Helpful Food Info

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Helpful Food Info
Lets make a thread with helpful food information. Not just for dieting but for people who have health issues or food issues, allergies, diabetes, salt, lactose intolerance and such.

There are lots of helpful tips that you just find out with experience, so share it here if you have some. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
18-06-2016, 01:21 PM
RE: Helpful Food Info
I like to know what I eat. I'm a label checker and though I obvious don't always make a smart choice I ALWAYS make an informed choice.

Recently I discovered I have become lactose intolerant. Originally I thought I was plagued with IBS, it wasn't, which was a relief. It happens a lot to people in late middle age it seems and is not always forever but I love milk and I didn't want to give it up.

Lactaid and Dairy Pure are two of the alternatives that are milk that has been treated with lactase to pre-break down the lactose. The only difference is that it tastes a little sweeter because the complex sugars are already broke down and therefore the taste bud receptors recognize more of the sweetness.

Also, treated milk come in Whole, 2%, 1% and Fat Free. Some dairy products such as yogurt are already lactose free because of the process to make them.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders...e-symptoms

I found this at my local dairy market today, it is great!

Chocolate Chip Mint Frozen Yogurt
[Image: akhLzWh.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
18-06-2016, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2016 01:28 PM by Heatheness.)
I've also found that labels are deceptive. WHile watching my carbs I bought a "carb smart" bread. I checked it today against the regular bread I buy and damn... it was not as carb smart as I thought.

My original buttermilk bread has 14g carbs/2g sugar.
The Carb Smart brand was 19g carbs/0g sugar. Plus the slices were half the width of normal slices.

I should've compared the labels first. Sad

18-06-2016, 01:40 PM
I can eat everything except tuna and mackerel. While tuna just doesn't sit well with my stomach, mackerel if not fresh makes me violently ill very soon after consuming , with all the classic symptoms of food poisoning, but they go away as soon a I throw up.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
18-06-2016, 01:50 PM
(18-06-2016 01:40 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I can eat everything except tuna and mackerel. While tuna just doesn't sit well with my stomach, mackerel if not fresh makes me violently ill very soon after consuming , with all the classic symptoms of food poisoning, but they go away as soon a I throw up.

I hear that!

I used to be able to eat tuna but about 25yrs ago it started making my stomach hurt when I ate it and gave me raging indigestion. I tried the packed in water kind thinking it might be the oil but still bothered me. Mackerel has also bothered me. I switched to salmon and use it in any of my tuna recipes (tuna salad/tuna melt sandwiches/casseroles) and no problem.

Have you tried salmon instead?

18-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Great idea. I have been able to get by purely on instinct until fairly recently. Not anymore after a painful episode of gout. Now I need to vet what goes into my body.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
18-06-2016, 02:01 PM
(18-06-2016 01:50 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 01:40 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I can eat everything except tuna and mackerel. While tuna just doesn't sit well with my stomach, mackerel if not fresh makes me violently ill very soon after consuming , with all the classic symptoms of food poisoning, but they go away as soon a I throw up.

I hear that!

I used to be able to eat tuna but about 25yrs ago it started making my stomach hurt when I ate it and gave me raging indigestion. I tried the packed in water kind thinking it might be the oil but still bothered me. Mackerel has also bothered me. I switched to salmon and use it in any of my tuna recipes (tuna salad/tuna melt sandwiches/casseroles) and no problem.

Had no problems with salmon , or any other fish and I ate all kinds.

I've read that mackerel when frozen starts some kind of chemical process in its muscles and starts to produce histamine ( I think ) and this is what makes people sick.
I've heard of cases when people ended up in the hospital from mackerel poisoning.

Not eating it again.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
18-06-2016, 02:05 PM
(18-06-2016 02:01 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 01:50 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I hear that!

Had no problems with salmon , or any other fish and I ate all kinds.

I've read that mackerel when frozen starts some kind of chemical process in its muscles and starts to produce histamine ( I think ) and this is what makes people sick.
I've heard of cases when people ended up in the hospital from mackerel poisoning.

Not eating it again.

Wow, that would suck. Mackerel was too strongly flavored for me, never cared for it so I didn't mind not being able to eat it but I do miss tuna a bit. Still, I love salmon, even canned, so I found a work-around.

18-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Real food doesn't come with labels. Have you ever pulled a carrot from the ground and found a label attached, or an apple from a tree or a tomato or potato or even a side of beef. The labels are put onto food that has been defoodized in one manner or another. One hears so much about white rice being bad for people. I hired a kid fresh from Nicaragua, he was 25 years old and Ernesto had worked in nothing in his life so far except planting and harvesting rice, so i asked him what color rice is when it grows. He assumed it was a trick question. He'd never seen good rice any color except white, it is yellowish it is not good to eat and is thrown away. So if you are checking labels you are not looking at real food. I buy most of my food from a truck that drives thru the neighborhood selling everything from papayas and melons to potatoes and yuca, and bananas and plaintains. The guy doesn't have one labeled product for sale, just real food. I used to buy 'half a beef' when I lived in the USA. Never saw a single label on it. If you need cornflakes and cookies and other artificial foods plenty of labels for the label lookers. DId you know you can find bottled water with a label including an expiration date. How does water expire?
18-06-2016, 02:14 PM
(18-06-2016 02:05 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 02:01 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Had no problems with salmon , or any other fish and I ate all kinds.

Not eating it again.

Wow, that would suck. Mackerel was too strongly flavored for me, never cared for it so I didn't mind not being able to eat it but I do miss tuna a bit. Still, I love salmon, even canned, so I found a work-around.

Have you tried swordfish ?