Help with a school paper

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Help with a school paper
Hello all,
This is my first post to the forums and I come bearing advice. For an english assignment in school, I am to write an argumentative essay about any topic of my choosing. Not to waste this opportunity, I decided to choose something of my interest and the argument I chose to come up with is

Why the Bible is Not Meant to be Taken Literally

I am considering pointing out contradictions in the bible, the numerous authors, the point at which it was written, and how Jesus supposedly went to India to study for 17 years but I was hoping if anyone has any ideas about stronger fallacies of the bible in addition to the aforementioned ones or any prime sources to look at (aside from The Thinking Athiest Podcast of course Smile )

Thank you for at least reading this, let alone any advice Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2015, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2015 09:54 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Help with a school paper
Welcome to TTA.

The creation myth. Adam and Eve. Global flood. All disproved by modern scientific knowledge.

But the paper's title needs to be "Why the Bible Can Not be Taken Literally ... whether it was meant to be taken literally is a whole different kettle of ball-games. Maybe some authors were writing in metaphor, maybe some were not.

And I think you are seeking advice, not bearing it. But we'll take whatever you've got.

Good luck with the paper.

Smile

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
14-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Start here, lots to read and consider.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
14-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Prime Sources:

The Bible: a Historical and Literary Introduction by Bart Ehrman.

The End of Biblical Studies by Hector Avalos.

The IVP Bible Background Commentary by Walton, Matthews, Chavalas.

A History of God by Karen Armstrong

Primal Myths by Barbara Sproul
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Here, this may help:

http://www.yorku.ca/dcarveth/false_testament

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
14-11-2015, 09:55 AM
I'd stick to known facts about the bible. Or known lack of facts. Fact is there is a myth that Jesus went to India, but there are no reputable sources. Probably because a real Yeshua Ben Yosef never actually existed.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
14-11-2015, 10:00 AM
I would also read some books by Israel Finkelstein like The Bible Unearthed. The book explains what was found from an archaeological perspective re: The Bible.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Go to google image. Type in: Graphic of fallacies in bible.

You'll get a rainbow connection of the majority of contradictions in the story thrown together in the bible.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
14-11-2015, 10:37 AM
You could also talk about the fact that some biblical stories are virtually identical to pagan myths, for example the flood story and the epic of Gilgamesh. The flood is a pretty strong point because there would be very obvious archaeological evidence for it. Also, the genealogy from Jesus back to Adam suggests that the earth is 6 to 10 thousand years old which we know is not true. There is no evidence for a mass exodus either. Good luck with your paper...I envy you, my teacher won't let us write about religion. I guess it's too easy of a target...

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
14-11-2015, 10:53 AM
(14-11-2015 10:27 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Go to google image. Type in: Graphic of fallacies in bible.

You'll get a rainbow connection of the majority of contradictions in the story thrown together in the bible.

Great link, thanks!

http://www.project-reason.org/bibleContra_big.pdf

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce