Help with "you're taking that one passage out of context"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2013, 11:40 PM
RE: Help with "you're taking that one passage out of context"
(10-07-2013 02:30 PM)ArtMinx Wrote:  
(10-07-2013 02:01 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  I think the easiest way to handle the "you're taking that verse out of context" objection is by inviting them to place the verse in context. They want to play that game? Play it! Show me how and why it is morally acceptable to any decent human being that a man should be executed for picking up sticks on a Friday night.

Thanks - yes, I should have just told them to put it into context for me so I can see the error of my ways. Duh, why didn't I think of that. Guessing their next response would have INSTEAD been "Why do you hate Christians so much anyway?" Because suck it, that's why.Tongue

I love Christians. I love them so much that I spend my precious time trying to save them from this delusion that there's an afterlife, a delusion that causes them to waste the one life they do have.

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
11-07-2013, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 10:19 PM by childeye.)
(10-07-2013 10:32 AM)ArtMinx Wrote:  Hello,
I was thankfully raised by heathens and have little bible knowledge. I am reading now, and it's pure MISERY. I feel so far behind everyone here. So you'd think I would know better than to engage in "conversations" with fucktards. Nope! Can't help it - misogyny and homophobia make me furious.

When they tell me "Oh that's the old testament - those laws were abolished." I cite things like, "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." Luke 16:17. But they all seem to say I'm taking it out of context at some point. Is this a valid argument? How do you handle this one? In large part, the thing is disjointed snippets that don't seem to be a complete story.

THANKS!!!
It is shown in the writings labeled as the New Testament which is also foretold of in the Old Testament, that the law was meant to convict all men of some measure of unrighteousness compared to perfection as a means of silencing the hypocritical condemnation of one another and defeat the powers of hell and death. The point you make citing it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid was an excellent point to make and quite astute. The thing is, the letter of the law also carries a provision that would wipe out all trespasses and defeat the hypocritical tempter and accuser of mankind, who had the power of death through the law, releasing one from the penalty of death upon a propitiation or atonement. Hence the law was abolished by the law its' self and death defeated when a voluntary sacrifice was made by a sinless man. The same man that fulfilled the law in every way possible. This also was foretold in the Old Testament. Next question?
11-07-2013, 10:15 PM
(11-07-2013 10:11 PM)childeye Wrote:  
I was thankfully raised by heathens and have little bible knowledge. I am reading now, and it's pure MISERY. I feel so far behind everyone here. So you'd think I would know better than to engage in "conversations" with fucktards. Nope! Can't help it - misogyny and homophobia make me furious.

When they tell me "Oh that's the old testament - those laws were abolished." I cite things like, "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." Luke 16:17. But they all seem to say I'm taking it out of context at some point. Is this a valid argument? How do you handle this one? In large part, the thing is disjointed snippets that don't seem to be a complete story.

THANKS!!!
It is shown in the writings labeled as the New Testament which is also foretold of in the Old Testament, that the law was meant to convict all men of some measure of unrighteousness compared to perfection as a means of silencing the hypocritical condemnation of one another and defeat the powers of hell and death. The point you make citing it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid was an excellent point to make and quite astute. The thing is, the letter of the law also carries a provision that would wipe out all trespasses and defeat the hypocritical tempter and accuser of mankind releasing one from the penalty of death upon a propitiation or atonement. Hence the law was abolished by the law its' self when a voluntary sacrifice was made by a sinless man. This also was foretold in the Old Testament. Next question?

Bet you can't find anything even remotely saying what you just claimed in the bible. Remember no out of context quotes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
11-07-2013, 10:31 PM
(10-07-2013 03:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  A little off topic, (but in the "semen receptacle" context) .. it's fascinating to remember that there was not a clue in those days about either meiosis or mitosis, chromosomes, cell replication or anything even remotely close to the facts known by Biology today. The entire "little person" (baby) was thought to reside (or contributed 100 % completely), in the "seed" of the male. The woman contributed no "genetic material"... nothing. (You would think they would have noted resemblances to some of their mother's ??) It would be thousands of years before they would figure that one out. Just more proof that the Babble actually contributed nothing, NOT ONE THING, that was not already present in the knowledge base of it's culture, and 100 % of human origin.
Not entirely true. The story of Jacob breeding only the unblemished sheep both male and female together produced unblemished sheep is clearly understood that what the female brought forth also attributed to the offspring. There are also more deeper implications for those who understand spiritual things.
11-07-2013, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 10:57 PM by childeye.)
(11-07-2013 10:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 10:11 PM)childeye Wrote:  It is shown in the writings labeled as the New Testament which is also foretold of in the Old Testament, that the law was meant to convict all men of some measure of unrighteousness compared to perfection as a means of silencing the hypocritical condemnation of one another and defeat the powers of hell and death. The point you make citing it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid was an excellent point to make and quite astute. The thing is, the letter of the law also carries a provision that would wipe out all trespasses and defeat the hypocritical tempter and accuser of mankind releasing one from the penalty of death upon a propitiation or atonement. Hence the law was abolished by the law its' self when a voluntary sacrifice was made by a sinless man. This also was foretold in the Old Testament. Next question?

Bet you can't find anything even remotely saying what you just claimed in the bible. Remember no out of context quotes.
In context all of scripture is essentially about what I just said.
John 5:39

King James Version (KJV)
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me

Romans 2:1
2 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

Romans 3:19

King James Version (KJV)
19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Hebrews 2:14

King James Version (KJV)
14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Colossians 2:13-16

King James Version (KJV)

13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it
12-07-2013, 04:04 AM
(11-07-2013 10:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 10:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Bet you can't find anything even remotely saying what you just claimed in the bible. Remember no out of context quotes.
In context all of scripture is essentially about what I just said.

King James Version (KJV)
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me

2 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

King James Version (KJV)
19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

King James Version (KJV)
14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

King James Version (KJV)

13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it

Ah single sentences taken from multiple Books, all out of context exactly what I thought. Thank you and good night.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-07-2013, 09:24 AM
(11-07-2013 10:11 PM)childeye Wrote:  

THANKS!!!
It is shown in the writings labeled as the New Testament which is also foretold of in the Old Testament, that the law was meant to convict all men of some measure of unrighteousness compared to perfection as a means of silencing the hypocritical condemnation of one another and defeat the powers of hell and death. The point you make citing it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid was an excellent point to make and quite astute. The thing is, the letter of the law also carries a provision that would wipe out all trespasses and defeat the hypocritical tempter and accuser of mankind, who had the power of death through the law, releasing one from the penalty of death upon a propitiation or atonement. Hence the law was abolished by the law its' self and death defeated when a voluntary sacrifice was made by a sinless man. The same man that fulfilled the law in every way possible. This also was foretold in the Old Testament. Next question?

I'll bite - next question: To me, taking things out of context means calling attention to a snippet that requires the surrounding text for it to make sense. Are you saying that all these other items you listed in post 45 must be understood in their context in order to understand this provision of atonement you're claiming?
12-07-2013, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2013 05:34 PM by childeye.)
(12-07-2013 09:24 AM)ArtMinx Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 10:11 PM)childeye Wrote:  It is shown in the writings labeled as the New Testament which is also foretold of in the Old Testament, that the law was meant to convict all men of some measure of unrighteousness compared to perfection as a means of silencing the hypocritical condemnation of one another and defeat the powers of hell and death. The point you make citing it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid was an excellent point to make and quite astute. The thing is, the letter of the law also carries a provision that would wipe out all trespasses and defeat the hypocritical tempter and accuser of mankind, who had the power of death through the law, releasing one from the penalty of death upon a propitiation or atonement. Hence the law was abolished by the law its' self and death defeated when a voluntary sacrifice was made by a sinless man. The same man that fulfilled the law in every way possible. This also was foretold in the Old Testament. Next question?

I'll bite - next question: To me, taking things out of context means calling attention to a snippet that requires the surrounding text for it to make sense. Are you saying that all these other items you listed in post 45 must be understood in their context in order to understand this provision of atonement you're claiming?
Your point about what context means is quite agreeable to me if I am perceiving you correctly. I would describe taking something out of context as taking a snippet said somewhere and applying it to something or some place in a way it's author never meant for it to be applied. My reply to Revenant 77 was in response to his challenge to produce a scripture not taken out of context that "remotely" backed up what I had said to you. However my answer to you which he was challenging the veracity of, was an attempt at all of scripture in a nutshell. And since he had brought up the qualifier as a scripture not taken out of context that would back up what I had said to you, I felt it prudent to point out that the entire bible, described as both the Old and New Testaments, is in some manner speaking about the fall of mankind, sin, the letter of the law and the Spirit of the law and ultimately the Christ and the doing away of sin. As pointed out by the Christ, all of scripture is about him.

Your question above is somewhat loaded with implications that a simple yes or no answer could either way be easily misconstrued or misunderstood. The best response would probably be yes. The problem is that a picture puzzle is comprised of many smaller pieces of picture which are actual pictures themselves. One piece of a puzzle may carry no resemblance to another and legitimately be declared out of context with the other according to that rule of measure. But in the big picture, it is in fact completely in context. Semantics.
12-07-2013, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2013 05:29 PM by childeye.)
(12-07-2013 04:04 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 10:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  In context all of scripture is essentially about what I just said.

King James Version (KJV)

King James Version (KJV)

King James Version (KJV)

King James Version (KJV)

Ah single sentences taken from multiple Books, all out of context exactly what I thought. Thank you and good night.
According to those standards, anything I presented would be taken out of context. I suspected you'd do that, which is why I led with the whole bible is the context of what I said. You are so predictable but fun to play with.
16-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Despite the snippets we hear in a church or the media, the Bible tends to teach in passages, not verses. When I tell a Christian or an Atheist "out of context", I am most often referring to a fragment or partial idea that is understood in the context of a nearby passage or indeed from a second biblical author...