  This is woo: http://educate-yourself.org/

You might need a pitchfork for your eyes, lest you ever read anything this stupid again.

That hurt my brain. Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
20-08-2016, 12:48 AM
(19-08-2016 01:57 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  As usual, I'm behind the power curve here. I was never a social atheist, and I really never paid that attention to politics until the last few years, so I'm very uninformed about some things.

Here's where I need a little help. This time. Rolleyes

What the hell is WOO?

I have googled it, and have found several definitions, and I think I have a handle on it..then I see it used in a thread where the context is...well, No I really would like someone to explain Woo to me in plain english, with small words I can understand. please.

Is it an acronym? What is the etymology? I have never heard the term until coming here, and now I see it everywhere. "That theory is woo", "That guy is pure woo", "The entire book is woo intertwined with poor science". Huh?

I get the idea, I think, that it describes a sort of....unproven, faith-based approach...where the idea is ludicrous but believed anyway because of divine proclamation, or something. yes, no?

Thanks, in advance. Bowing

Woo is that which makes your bullshit detector go outside operating parameters.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
20-08-2016, 02:15 AM
(19-08-2016 06:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  [quote='The Dark One' pid='1049172' dateline='1471637444']
I am in your debt! Worship Slaves

Quote:My plan worked perfectly. Evil_monster

Why do I feel a sudden chill.....?
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
20-08-2016, 02:32 AM
Quote:This is woo: http://educate-yourself.org/

Dear lord who aren't in heaven...

I have never seen anything like that, OMM. Right there on page one, a lengthy diatribe on the evils of "chemtrails", apparently the government is crop-dusting the entire country at high altitude for various nefarious reasons. As a person with many thousands of hours cruising the flight levels in command of my own craft, I first considered submitting an argumentative essay, an educational rebuttal...but after reading further I realized it would be completely pointless. These are the same people who believe the earth flat and domed.

I have always been too busy bouncing around the planet to spend much time reading things online, outside of specific pages dedicated to my areas of interest. I am realizing, now, that I should have left that veil in place. I am losing what little faith I had left in humanity. I honestly thought Jerry Springer and The National Enquirer were the epitome of American stupidity. Now I find that, by comparison, Jerry Springer is Professor Hawking without the wheels and the Enquirer may indeed be communication from advanced alien civilizations, A la Men in Black.

I would say Thanks, OMM...but I keep throwing up a little. Shocking

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
20-08-2016, 03:00 AM
Quote:Stick with us, kid (I'm 63), you will learn some pretty crazy shit around here. Some of the "kids" here will expand your mind like crazy. Same as I did when I started using the intertubes, though it wasn't here.

FB, I am learning things I wish I could unlearn, I think! I have always considered myself well-traveled and well-educated, I read prolifically, I have a large number of diverse interests and hobbies, I have been a police officer, a fighter pilot, an airline pilot, a heavy equipment operator, a bartender...I haven't led a secluded life by any stretch.
But I have- apparently- been living under the delusion that MOST people are rational and intelligent beings. I have certainly dealt with my share of psychotic and sociopathic people, and I even would classify some of the people I arrested as pure Evil, although not in the biblical, supernatural sense, just in the sense that they completely lack empathy, love, morality, etc.
I keep learning about more and more just...insane, unbelievably insane beliefs! There are people who, from what I can tell, spend all day, every day, searching for- and finding, at least to their own satisfaction- conspiracies involving other humans, alien life forms, other dimensions, subterranean creatures, deep sea creatures, even insects. These conspiracies are all different, but the majority seem to share one goal- the destruction and/or enslavement of the people of earth.
This isn't a tiny segment of society, either...oh sure, the extremely vocal folks are a relatively small group, the ones writing and photoshopping and extrapolating wildly from inaccurate and inadequate samplings...but the number of people regularly reading/subscribing/commenting/debating/preparing...is frightening.

And these conspiracy weirdoes are just ONE thing I've learned about recently that shook my tree, lol.

WOO. It's all making sense now. No it isn't. I lied. Gasp Nothing makes sense anymore. What the hell is wrong with people? What happened to rational thought? How in the world can these idiots believe these things? Seriously, I am deeply concerned about the future of the human race- not whether we WILL survive, but whether it's in the best interests of the Universe that we do!?!

I feel like there must be...something in our air, or water, or...something. These people aren't ignorant, or misinformed, or uneducated...they're fucking idiots!

What do we do about that, I wonder...Censored
20-08-2016, 03:27 AM
Woo = Oprah Winfrey

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
20-08-2016, 06:49 AM
(20-08-2016 02:32 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I have always been too busy bouncing around the planet to spend much time reading things online, outside of specific pages dedicated to my areas of interest. I am realizing, now, that I should have left that veil in place.

Once you take the red pill things are never the same

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
20-08-2016, 07:50 AM
Woo is just people's search for a magic pill.

We all see the world differently. No matter how rational you are, your world is not at all the same as mine. DNA, chemical balance in body and brain, childhood indoctrination or imprinting, personal experiences and environment all shape the world we see.

Many woo people are actually atheists, religion doesn't give them what they need. They are looking for other stuff to fill the void. Woo is a substitute for conventional religions.

A lot of woo people jump from one woo to another in their search. Some come out as atheists after their experimentation with all kinds of woo. Some get permanently lost in one woo or another.

Some woo has a basis in real rewards, often endorphins being released, as in aroma therapy or all kinds of weird spa treatments or chants and so on.

Some woo provides an escape from reality, a way to make sense of things, like conspiracy theories. It is no different from the origins of religions, the woo of the gaps. It can be dark like the lizard people taking over the world, or light and cheery like unicorns and fairies.

Some woo gets included in religious sects, like the fundies who handle poisonous snakes.

That's how I see woo. Yeah, it's enjoyable to make fun of it, but really it's just a bunch of lost people looking for answers. Woo and religion are much the same thing.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post