Helpful Food Info

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2016, 03:19 PM
RE: Helpful Food Info
(18-06-2016 03:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  That's why I planted fruit trees as soon as we moved here, and put in a raised bed veggie garden. We also used to raise some pigs and swap with neighbors for beef.

We also had chickens and ate eggs, but never ate any chickens, they were too sweet. Unfortunately the big raccoon didn't feel the same way about them, or maybe he did and that's why he ate them. Tongue

There are cat fish in the pond, but we didn't like to eat them and I still don't. But if push comes to shove I could.

I'm too lazy to make my own mayo or ketchup or soy sauce or whatever. They come with labels.

When I buy fish, or really anything at all, I want to know where it came from.

I like catfish, if it's cleaned properly and cooked properly. Most people overcook fish until it's tough. My favorite fish is crappie, then salmon, blue gill, catfish, cod.

I've never made my own ketchup but have made homemade mayo lots of times in the blender but then I'm not afraid of raw eggs. Years ago in high school home-ecc I made cooked mayo but I don't have the recipe anymore.

There's a farmer's market in the parking lot of the courthouse on Saturdays and a fresh produce farm just up the road from me. I do that most weeks. Though I do have to be careful of how much raw veggies I consume. It bothers my intestinal tract.

I do love growing my own stuff but most of my yard here is in deep shade.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2016, 04:02 PM
(18-06-2016 03:19 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 03:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  That's why I planted fruit trees as soon as we moved here, and put in a raised bed veggie garden. We also used to raise some pigs and swap with neighbors for beef.

We also had chickens and ate eggs, but never ate any chickens, they were too sweet. Unfortunately the big raccoon didn't feel the same way about them, or maybe he did and that's why he ate them. Tongue

There are cat fish in the pond, but we didn't like to eat them and I still don't. But if push comes to shove I could.

I'm too lazy to make my own mayo or ketchup or soy sauce or whatever. They come with labels.

When I buy fish, or really anything at all, I want to know where it came from.

I like catfish, if it's cleaned properly and cooked properly. Most people overcook fish until it's tough. My favorite fish is crappie, then salmon, blue gill, catfish, cod.

I've never made my own ketchup but have made homemade mayo lots of times in the blender but then I'm not afraid of raw eggs. Years ago in high school home-ecc I made cooked mayo but I don't have the recipe anymore.

There's a farmer's market in the parking lot of the courthouse on Saturdays and a fresh produce farm just up the road from me. I do that most weeks. Though I do have to be careful of how much raw veggies I consume. It bothers my intestinal tract.

I do love growing my own stuff but most of my yard here is in deep shade.

You can grow all kinds of greens....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-06-2016, 04:16 PM
I go for healthier stuff a lot of the time and try to get fresh whenever it's available. I also look out for environmentally friendly options. I avoid plastics where I can and try to get meats that are on the sustainable side. Since you all are talking about fish, check out seafoodwatch.org to see how your choice stacks up.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
18-06-2016, 04:21 PM
I cook fresh as much as possible, it seems to be about 90% of my diet nowadays. I feel better for it.

The only prepackaged foods in my house are pastas, rice, and my emergency kit.
18-06-2016, 04:31 PM
I realize we all have our pet projects and ethical views, that's fine but for this thread I was hoping for something different than diet ideas and simple healthy eating. To be honest healthy diets and vegan agendas are a dime a dozen these days and I'm glad they have that but I was hoping for something else here. I just wanted to address issues, illnesses and restrictions that people have with food.

I'm not trying to stifle anyone's enthusiasm but I would like to see "helpful" ideas or tips that help people on specific food issues. Maybe I didn't title it correctly or failed to explain my purpose in this thread but that was my goal.

Thanks for the posts.

18-06-2016, 04:38 PM
(18-06-2016 02:50 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 02:00 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Great idea. I have been able to get by purely on instinct until fairly recently. Not anymore after a painful episode of gout. Now I need to vet what goes into my body.

Yes, no more organ meats or deli process meats, I guess. I do like fried calves liver and onions but I rarely cook it. I also like chicken livers but rarely ever have them either.

Gout is some serious stuff.
I am virtually vegetarian. Not by choice. If you look at the things you can't eat, it runs the whole gamut. You can eat grass and water though. I am still learning how to select things I can eat.

Anything to avoid a flare up. I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
18-06-2016, 05:04 PM
I don't have any food allergies, but I did go gluten-free for a bit. I did have more energy substituting out wheat products for other things. Lately, I've been trying to eat less crap. I do still like my french fries, dark chocolate with almonds, tortilla chips w. guacamole, and fried veggie samosas and let myself have them on occasion.
18-06-2016, 05:58 PM
(18-06-2016 04:38 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 02:50 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yes, no more organ meats or deli process meats, I guess. I do like fried calves liver and onions but I rarely cook it. I also like chicken livers but rarely ever have them either.

I am virtually vegetarian. Not by choice. If you look at the things you can't eat, it runs the whole gamut. You can eat grass and water though. I am still learning how to select things I can eat.

Lime juice is supposed to help. I had several flare ups in winter a couple of years ago, (damn that hurts bad!) and haven't had any since. I do put some lime in my water (no, not in the coconut) ever since. The doc says my blood looks good, no traces there anymore. Not saying the lime did it, but it may have been helpful.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-06-2016, 06:05 PM
(18-06-2016 04:38 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 02:50 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yes, no more organ meats or deli process meats, I guess. I do like fried calves liver and onions but I rarely cook it. I also like chicken livers but rarely ever have them either.

I found this on WEBMD, which is a very good site for advice.

Non-medication Pain Relief

In addition to medication, these self-care tips may help your gout flare-up pain:
• Use cold. If the pain isn't too bad, try cold packs or cold compresses on the joint to lessen the inflammation and help the pain. Ice the joint for 20 to 30 minutes several times a day.
• Rest the joint. It's a good idea to rest until the pain lessens. Most people having an acute attack of gouty arthritis probably won't want to move the joint much anyway. Raise the joint if you can on a pillow or other soft object.
• Drink water. A lack of water in your body can make your uric acid levels rise even higher than they already are. Drinking water will help your body stabilize uric acid to a normal level.
• Watch what you eat and drink. Foods that are high in purines (some seafood, organ meats like liver, and fatty foods) can increase the uric acid in your blood even more. So can fructose-sweetened drinks and alcohol -- especially beer.

Here's the link to the whole article.

http://www.webmd.com/arthritis/gout-attacks-at-home

I don't know anything about it personally but I do know from what a friend who has it, he says it's excruciatingly painful.

18-06-2016, 06:13 PM
If you are lactose intolerant--soy, coconut, almond, hemp, and cashew milk (ice cream, "cheese" etc.) items are also available. I really like anything by Daiya. Their mozzarella shreds are great on a pizza.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post