Helpful Food Info

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2016, 02:18 PM
RE: Helpful Food Info
I used to eat anything. Now I try to stay away from processed foods and refined sugar.

Refined sugar is difficult to avoid - it is in most anything prepared you buy. Bread, ketchup, everything, one has to read labels.

Once you have successfully avoided refined sugar for a while, you don't like it anymore. And you can taste it instantly, no matter how hidden it is among other flavors.

I feel a lot better without sugar, my energy holds evenly through the day. With sugar in the diet, it's more of an up and down.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
18-06-2016, 02:20 PM
(18-06-2016 02:14 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 02:05 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Wow, that would suck. Mackerel was too strongly flavored for me, never cared for it so I didn't mind not being able to eat it but I do miss tuna a bit. Still, I love salmon, even canned, so I found a work-around.

Have you tried swordfish ?

No, unless it's called something else in a restaurant. Is it good? How do you prepare it?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
18-06-2016, 02:31 PM
(18-06-2016 02:20 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 02:14 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Have you tried swordfish ?

No, unless it's called something else in a restaurant. Is it good? How do you prepare it?

It's called swordfish in restaurants in Europe, not sure about your side of the pond , It is served usually as a steak, grilled. It's great , kind of like salmon but better if you ask me. That's why I mentioned it, I think if you like salmon , you would love swordfish.

I never prepare it at home because it's almost impossible to find it fresh here and I don't have a grill but I eat it always when I'm close to the sea.

[Image: 20gmqz4.jpg]

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
18-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Only two kinds of fish I don't like - butterfish and catfish. My favorite by far is Salmon, but I enjoy most fish.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-06-2016, 02:45 PM
(18-06-2016 02:31 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 02:20 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  No, unless it's called something else in a restaurant. Is it good? How do you prepare it?

It's called swordfish in restaurants in Europe, not sure about your side of the pond , It is served usually as a steak, grilled. It's great , kind of like salmon but better if you ask me. That's why I mentioned it, I think if you like salmon , you would love swordfish.

I never prepare it at home because it's almost impossible to find it fresh here and I don't have a grill but I eat it always when I'm close to the sea.

Thanks! I'll try it.

I called our fish market in Tulsa and they carry them for $14.95 a pound. Which is pricey for me but I can certainly do that occasionally. I'll let you know how it turns out. Probably next week before I go into town.

Recipe I found, lemon, garlic, olive oil, basil and salt & pepper. Grill 5 minutes on one side 2-3 on the other. Smile

[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
18-06-2016, 02:49 PM
(18-06-2016 02:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  Only two kinds of fish I don't like - butterfish and catfish. My favorite by far is Salmon, but I enjoy most fish.

Yeah, I don't like catfish or carp or any kind of greasy fish either. When I want greasy I have pork.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
18-06-2016, 02:50 PM
(18-06-2016 02:00 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Great idea. I have been able to get by purely on instinct until fairly recently. Not anymore after a painful episode of gout. Now I need to vet what goes into my body.

Yes, no more organ meats or deli process meats, I guess. I do like fried calves liver and onions but I rarely cook it. I also like chicken livers but rarely ever have them either.

Gout is some serious stuff.

18-06-2016, 02:52 PM
(18-06-2016 02:08 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Real food doesn't come with labels. Have you ever pulled a carrot from the ground and found a label attached, or an apple from a tree or a tomato or potato or even a side of beef. The labels are put onto food that has been defoodized in one manner or another. One hears so much about white rice being bad for people. I hired a kid fresh from Nicaragua, he was 25 years old and Ernesto had worked in nothing in his life so far except planting and harvesting rice, so i asked him what color rice is when it grows. He assumed it was a trick question. He'd never seen good rice any color except white, it is yellowish it is not good to eat and is thrown away. So if you are checking labels you are not looking at real food. I buy most of my food from a truck that drives thru the neighborhood selling everything from papayas and melons to potatoes and yuca, and bananas and plaintains. The guy doesn't have one labeled product for sale, just real food. I used to buy 'half a beef' when I lived in the USA. Never saw a single label on it. If you need cornflakes and cookies and other artificial foods plenty of labels for the label lookers. DId you know you can find bottled water with a label including an expiration date. How does water expire?

Fresh is best. It's good you have a source for just what you want.

18-06-2016, 02:56 PM
(18-06-2016 02:45 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 02:31 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  It's called swordfish in restaurants in Europe, not sure about your side of the pond , It is served usually as a steak, grilled. It's great , kind of like salmon but better if you ask me. That's why I mentioned it, I think if you like salmon , you would love swordfish.

Thanks! I'll try it.

I called our fish market in Tulsa and they carry them for $14.95 a pound. Which is pricey for me but I can certainly do that occasionally. I'll let you know how it turns out. Probably next week before I go into town.

Recipe I found, lemon, garlic, olive oil, basil and salt & pepper. Grill 5 minutes on one side 2-3 on the other. Smile

14.95 a pound in a market ? That's expensive. In Greece or Spain 10-15$ is a portion in restaurant.
Yes, preparing it is quite simple, and please do let me know how you liked it.

[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
18-06-2016, 03:09 PM
That's why I planted fruit trees as soon as we moved here, and put in a raised bed veggie garden. We also used to raise some pigs and swap with neighbors for beef.

We also had chickens and ate eggs, but never ate any chickens, they were too sweet. Unfortunately the big raccoon didn't feel the same way about them, or maybe he did and that's why he ate them. Tongue

There are cat fish in the pond, but we didn't like to eat them and I still don't. But if push comes to shove I could.

I'm too lazy to make my own mayo or ketchup or soy sauce or whatever. They come with labels.

When I buy fish, or really anything at all, I want to know where it came from.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post