Help required for PC purchase

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2012, 04:23 AM
RE: Help required for PC purchase
How on earth do you play anything on a ATI Radeon HD 3800, that is some old school shit right there.

You want something like a 6670+
Yea you can play those games on like a 5700, but what about the next games or the one after those?

Then you want a good processor, like a quad core something. I like AMD personally.

RAM is cheap, 4g will do either 2 2g sticks or a 4g stick it doesn't matter. You can always add more later.

As for the PSU you want corsair. I wouldn't go lower then 650-700 watts. Remember that the PSU is what keeps everything going so don't skimp out.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-05-2012, 04:37 AM
(14-05-2012 03:06 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
Quote:And what do you have now?

I already posted my current PC setup.

Yeah, ok, that makes sense, my bad. I thought it was some of the stuff you already had selected.
But yeah, bad topic for an international forum, prices are different everywhere.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
15-05-2012, 09:58 AM
(15-05-2012 04:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  How on earth do you play anything on a ATI Radeon HD 3800, that is some old school shit right there.
Don't even get me started on old school hardware. Before my brother sold his former PC to me (my current one), I was using a Nvidia GeForce 7050pv onboard graphics card with 128MB. It didn't even support DirectX 10. >_>

(15-05-2012 04:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You want something like a 6670+
Yea you can play those games on like a 5700, but what about the next games or the one after those?

Then you want a good processor, like a quad core something. I like AMD personally.

RAM is cheap, 4g will do either 2 2g sticks or a 4g stick it doesn't matter. You can always add more later.

As
for the PSU you want corsair. I wouldn't go lower then 650-700 watts.
Remember that the PSU is what keeps everything going so don't skimp out.
Thanks for the tips, I'll look into it later. I personally prefer AMD too, which is why I want to get both, the graphics card and the processor, from there.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
15-05-2012, 01:16 PM
(14-05-2012 02:56 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I'm planning to buy a new computer in two weeks or so and since this is the first time I'm doing this, I don't really know which hardware has the best cost-benefit ratio.

First of all, here's my current PC setup:
- ATI Radeon HD 3800 (graphics card)
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (processor)
- 4,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 356MHz (RAM)
- ECS GeForce7050M-M (motherboard)
- 2x 977GB SAMSUNGHD103UJ ATA Device (hard drive)
- HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 ATA Device (DVD drive)
- TSSTcorp DVD-ROM SH-D162D ATA Device (DVD drive)

Since I already have two DVD drives and two hard drives, plus all the peripherals, including a monitor, I don't need to buy a completely new PC. That's why I only want to swap out my motherboard, my processor, my graphics card, my power supply and my RAM.

The combined price of the five components mentioned above shouldn't exceed the 400€ mark. I appreciate any help. To make your choice easier: I'm playing on a 1280x1024 resolution, which means that I'm not going to need any high end hardware to play the newest games. If there's enough money left after finding a replacement for my current hardware, I'd also like to get a new casing. It's not mandatory though.
If I were you I'd go with AMD's APU. Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819106001

I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't need a separate dedicated graphics card if you didn't want to play really demanding games. I'm not really up on APU, but it does have a integrated GPU (with the CPU) that should be decent enough to do what you're asking. If want more, you can buy a separate dedicated card in the future.

Just match that with any motherboard that looks good to you and is compatible. Just check the specs or details online and you'll see where it names a list of processors. You can also run refined searches that only search for motherboards that work with APU. The socket type is what I think it usually goes by.

Then just add RAM that is also compatible with the motherboard. 2x2GB (=4GB) is good; speed is up to you, but personally I'd go for 1600 DDR3, if I were you.

The power supply is good to have at 650 or above. You really want to think about how much you'll add in the future and kind of do a calculation to see how much power you may need. Also, look to make sure it has the right hook ups for a graphics card if you ever want a dedicated one; the newer ones need to be powered directly and some older power supplies don't offer the right connections and some not enough.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 1 user Likes TrulyX's post
16-05-2012, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2012 03:33 AM by Filox.)
TECHNOLOGY BY FILOX!

Hello!! This is why we have that whole thread...

TsTsTs...

Now, basics, you need a DDR3 motherboard. First suggestion would be an i5 platform, but you can go cheaper with some AMD configuration and it will be the same for playing games. I will try to help you with some basic suggestions, but since I have no idea about the prices in your part of the world, the 400$ limit is a bit hard for me to know, you would have to help me out here with the prices.

Graphic card. Any card that is 256bit. Simple as that. If it is not 256bits, it is not as good as you would like it to be. The amount of memory it has means NOTHING, everything above 1 GB is more that enough, specially for the resolution you will be using. I presume you have a 19'' 4:3 ratio monitor, like I do?

This processor is great and not that expensive, I think it is around 200$ (at least it is in my country)

INTEL Core i3 2100 BOX, s. 1155, 3.10GHz, 3MB cache, GPU, DualCore

A motherboard for this one is something like

GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3, iZ68, DDR3, zvuk, S-ATA, RAID, G-LAN, PCI-E, CrossFireX, HDMI, USB 3.0, ATX, s. 1155

This is around 150$, so we have already came pretty close to your limit, so I think i5 can be too expensive for your limit. Or the prices in your country are much better than here. Smile

This is something cheaper, an AMD configuration with older processor, but still good, fast and even 4 cores, as opposed to the dual-core i3.

Processor AMD Athlon II X4 640 BOX, s. AM3, 3.0GHz, 2MB cache, Quad Core

The motherboard for this one would be something like

ASROCK 970 EXTREME3, AMD 970/SB950, DDR3, zvuk, SATA, G-LAN, RAID, PCI-E, CrossFireX, USB 3.0, eSATA, ATX, s. AM3 / AM3+

This one is just little above 100$ and it is pretty good as it supports both AM3 and AM3+ sockets, so you can put a better and newer processor sometime in the future. ASRock is the Asus "experimental brand", not as good as Asus, but they tend to try out new and improved things that Asus introduces some time after ASRock proves it to work. ASRock is also cheaper that Asus in most cases. It all comes to the warranty, which is the same as anyone else, so a good motherboard.

As for the DDR3 RAM, I do not think you will notice any difference in speed between some cheap-ass Kingston on 1600 MHz and some extra cooled, good-looking OCZ on 1600 MHz. So, just look at the warranty and choose the one that has the most years (months) written on it. As for the durability of the memory, pure luck. The most expensive one can die on you, or the cheapest one can last you forever. So, just take something that has longer warranty. Take 4 GB, and be sure to pair it so you have dual-channel active. 1600 MHz is what you want, 2x2 GB is optimum, so you can put another 2x2GB when you need it in the future. It makes a difference, fast memory is always needed.

As for the PSU (power unit), I prefer Antec, but that can be a bit expensive. You want some brand name at at least 500W, my suggestion would be 550W. As for the good brands, you have: Antec, OCZ, Fortron, XFX, Corsair and Mushkin. I also heard that Scythe is good and not too expensive one. So, just look at the power output and some of these brands and you can't go wrong. If they are too expensive, there are cheaper options, like LC Power, but then you need at least 550W or 600W, as these cheaper PSU's don't give as much "real power" as the more expensive brand-name ones.

In the end we have the most important part of your configuration and that would be graphic card. When I say the most important part I am considering game playing, even with your current configuration and a good new graphic card, you would be able to play most new games on high to mid level graphic details.

There is a whole sea of new graphic card, so to tell you the one to choose is difficult. It is much easier to narrow your selection. First, anything that is less that 100$ is not worth the time. Then anything with passive cooling is an egg-fryer, so ignore it, you NEED to have an active cooler on a graphic card, if you plan on using it under pressure for some time. As I said, my suggestion would be any 256bit card, but they tend to be a bit more expensive today, so maybe they would be out of your league, but do not despair, a 128 bit can be as good, it's only that I am an 256bit Nazi. Smile

Maybe something like this, if you can afford it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA+-+GeFor...Id=2389164

Or the ATI/AMD 6770?

I would like someone else to give their input on graphic cards, I tend to be old school here, it's been a while when I was checking the graphic cards and what's new on the market...

Hope I helped.

Peace.

P.S.

Some people are suggesting PSU of 600W and more, but they fail to realize that new components tend to spend less and less power, and therefore you do not need a 700W supply. 550W is more than enough for the graphic card that will fit into your money limit category. All other components do not spend so much power, so a 550W is enough, but not the cheap ones. A cheap 550W PSU is closer to 400W of real power, that is why I have listed some brand names for you, they are more expensive but if they say 550W, then it is 550W. As for what you would need, just look at your graphic card and search what does it say on the box, how strong a power supply that cards would like you to have. Let that be your main guide.

Once you have enough money, look for a SATA3 controller and an SSD OCZ Vertex3 disk. That shit will speed up your computer to unimaginable speeds, NOTHING ever will make such a huge difference as this option. Unfortunately, it is still expensive and I wouldn't recommend anything slower than this SSD on SATA3, SATA2 is faster than your hard-disk, but not as nearly as fast as Vertex3. This will also require you to reinstall your OS, since this SSD is meant for the system/applications(games) to be on it, this is NOT a storage disk. It can be, but there really is no point.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
16-05-2012, 08:07 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2012 08:13 AM by Vosur.)
First of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to write such a detailed response. Second of all, I do indeed have a 19'' 4:3 monitor. Third of all, I've finally read all of your posts and have come to the following setup:

Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD6850 (114€) or Asustek AMD Radeon HD 6770 (103€)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (102€)
Power supply: Be quiet! 530W (60€) or Be quiet! 630W (78€)
Mainboard: ASRock 870 EXTREME3 (79€)
RAM: 2x Corsair 2GB 1600Mhz (30€)

Overall costs: ~385€

A friend of mine works at a computer store, which is why he get's a 15% discount on everything. If he buys that hardware from there, the overall price would be merely ~327€. I will probably spend the rest of my money on an SSD, as you advised me.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

16-05-2012, 12:27 PM
(14-05-2012 06:21 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(14-05-2012 03:19 PM)Vosur Wrote:  It's just a list of PC hardware. Why doesn't that make any sense to you?
I just don't get computers. Software I get but hardware, I'm clueless. I bought a 400 dollar computer because it loaded websites fast in the store. If that's any indication of my computer knowledge.

Then maybe your wisdom is better served in another topic? Let the techies take this one Wink

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
16-05-2012, 08:09 PM
(16-05-2012 08:07 AM)Vosur Wrote:  First of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to write such a detailed response. Second of all, I do indeed have a 19'' 4:3 monitor. Third of all, I've finally read all of your posts and have come to the following setup:

Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD6850 (114€) or Asustek AMD Radeon HD 6770 (103€)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (102€)
Power supply: Be quiet! 530W (60€) or Be quiet! 630W (78€)
Mainboard: ASRock 870 EXTREME3 (79€)
RAM: 2x Corsair 2GB 1600Mhz (30€)

Overall costs: ~385€

A friend of mine works at a computer store, which is why he get's a 15% discount on everything. If he buys that hardware from there, the overall price would be merely ~327€. I will probably spend the rest of my money on an SSD, as you advised me.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!
Spend the extra 11pounds.

Same processor as mine, (except I got the 955, not 965, older computer). It is a very good processor, you can overclock quiet nicely I find I can use my 3.2GHz at 3.4GHz no problem at all. So I imagine the 965 would be the same. but you don't need to worry about overclocking.

You might as well buy a case and make another computer.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
17-05-2012, 03:25 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2012 03:28 AM by Filox.)
Hey, hold on a sec, I am 100% sure I have written a short response here yesterday, yet the post is not here anymore... Strange, where did it go? Admin team - to the rescue!

Anyway, I said that I would go for the ATI 6850.

I also said that I have never heard of the BeQuiet! PSU's, they do not appear to sell here in my country, but they do look awesome on the pics, and they are German made and everything made in Germany is top quality. But still, I would go for the Antec or Corsair, maybe XFX or OCZ...

Enjoy the new computer and all these new games. Welcome to the no-sleep world.

P.S.

http://www.hwcompare.com/5892/radeon-hd-...n-hd-6850/

6850 is 256bit card, so no question, it is better, no matter what the clock speed says, as you can clearly see on these comparisons in the link.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
17-05-2012, 06:26 AM
(17-05-2012 03:25 AM)Filox Wrote:  I also said that I have never heard of the BeQuiet! PSU's, they do not appear to sell here in my country, but they do look awesome on the pics, and they are German made and everything made in Germany is top quality. But still, I would go for the Antec or Corsair, maybe XFX or OCZ...
Be quiet is the top power supply seller in Germany. It has won the award for the best hardware selling company 6 years in a row. Their products are indeed top quality, my brother uses one of their power supplies too and it works great.