Help save this women's college.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Help save this women's college.
Please help this woman's college stay open. This is in the same area of "Liberty University" but is a REAL college. https://savingsweetbriar.com/

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2015, 09:13 AM
RE: Help save this women's college.
"Women's" college? Yea, how about no.
How about we have equality and not support sexiest institutions such as an all Women's college. It's bad enough we have all girls or all boys primary/intermediate/high schools.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
02-04-2015, 09:14 AM
(02-04-2015 09:13 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  "Women's" college? Yea, how about no.
How about we have equality and not support sexiest institutions such as an all Women's college. It's bad enough we have all girls or all boys primary/intermediate/high schools.

I'm all for causes but not causes that perpetuate division between genders.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
03-04-2015, 06:07 AM
(02-04-2015 09:14 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 09:13 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  "Women's" college? Yea, how about no.

I'm all for causes but not causes that perpetuate division between genders.

Sadly I agree.

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
[+] 2 users Like Spooky's post
03-04-2015, 06:28 AM
Um no, how about you not judge that college. There are black colleges too.

You want sexism and right wing bullshit, attack Liberty 25 miles down the road. Sweet Briar is a very liberal college.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2015, 10:05 PM
(03-04-2015 06:28 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Um no, how about you not judge that college. There are black colleges too.

You want sexism and right wing bullshit, attack Liberty 25 miles down the road. Sweet Briar is a very liberal college.

I'm anti black colleges too. FYI.

[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
03-04-2015, 10:20 PM
(03-04-2015 10:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 06:28 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Um no, how about you not judge that college. There are black colleges too.

I'm anti black colleges too. FYI.

Aye. Anything that divides any group from all the others is bad. That includes everyone. Not just when white men do it.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
04-04-2015, 05:09 AM
(03-04-2015 10:20 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 10:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm anti black colleges too. FYI.

Aye. Anything that divides any group from all the others is bad. That includes everyone. Not just when white men do it.

There was a time and place for both Black and Womens colleges once upon a time but it is long since past.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-04-2015, 06:36 AM
Hm, never really thought it about it that way as being more of a gender divide. I always thought the purpose of those colleges, programs, scholarships, etc. were to aid those that were considered minorities. Not that I think they're trying to become more superior than the majority. It's just to grant them opportunities that they might otherwise be denied because of inevitable sexism, racism, etc. Until there's definite equality for all, those schools and all will still continue to function. Just because we wouldn't deny equal opportunity to other minorities, doesn't necessarily mean everyone else doesn't. There's obviously still some incredibly backwards people out there.

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
04-04-2015, 07:01 AM
(04-04-2015 06:36 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  Hm, never really thought it about it that way as being more of a gender divide. I always thought the purpose of those colleges, programs, scholarships, etc. were to aid those that were considered minorities. Not that I think they're trying to become more superior than the majority. It's just to grant them opportunities that they might otherwise be denied because of inevitable sexism, racism, etc. Until there's definite equality for all, those schools and all will still continue to function. Just because we wouldn't deny equal opportunity to other minorities, doesn't necessarily mean everyone else doesn't. There's obviously still some incredibly backwards people out there.

I'm not against giving people who deserve to go to college but can't, such as because of money, a helping hand. That's why we have scholarships.
Women and black people in colleges is such a norm now it shouldn't be an issue and maybe it's not the norm in these areas because they go to black and women's colleges.

When all you see at your college is white males it's a little hard to get people to break away from outdated stereotypes that black people and women are stupid/less educated.

Oh and while I bring up scholarships, I'm anti-gender/ethnicity based scholarships. There are poor white males that can't afford to go to college. They should be if your grades are X and your parents total income is Y you get Z amount in scholarship grants. Even the parents income and being poor is dubious because why should someone who has worked their butt off to get the best grades in school not get a scholarship simply because their parents are rich? However, it is the poor who need scholarships the most so I accept this.

Inclusion and making everything the same, so all the girls and blacks and boys and whites all go to the same school, is a sure fire way to put a dent in racism and sexism and other forms of discrimination. When you separate these groups you're doing more harm than good.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post