Help with a school paper

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2015, 04:03 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2015 04:08 AM by Reltzik.)
RE: Help with a school paper
(14-11-2015 08:37 AM)powderplayer Wrote:  Hello all,
This is my first post to the forums and I come bearing advice. For an english assignment in school, I am to write an argumentative essay about any topic of my choosing. Not to waste this opportunity, I decided to choose something of my interest and the argument I chose to come up with is

Why the Bible is Not Meant to be Taken Literally

I am considering pointing out contradictions in the bible, the numerous authors, the point at which it was written, and how Jesus supposedly went to India to study for 17 years but I was hoping if anyone has any ideas about stronger fallacies of the bible in addition to the aforementioned ones or any prime sources to look at (aside from The Thinking Athiest Podcast of course Smile )

Thank you for at least reading this, let alone any advice Smile

.... not meant to be taken literally by WHOM?

By the fundamentalist evangelists who are handing out copies of it and saying every word of it is truth and if we think we have a contradiction we're just reading it wrong with our hearts closed to God? Yeah, they mean for us to take it literally.

By the very liberal denominations who say that much of it is metaphor for something deeper? No, obviously not.

By the Christians of the council of Nicaea and the century following, who made all the editorial decisions of what books to cut out and what books to leave in, and the scribes of the same era who were making additions, interpolations, and other forgeries? It was a mix of committee and anarchy, and we can't really ascribe one unanimous intention to that varied group.

By the Christian god? Tell you what. If you can find out what the Christian god wants -- and which one (if any) of the tens of thousands of Christian denominations (and millions of non-affiliated individuals) are getting it right... and find a way to judge which if any is right WITHOUT first coming up with an idea of whether that god means the Bible to be read literally... then MAYBE you're qualified to answer that. (Probably not, though. I'd guess you'd have a lot of competition that's just as qualified and that much of that competition would disagree with you.) Of course, if you first decide that the Bible's not meant to be taken literally, and then use a non-literal interpretation of the Bible (or anything it talks about, like the Christian god) to demonstrate it's not meant to be taken literally, that's circular reasoning.

Remember, it's possible for someone to put together an inconsistent, illogical, inaccurate, mutually-contradictory set of tales and mean for them to all be taken literally. Contradictions and multiple authors aren't necessarily proof they didn't want it taken literally. It could just as easily be a sign that they screwed up. (That would, I think be a hasty conclusion fallacy, though I suspect it can fit under other headings as well.) Human incompetence is one of the constants of history, and if you doubt that, count up the number of times people started land wars in Asia.

I haven't read his work, but from what I've heard Richard Carrier and his mythicist positions would be quite relevant to what you're examining. Seth's October 6th show is a good listen if you want a brief summary of it, and if you want more detail you can read what he's produced on the topic.

(14-11-2015 09:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  But the paper's title needs to be "Why the Bible Can Not be Taken Literally ... whether it was meant to be taken literally is a whole different kettle of ball-games. Maybe some authors were writing in metaphor, maybe some were not.

Obviously it can be taken literally. We know it can be taken literally because we've seen people take it literally. See my earlier comments on human incompetence.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2015, 04:38 AM
(18-11-2015 04:03 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  See my earlier comments on human incompetence.

Can't find 'em Sad

Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-11-2015, 04:39 AM
OP, what's this about Jesus going to India? I ain't never heerd o' that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-11-2015, 06:55 PM
(18-11-2015 04:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  OP, what's this about Jesus going to India? I ain't never heerd o' that.

That's where he turned the dirty water into chai . . .

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2015, 07:01 PM
(14-11-2015 08:37 AM)powderplayer Wrote:  Hello all,
This is my first post to the forums and I come bearing advice. For an english assignment in school, I am to write an argumentative essay about any topic of my choosing. Not to waste this opportunity, I decided to choose something of my interest and the argument I chose to come up with is

Why the Bible is Not Meant to be Taken Literally

I am considering pointing out contradictions in the bible, the numerous authors, the point at which it was written, and how Jesus supposedly went to India to study for 17 years but I was hoping if anyone has any ideas about stronger fallacies of the bible in addition to the aforementioned ones or any prime sources to look at (aside from The Thinking Athiest Podcast of course Smile )

Thank you for at least reading this, let alone any advice Smile

Browse here...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
24-11-2015, 07:24 PM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.