Help with "you're taking that one passage out of context"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2013, 12:38 PM
RE: Help with "you're taking that one passage out of context"
(10-07-2013 12:37 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You might actually be taking it out of context, but I doubt the Christians know how you are taking it out of context. I'll elaborate if you want me to, if not, no big deal.

Also, the stuff Bucky mentioned has a legitimate explanation. Again, if want to just go with what the others say, that's fine. If you want me to elaborate, just ask.

Oh please do, I always enjoy a good acrobatics show. Smile

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2013, 12:43 PM
(10-07-2013 12:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-07-2013 12:37 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You might actually be taking it out of context, but I doubt the Christians know how you are taking it out of context. I'll elaborate if you want me to, if not, no big deal.

Also, the stuff Bucky mentioned has a legitimate explanation. Again, if want to just go with what the others say, that's fine. If you want me to elaborate, just ask.

Oh please do, I always enjoy a good acrobatics show. Smile

lol, it's actually not that flippy. Maybe bendy a little... but not a lot of flips.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-07-2013, 12:46 PM
(10-07-2013 12:43 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-07-2013 12:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Oh please do, I always enjoy a good acrobatics show. Smile

lol, it's actually not that flippy. Maybe bendy a little... but not a lot of flips.

More like Cirque de SoleilDrinking Beverage

Love ya KC!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
10-07-2013, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 01:22 PM by Bucky Ball.)

Well, they have "rationalizations". Whether they're "legitimate" or not, is a matter of opinion. But the historical fact that the members of the Way cult were actually self-identified as Jews, (thus completely subject to the "law") is not in dispute. It they were not, then the High Priest in the 90's CE would not have found it necessary to promulgate and demand that the "Expulsion Curses" be read in all the synagogues. (see the Curse on the Minim : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Jamnia )

From "A House Divided", (Harvard PhD Vincent Martin's examination of the process of separation of Judaism from early Christianity) :

-- (1) The Yavneh Academy's added to the liturgical Eighteen Blessings a curse against the MINIM (heretics), widely considered today to have "the Nazarenes," (Jewish Christians) as its core (but not exclusive) target. The Academy then communicated its decision very widely to the scattered synagogues of the Diaspora. Jews who accepted this view could no longer experience "any remaining feeling of spiritual kinship" with Nazarenes. "Henceforth it was to be 'we' versus 'they'" (Ch XI, 155). Official rabbinic Judiaism said a definitive "no" to Christianity, (not the other way around).

-- (2) John's (Fourth) Gospel is hypothetically explained by Vincent Martin as a conscious response by John to the Yavneh Academy's expulsion of Christians from Jewish synagogues. John rather ferociously condemns (without naming it) the Yavneh school for its rejection of Jesus as the Messiah, God's true renewer of the true Israel. John of Ephesus says a definitive "no" to contemporary Judaism. As John's gospel became increasingly canonical through the second century, official Christianity gradually said "no" to official Judaism.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Let the Cirque de Bullshit begin! Rolleyes
10-07-2013, 01:05 PM
You're not using the right debating tools. Here's what I recommend:

[Image: chippersasdf2.jpg]

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-07-2013, 01:28 PM
(10-07-2013 10:32 AM)ArtMinx Wrote:  Hello,
I was thankfully raised by heathens and have little bible knowledge. I am reading now, and it's pure MISERY. I feel so far behind everyone here. So you'd think I would know better than to engage in "conversations" with fucktards. Nope! Can't help it - misogyny and homophobia make me furious.

When they tell me "Oh that's the old testament - those laws were abolished." I cite things like, "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." Luke 16:17. But they all seem to say I'm taking it out of context at some point. Is this a valid argument? How do you handle this one? In large part, the thing is disjointed snippets that don't seem to be a complete story.

THANKS!!!

That's just their way of saying that what you say is invalid. It's really frustrating when I quote something in the bible and the person says "It doesn't say that" or "there are many versions of the bible."

It's just the kind of backwards logic that most christians use on a day to day basis.

But, if someone tries to discredit a quote from the old testament just say "did god not write the old testament?" If their answer is yes then god is indeed fallible like they say he isn't.

So, just tell them that since god made a mistake with the first one, that means their god is fallible, which goes against everything said in the bible.

They probably won't listen to that either though.
[+] 3 users Like UndercoverAtheist's post
10-07-2013, 01:28 PM
I was taught years ago, jebus provided a new covenant which said people didn't have to follow the old law (like celebrating the Shabbat, jewish feasts, wearing clothing made from two different fabrics, eating pig or shellfish et al). I believe all that stuff really came from Paul...

Personally I think people were tired of following all the rules....just my opinion tho.

If I'm wrong I'd love someone to correct me -- because I never quite understood. I knew Christian types who also followed Jewish law (kept kosher) and feasts -- the jebus types always looked down on them.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-07-2013, 01:41 PM
(10-07-2013 01:05 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You're not using the right debating tools. Here's what I recommend:

[Image: chippersasdf2.jpg]

"And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper." Tongue
10-07-2013, 01:45 PM
(10-07-2013 10:32 AM)ArtMinx Wrote:  Hello,
I was thankfully raised by heathens and have little bible knowledge. I am reading now, and it's pure MISERY. I feel so far behind everyone here. So you'd think I would know better than to engage in "conversations" with fucktards. Nope! Can't help it - misogyny and homophobia make me furious.

When they tell me "Oh that's the old testament - those laws were abolished." I cite things like, "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." Luke 16:17. But they all seem to say I'm taking it out of context at some point. Is this a valid argument? How do you handle this one? In large part, the thing is disjointed snippets that don't seem to be a complete story.

THANKS!!!
Ah, you have discovered one of those subjects that can be argued for years. Yes, before you jump in, you should know something about the bible or you will most probably lose every discussion. We can't help you either, without much study and .....time. You have to decide if you really enjoy it( I suspect ) or if it is misery as you stated then throw the damn thing in the garbage and play tennis, go fishing, or something enjoyable. First thing I would do if you, is find out why it is the most popular book(s) ever printed.
[+] 2 users Like Buddy's post