Help prevent DDOS attacks on atheist websites.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 04:37 PM by Brian37.)
Help prevent DDOS attacks on atheist websites.
There are a couple of lesser known but extremely important atheists who have helped pave an easier path for more atheists in their ability to be open and combat superstition and pulpit politics. Brian Sapient is owner of Rational Responders, who graciously has hosted my poetry thread on his website. On top of that he has debated Ray Comfort(aka Banana Man) on ABC's Nightline. Margaret Downey was organizer of the only atheist convention that I know of that had all 4 Horsemen, Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris and Dennet, and Ayaan Hirsi Ali was there too, at the 07 Convention in Washington DC. I was lucky enough to get recruited to take the roll of gofer for Margaret and met all but Ayaan.

Both Brian And Margaret are still active in atheist activism but unfortunately several atheist websites they are involved in are under sever DDOS hacker attacks and need donations to help prevent those attacks. Would it be OK for me to edit this post and add the link to where people can donate?

Thanks for the OK. Here is the link.
https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/7...-a-message

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
06-11-2015, 03:44 PM
RE: Would you mind?
I don't see this as a problem. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-11-2015, 04:03 PM
RE: Help prevent DDOS attacts on atheist websites.
Thanks and feel free to share that link on all social media regarding your atheist friends and or other websites you hang out at. We are all in this together.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
06-11-2015, 04:56 PM
RE: Help prevent DDOS attacks on atheist websites.
DDOS aren't really hacker attacks. Not sure that money is the best way to prevent them either. You essentially need to tell your server to handle a very large number of requests in a way that doesn't affect performance or shut it down. They could buy a better server, but I don't know if any server is immune to a denial of service attack.

Maybe the server should just auto-block an IP that sends more than X requests in a minute.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
06-11-2015, 04:56 PM
How would the money help against the attacks?
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-11-2015, 05:45 AM
Here is the link to Brian Sapient's FB page and his explanation as to the need for donations. https://www.facebook.com/brian.sapient?fref=ts

Again this isn't just about his website, this also affects sites Downey is involved with as well as Celebrity Atheists.

07-11-2015, 10:01 AM
(06-11-2015 03:27 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  There are a couple of lesser known but extremely important atheists who have helped pave an easier path for more atheists in their ability to be open and combat superstition and pulpit politics. Brian Sapient is owner of Rational Responders, who graciously has hosted my poetry thread on his website. On top of that he has debated Ray Comfort(aka Banana Man) on ABC's Nightline. Margaret Downey was organizer of the only atheist convention that I know of that had all 4 Horsemen, Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris and Dennet, and Ayaan Hirsi Ali was there too, at the 07 Convention in Washington DC. I was lucky enough to get recruited to take the roll of gofer for Margaret and met all but Ayaan.

Both Brian And Margaret are still active in atheist activism but unfortunately several atheist websites they are involved in are under sever DDOS hacker attacks and need donations to help prevent those attacks. Would it be OK for me to edit this post and add the link to where people can donate?

Thanks for the OK. Here is the link.
https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/7...-a-message

The sites have cloudflare from what I can tell, so I don't understand how they couldn't withstand a a typical DDOS attack?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
07-11-2015, 12:00 PM
So, are you the friend mentioned in the post, or are you the guy who posted the message?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
07-11-2015, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2015 12:56 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Quote:Somebody asked a friend of mine today how donating money helps mitigate DDoS attacks as "it's a server issue, not a money issue." Is that why I have 2 contributors generated from Facebook?
Servers cost money, either you rent one or you buy one and pay to connect it to the internet (ours was $7,000 and we are getting another one soon). With that said, we incurred costs to mitigate the DDoS attacks. I paid for minimal services however if I had raised big money I would order a higher package.
Aside from that, when hackers hit a bunch of atheist sites to take them down and learn the result is that the site raised money... they'll realize they did not win. I'm said to say that we went from about 5,000 visitors per day on our websites to about 1,000 visitors on two of the days we were being attacked and 600 visitors on the other day. As of now, the (likely religious) folks that sent us 6 gbps of traffic, won.

Not really an answer. I know that servers cost money, but clearly the server was already up. Did the attacks destroy their functioning server? What costs were incurred?
07-11-2015, 02:39 PM
We had that issue a while ago. I am not sure of all the steps Deepthought took - I know we went to cloudflare for a while - which proved to be a nuisance. I think after that we just switched to a more secure host....but I don't think we spent much money.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man