Help through Deconversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2013, 09:05 AM
RE: Help through Deconversion
(24-10-2013 09:00 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 06:40 AM)excubitor Wrote:  You don't. You tell a priest that you have committed a mortal sin and need absolution. He will baptise you and confirm you into the Catholic church.

Unfortunately, this sad, completely deluded geocentrist (!!), who actually still believes that the Earth is the center of the universe, and who has been banned from his own religion's site, (Catholic Answers), actually knows nothing about his own religion's theology. There are 3 requirements for mortal sin. Anyone acting in honest good faith, meets none of those requirements, and the third one, ("complete consent"), even their own theologians agree, their god alone, can be the judge (of that).
So, 1. Exhibitor is a judgmental jerk, (even though his Jebus told him to "judge not") which is typical self-righteous babble from "church ladies"
2. he actually knows nothing about his religion's systematics,
3. he thinks he is equivalent to his deity, and competent to judge what is in someone else's mind.

Just use the ignore function.

It's alright. To each his own, that's why we're here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2013, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2013 09:22 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-10-2013 07:42 AM)excubitor Wrote:  but if there is one thing I hate with a perfect hatred it is apostates. People who have been given pearls of great price that have thrown them to the pigs and chosen to clothe themselves with pig shit.
If my words have not pricked you in the heart and moved you to repentance then you are lost and destined for hell. I will not pray for you. Goodbye. You are on my ignore list.

St. Augustine's Letter 211 (c. 424) :
"Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum"
"With love for mankind and hatred of sins." The phrase has become more famous as "love the sinner but hate the sin" or "hate the sin and not the sinner".

Dude isn't really even a Catholic. Weeping

We hate in others what we most fear in ourselves.
- Anonymous

In time we hate that which we often fear.
- William Shakespeare

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-10-2013, 09:09 AM
(24-10-2013 08:53 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 08:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have never been a believer, so I can't speak directly to that.

However, I don't believe in any gods because there is no evidence for their existence.
Beyond mathematics, all knowledge is provisional - it is all based on evidence and not all the evidence is known.

Without an absolute like a theistic god, you are on your own, but with a little help from your friends. If you can't live with uncertainty, I suggest trying a different universe. Big Grin

I didn't bring my towel, so I'm stuck in this universe unfortunately.

My current goal is to at least solidify my deconversion from Christianity. I still have ties to it through my family and the last two decades or so of my life, so I need to come to terms with the fact that I've changed first.

Fuck - you forgot your towel? Shocking

I was implying that deconversion involves transitioning from belief in and need of absolutes to understanding of and acceptance of uncertainties.

It is a change of world view. It all ties together.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-10-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm feeling spunky, so I'll feed the trolls.

(24-10-2013 08:26 AM)excubitor Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 07:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Cool. Not a problem Thumbsup
Are you a moderator or a mouse? Either I have broken a rule or else I have not. Why do you need the approval of a newb before you make a decision? Sorry mate but that is pathetic in a whole world of patheticness.

Adminstrator, actually.

Because it's his decision if he wants the post protected from trolling.

Quote:Where do you intend to move my post to? Aren't I already in the heavy stuff (not for fairies) section. If you can't handle my words in the heavy stuff area then you have failed and are defeated. What do you have left? Move me to the "very heavy and difficult we don' t know how to handle this because we have backbones of water" section? What do I care?

Reading isn't your strong point, eh? I would move it to a protected forum... as I said.

Quote:If I cannot reach Jasozz who is so far the only person who I might have hoped to save here then I have failed in this forum. Time to shake the dust off my feet and move on.

Jasozz is an enormous failure. All that investment in a christian upbringing, raised by a christian father all flushed down the toilet. What a disgraceful failure. Failed his church, failed his pastors, failed his father. Now he has failed me as well. Stands to reason therefore that he has failed God and the life that God planted in him.

This forum is like the elephant graveyard where young men who have failed their parents go to wallow in death. Where saints fail to rescue even the most hopeful of them. What sorrow. What despair. It's too much for me. I will move on to greener pastures. Nice work Jasozz. If I can't save you, the only person here who I could have hoped to save, then my time is wasted here.

You're a pretty bad "Christian" IMO. In your view, God is a putz that failed to convert someone and can't convert someone.

Your ego is so large that you feel as if you, and only you, can convert people and do the job where God failed and could not. In that, you apparently suck as much as God because you failed as well.

Your view of God is a weakling. Why are you worshiping such of pansie?

In any event, if you're leaving, ciao. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
24-10-2013, 09:12 AM
(24-10-2013 09:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 08:53 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  I didn't bring my towel, so I'm stuck in this universe unfortunately.

My current goal is to at least solidify my deconversion from Christianity. I still have ties to it through my family and the last two decades or so of my life, so I need to come to terms with the fact that I've changed first.

Fuck - you forgot your towel? Shocking

I was implying that deconversion involves transitioning from belief in and need of absolutes to understanding of and acceptance of uncertainties.

It is a change of world view. It all ties together.

Yeah, I think I understand that.

Its just kind of weird. I honestly don't intend to try and deconvert anyone in my family, because they're happy believing what they do, and that's great. I just want to get somewhere that I can be SECURE in my thoughts about life and the universe.

And yeah, I forgot my towel. Long story short, you can't shoot a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster without expecting to wake up at least two continents away. In the panic I must've left it at home.
24-10-2013, 09:14 AM
(24-10-2013 09:05 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 09:00 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Unfortunately, this sad, completely deluded geocentrist (!!), who actually still believes that the Earth is the center of the universe, and who has been banned from his own religion's site, (Catholic Answers), actually knows nothing about his own religion's theology. There are 3 requirements for mortal sin. Anyone acting in honest good faith, meets none of those requirements, and the third one, ("complete consent"), even their own theologians agree, their god alone, can be the judge (of that).
So, 1. Exhibitor is a judgmental jerk, (even though his Jebus told him to "judge not") which is typical self-righteous babble from "church ladies"
2. he actually knows nothing about his religion's systematics,
3. he thinks he is equivalent to his deity, and competent to judge what is in someone else's mind.

Just use the ignore function.

It's alright. To each his own, that's why we're here.

.... I'm pretty sure that's NOT why Excubiator is here.

This thread can easily qualify for either this forum or the personal support forum, which I'm guessing is where the mods were offering to move it to. The personal support forum has rules against negativity, and what Excubiator did, while perfectly allowable in this forum, would have been a serious offense there.

Also, say hi to King's Chosen, the token decent theist on this forum. (There are a few other decent theists in and out from time to time, but none stick around for long. The Thinking Theist looks promising. But KC is one of the Great Old Ones.) Any other theists here with a high post count are just here to harass you, harangue you, present specious arguments, or otherwise be jerkfaced.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
24-10-2013, 09:16 AM
(24-10-2013 09:14 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 09:05 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  It's alright. To each his own, that's why we're here.

.... I'm pretty sure that's NOT why Excubiator is here.

This thread can easily qualify for either this forum or the personal support forum, which I'm guessing is where the mods were offering to move it to. The personal support forum has rules against negativity, and what Excubiator did, while perfectly allowable in this forum, would have been a serious offense there.

Also, say hi to King's Chosen, the token decent theist on this forum. (There are a few other decent theists in and out from time to time, but none stick around for long. The Thinking Theist looks promising. But KC is one of the Great Old Ones.) Any other theists here with a high post count are just here to harass you, harangue you, present specious arguments, or otherwise be jerkfaced.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks Smile
24-10-2013, 09:21 AM
(23-10-2013 06:06 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  1. What if I'm wrong and there is still a God/Hell?

Which god, which hell? Think of all the religions that exist and have existed. I'll bet you didn't spend much time worrying about them. You were taught to believe only one of many different religions. Give it time; it's hard to change your worldview!

(23-10-2013 06:06 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  2. How do I tell my entirely Christian family that I don't believe anymore?

I have no advice here, other than to be patient and (in my opinion) avoid debating theology. If they ask why you don't believe, tell them. If they try to debate with you, simply explain that you understand why they still believe, but it no longer works for you.

(23-10-2013 06:06 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  3. If I have children, how do I raise them? I know that my experiences in the church and the mission field had a huge part in defining who I am today, and while I don't believe in that God anymore, how do I raise my children with those values while dealing with a family that is Christian?

All children are born atheists. You raise them the way you were raised, minus the god-story. Why did you do good? To get into heaven? Or to make the world a better place for those living in it? I know which answer I'd pick Smile

(23-10-2013 06:06 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  4. (The Big One) I now feel like life is pointless. Recently I can't get excited about anything because my mind just jumps to "it won't matter and you're going to die eventually". I've also developed a MASSIVE fear of my own mortality since this deconversion thing kicked into high-gear, due to A) being afraid of being wrong and there being an eternal punishment and B) feeling the brevity of life now that I've started really thinking about it.

The thing that was making you feel purpose wasn't real. You're now shifting towards living your life for a real reason: it's the only one you have. Take risks, make friends, travel, and soak in every incredible moment. Be happy that you will no longer waste time in this life dreaming of another life.

Excubitor, where can I find these amazing drugs you're on? Hobo

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
24-10-2013, 09:21 AM
(24-10-2013 09:11 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  << Youtube Video >>

Thanks for this. Watched just the .0 segment, I will watch the rest of it after work. Im intrigued by its premise of a fair treatment of both sides.
[+] 1 user Likes Jasozz's post