Help save this women's college.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2015, 07:15 AM
RE: Help save this women's college.
(04-04-2015 07:01 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 06:36 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  Hm, never really thought it about it that way as being more of a gender divide. I always thought the purpose of those colleges, programs, scholarships, etc. were to aid those that were considered minorities. Not that I think they're trying to become more superior than the majority. It's just to grant them opportunities that they might otherwise be denied because of inevitable sexism, racism, etc. Until there's definite equality for all, those schools and all will still continue to function. Just because we wouldn't deny equal opportunity to other minorities, doesn't necessarily mean everyone else doesn't. There's obviously still some incredibly backwards people out there.

I'm not against giving people who deserve to go to college but can't, such as because of money, a helping hand. That's why we have scholarships.
Women and black people in colleges is such a norm now it shouldn't be an issue and maybe it's not the norm in these areas because they go to black and women's colleges.

When all you see at your college is white males it's a little hard to get people to break away from outdated stereotypes that black people and women are stupid/less educated.

Oh and while I bring up scholarships, I'm anti-gender/ethnicity based scholarships. There are poor white males that can't afford to go to college. They should be if your grades are X and your parents total income is Y you get Z amount in scholarship grants. Even the parents income and being poor is dubious because why should someone who has worked their butt off to get the best grades in school not get a scholarship simply because their parents are rich? However, it is the poor who need scholarships the most so I accept this.

Inclusion and making everything the same, so all the girls and blacks and boys and whites all go to the same school, is a sure fire way to put a dent in racism and sexism and other forms of discrimination. When you separate these groups you're doing more harm than good.

I'm pretty indifferent to gender and race-based scholarships and the like. I personally haven't experienced a great deal of discrimination on my part, being a woman, but that's not the say it doesn't happen to others in other areas in the country. I definitely agree on the fact that any and all students coming from lower income-based families should be more so considered for scholarships and that there should be more scholarships out there that cater to those needs.

I would think that there aren't as many race/gender based schools as there once was. I could be wrong, but I do agree that they should gradually close those schools down as we continue to progress as a nation. I really feel that we haven't even begun scratching the surface on the majority of these issues though. But baby steps!

I do get where you're coming from and I agree with all the points you make. I just think it's hard to say what is still needed and necessary for some minorities who actually experience more hardship than maybe we do.

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2015, 09:18 AM
(04-04-2015 05:09 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 10:20 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Aye. Anything that divides any group from all the others is bad. That includes everyone. Not just when white men do it.

There was a time and place for both Black and Womens colleges once upon a time but it is long since past.

Is there still a decent amount of women and blacks that may want to go to a school specified to them in a way. As long as that exists, I'd think it's still the time for it.

It's not some criteria only about giving minorities the same chances of going to college as others or any debate like that. It's still a situation of some desiring an environment that has less of some hassles that still do exist far too much at main universities.

While yes diversity in universities is a method to help combat these issues, it's not like that's limited by some minimal percent of specific style schools across the country. Having those option still open is also allowing for there to be that diversity of experience and choice as well.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-04-2015, 09:34 AM
(04-04-2015 09:18 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 05:09 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  There was a time and place for both Black and Womens colleges once upon a time but it is long since past.

Is there still a decent amount of women and blacks that may want to go to a school specified to them in a way. As long as that exists, I'd think it's still the time for it.

It's not some criteria only about giving minorities the same chances of going to college as others or any debate like that. It's still a situation of some desiring an environment that has less of some hassles that still do exist far too much at main universities.

While yes diversity in universities is a method to help combat these issues, it's not like that's limited by some minimal percent of specific style schools across the country. Having those option still open is also allowing for there to be that diversity of experience and choice as well.

The economic failure of these kinds of institutions shows much more the lack of need for them. I am less versed on Women's colleges but I know historically Black colleges are in a lot of financial troubles due to low attendance. Gramblings for instance has been in the news of late because of their needing to gut all extra curricular activities (such as football and other sports) due to lack of funding. This thread is about trying to save one of these colleges from going bankrupt, maybe it is time to let the free market take it's course here, if there is not enough support to sustain these types of institutions maybe they should go the way of the dinosaur.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-04-2015, 09:56 AM
(04-04-2015 09:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 09:18 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Is there still a decent amount of women and blacks that may want to go to a school specified to them in a way. As long as that exists, I'd think it's still the time for it.

The economic failure of these kinds of institutions shows much more the lack of need for them. I am less versed on Women's colleges but I know historically Black colleges are in a lot of financial troubles due to low attendance. Gramblings for instance has been in the news of late because of their needing to gut all extra curricular activities (such as football and other sports) due to lack of funding. This thread is about trying to save one of these colleges from going bankrupt, maybe it is time to let the free market take it's course here, if there is not enough support to sustain these types of institutions maybe they should go the way of the dinosaur.

A well-respected women's liberal arts college here in Massachusetts, Wheaton College, was faced with these issues 30 years ago and went co-ed as their solution. It worked for them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2015, 10:00 AM
(04-04-2015 05:09 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  There was a time and place for both Black and Womens colleges once upon a time but it is long since past.

What about people with the desire to attend white male-only schools?
04-04-2015, 10:06 AM
(04-04-2015 10:00 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 09:18 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Is there still a decent amount of women and blacks that may want to go to a school specified to them in a way. As long as that exists, I'd think it's still the time for it.

Do any still exist? If there isn't a demand, they won't exist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-04-2015, 10:07 AM
(04-04-2015 10:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 10:00 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  What about people with the desire to attend white male-only schools?

Do any still exist? If there isn't a demand, they won't exist.

Even if there is a demand, they wouldn't exist.
05-04-2015, 10:16 PM

If they expect white people to be inclusive, they can start by being inclusive towards white people. If that makes sense.
it's not as racist a comment as it comes across as

[Image: oscar.png]
08-04-2015, 07:36 PM
(04-04-2015 10:00 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  

Fuck 'em?

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
08-04-2015, 10:05 PM
(08-04-2015 07:36 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 10:00 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  What about people with the desire to attend white male-only schools?

Fuck 'em?

And fuck anyone with the desire to attend a school tailored for a specific colour and/or sex of people.