Help required for PC purchase

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Help required for PC purchase
I'm planning to buy a new computer in two weeks or so and since this is the first time I'm doing this, I don't really know which hardware has the best cost-benefit ratio.

First of all, here's my current PC setup:
- ATI Radeon HD 3800 (graphics card)
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (processor)
- 4,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 356MHz (RAM)
- ECS GeForce7050M-M (motherboard)
- 2x 977GB SAMSUNGHD103UJ ATA Device (hard drive)
- HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 ATA Device (DVD drive)
- TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D162D ATA Device (DVD drive)

Since I already have two DVD drives and two hard drives, plus all the peripherals, including a monitor, I don't need to buy a completely new PC. That's why I only want to swap out my motherboard, my processor, my graphics card, my power supply and my RAM.

The combined price of the five components mentioned above shouldn't exceed the 400€ mark. I appreciate any help. To make your choice easier: I'm playing on a 1280x1024 resolution, which means that I'm not going to need any high end hardware to play the newest games. If there's enough money left after finding a replacement for my current hardware, I'd also like to get a new casing. It's not mandatory though.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2012, 03:01 PM
RE: Help required for PC purchase
What are you gonna play on it then? And what do you have now?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
14-05-2012, 03:06 PM
(14-05-2012 03:01 PM)Caveman Wrote:  What are you gonna play on it then?

If you mean which games I'm going to play on my PC, that would be Diablo 3, CoD MW3, Risen 2, The Witcher 2, Prototype 2 and a few indie games.

Quote:And what do you have now?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if I understood that question correctly. Are you referring to my hardware? If my eyes aren't fooling me, I already posted my current PC setup.

14-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm not sure why I clicked on this thread.

- ATI Radeon HD 3800 (graphics card)
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (processor)
- 4,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 356MHz (RAM)
- ECS GeForce7050M-M (motherboard)
- HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 ATA Device (DVD drive)
- TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D162D ATA Device (DVD drive)

None of that makes any sense to me.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
14-05-2012, 03:19 PM
(14-05-2012 03:12 PM)germanyt Wrote:  None of that makes any sense to me.

It's just a list of PC hardware. Why doesn't that make any sense to you?

14-05-2012, 03:55 PM
just goto newegg.com or tigerdirect.com and use some of the utilities they have on the sites to build and compare

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
14-05-2012, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2012 04:14 PM by Vosur.)
(14-05-2012 03:55 PM)dredmal Wrote:  just goto newegg.com or tigerdirect.com and use some of the utilities they have on the sites to build and compare
I appreciate the suggestion, but I have already used such sites. They are not particularly useful if you're an amateur in this field and can therefore only compare the prices of the different products. I have little to no clue about PC hardware, meaning that I don't know what to look out for. That's the reason why I want people to give me specific suggestions on what to buy. Something else to keep in mind is that I play on a comparatively low resolution, which means that I don't know which hardware is "too good" for that use.

14-05-2012, 06:21 PM
(14-05-2012 03:19 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-05-2012 03:12 PM)germanyt Wrote:  None of that makes any sense to me.

It's just a list of PC hardware. Why doesn't that make any sense to you?
I just don't get computers. Software I get but hardware, I'm clueless. I bought a 400 dollar computer because it loaded websites fast in the store. If that's any indication of my computer knowledge.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
14-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Well, the sweet spot for graphics cards is in the $200-250 range.
I'd go for an I7 cpu with triple channel ddr.
12GB ram
Any motherboard that supports that cpu/memmory will be fine.

HDD's - 2TB is the sweet spot in $/GB

You can calculate this stuff yourself. Look at the hardware comparison graphs. Then compare prices.

It depends how well you want the game to run. Graphics settings can be tweaked. A slower cheaper I5 will still run those games.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
15-05-2012, 01:57 AM
(14-05-2012 11:49 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Well, the sweet spot for graphics cards is in the $200-250 range.
I'd go for an I7 cpu with triple channel ddr.
12GB ram
Any motherboard that supports that cpu/memmory will be fine.

HDD's - 2TB is the sweet spot in $/GB

You can calculate this stuff yourself. Look at the hardware comparison graphs. Then compare prices.

It depends how well you want the game to run. Graphics settings can be tweaked. A slower cheaper I5 will still run those games.
Although I acknowledge your efforts, I think you missed the part where I mentioned that I'm playing on a 1280x1024 resolution. Anything beyond a decent quad-core processor is a waste of money, because an I7 has way too much power for my purpose. The same goes for the graphics card. A 200$ graphics card is only needed if you play on multiple 24'' monitors. Anything beyond 4-8 GB RAM is also not needed for any game out there. My current PC setup is already good enough to play any recent game on this resolution, it's just that I have to play with medium settings.