Help understanding A.D B.C

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2014, 09:30 PM
RE: Help understanding A.D B.C
Christians have stated that because our calendar uses the birth of Christ as the year one that this is proof of him as the son of god. Facepalm I've had online debates with idiot christians about this very subject.

The world should start using a different dating system, something that is more scientific and not wrapped around some guys birth 2000 years ago that others claimed to be god.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2014, 09:37 PM
(21-11-2014 09:30 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Christians have stated that because our calendar uses the birth of Christ as the year one that this is proof of him as the son of god. Facepalm I've had online debates with idiot christians about this very subject.

The world should start using a different dating system, something that is more scientific and not wrapped around some guys birth 2000 years ago that others claimed to be god.

B.C.E. = before current era

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
21-11-2014, 10:44 PM
(21-11-2014 09:37 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 09:30 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Christians have stated that because our calendar uses the birth of Christ as the year one that this is proof of him as the son of god. Facepalm I've had online debates with idiot christians about this very subject.

B.C.E. = before current era

Yeah, I'm aware of the BCE thing. I donno, it needs to not have any kind of BC mixed in with the E because so many people think of BC as before Christ. I was thinking of something to signify the age of the Earth but I don't know quite how that would work either.

I think when the day comes that we drop the birth of christ as a dating system, this will be the day that christianity really, truly dies out.

I know, I know, this may never happen but it's nice to think about.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
22-11-2014, 12:19 AM
(21-11-2014 10:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 09:37 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  B.C.E. = before current era

Yeah, I'm aware of the BCE thing. I donno, it needs to not have any kind of BC mixed in with the E because so many people think of BC as before Christ. I was thinking of something to signify the age of the Earth but I don't know quite how that would work either.

I think when the day comes that we drop the birth of christ as a dating system, this will be the day that christianity really, truly dies out.

I know, I know, this may never happen but it's nice to think about.

The point of it was to make something sensible and modern without having to shift. If we tried to do something on par with the age of the earth or any other random moment in time.. it would cause extreme confusion and mass attempts to re-categorizing historical dating so the generations that follow us could understand dates of the past.

If humanity doesn't kill itself and the majority of civilizations that use the system... even China for the most part politically now uses the system I think.. I think it will remain long after Christianity is pass over as anything relevant.

Unless we see a nuclear catastrophe and begin counting from that point forward, I see no logical reason for a shift.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson