Help with "you're taking that one passage out of context"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2013, 01:54 PM
RE: Help with "you're taking that one passage out of context"
(10-07-2013 01:45 PM)Buddy Wrote:  throw the damn thing in the garbage and play tennis

Yuppers

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-07-2013, 01:55 PM
When you get to the part in Deuteronomy where a virgin who is raped is sentenced to marry her rapist and cannot be divorced from him for as long as she lives, ask them how this is a law that is the product of a perfect and "loving" god. (Actually, it's the rapist who is required to marry his victim and not allowed to divorce her for as long as she lives, and pay her father 50 pieces of silver - because she's just property dontcha know - but it sounds to me that it's more of a punishment for the victim, not the rapist.)

Deuteronomy 22:28-29: If a man find a damsel [that is] a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty [shekels] of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

That's misogyny on a level that I cannot even fathom.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 3 users Like Scully's post
10-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Lol they take the whole book out of context ;P

BTW, you look just like someone I know...Laurie?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2013, 02:01 PM
I think the easiest way to handle the "you're taking that verse out of context" objection is by inviting them to place the verse in context. They want to play that game? Play it! Show me how and why it is morally acceptable to any decent human being that a man should be executed for picking up sticks on a Friday night.
[+] 2 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
10-07-2013, 02:30 PM
(10-07-2013 02:01 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  I think the easiest way to handle the "you're taking that verse out of context" objection is by inviting them to place the verse in context. They want to play that game? Play it! Show me how and why it is morally acceptable to any decent human being that a man should be executed for picking up sticks on a Friday night.

Thanks - yes, I should have just told them to put it into context for me so I can see the error of my ways. Duh, why didn't I think of that. Guessing their next response would have INSTEAD been "Why do you hate Christians so much anyway?" Because suck it, that's why.Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes ArtMinx's post
10-07-2013, 02:46 PM
(10-07-2013 01:55 PM)Scully Wrote:  Deuteronomy 22:28-29: If a man find a damsel [that is] a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty [shekels] of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

That's misogyny on a level that I cannot even fathom.

Agreed... I was corrected on this passage also - something to the effect that in those days women were property and semen receptacles valued by their dowries. That being married to her rapist was actually saving her from death by starvation/poverty. So I asked... and you base your entire life around a book with morality from "those days"?. He said no, he bases his life around the word of god. YYYuuuup. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes ArtMinx's post
10-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Here's a response for the "Out of context" crowd:

There is no context where it is acceptable for a god to punish future generations for original sin, flood the planet, demand human sacrifice, torment people in bets with the devil, murder firstborn children, sacrifice himself in order to finally be able to forgive us, then leave a vague, contradictory collection of writings for future believers to squabble over for the next 2000 years.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 7 users Like guitar_nut's post
10-07-2013, 03:20 PM
The argument that requiring a woman to marry her rapist was more humane than the alternative dodges the obvious question of why God would not order His followers to honor this rape victim the same way they would honor a virgin in the flipping first place. They make God out to be this helpless being who subjects His law to the hardness of the hearts of the ancient Hebrews, yet this is the same God who thinks nothing of assigning the death penalty to people who are guilty of the pettiest offenses! Is He God or not? If He's God enough to tell you he'll kill you for picking up sticks on a Friday night, He should be God enough to tell you to treat a rape victim as a VICTIM and not a piece of damaged property!
[+] 2 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
10-07-2013, 03:26 PM
A little off topic, (but in the "semen receptacle" context) .. it's fascinating to remember that there was not a clue in those days about either meiosis or mitosis, chromosomes, cell replication or anything even remotely close to the facts known by Biology today. The entire "little person" (baby) was thought to reside (or contributed 100 % completely), in the "seed" of the male. The woman contributed no "genetic material"... nothing. (You would think they would have noted resemblances to some of their mother's ??) It would be thousands of years before they would figure that one out. Just more proof that the Babble actually contributed nothing, NOT ONE THING, that was not already present in the knowledge base of it's culture, and 100 % of human origin.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-07-2013, 03:29 PM
(10-07-2013 03:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  A little off topic, (but in the "semen receptacle" context) .. it's fascinating to remember that there was not a clue in those days about either meiosis or mitosis, chromosomes, cell replication or anything even remotely close to the facts known by Biology today. The entire "little person" (baby) was thought to reside (or contributed 100 % completely), in the "seed" of the male. The woman contributed no "genetic material"... nothing. (You would think they would have noted resemblances to some of their mother's ??) It would be thousands of years before they would figure that one out. Just more proof that the Babble actually contributed nothing, NOT ONE THING, that was not already present in the knowledge base of it's culture, and 100 % of human origin.

Does the bible assert that the baby is the seed of the father and has no bearing on the mother? I am no expert but hadn't had that pointed out to me.