Helpful Food Info

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2016, 06:41 PM
RE: Helpful Food Info
(18-06-2016 05:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 04:38 PM)tomilay Wrote:  I am virtually vegetarian. Not by choice. If you look at the things you can't eat, it runs the whole gamut. You can eat grass and water though. I am still learning how to select things I can eat.

Anything to avoid a flare up. I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy.

Lime juice is supposed to help. I had several flare ups in winter a couple of years ago, (damn that hurts bad!) and haven't had any since. I do put some lime in my water (no, not in the coconut) ever since. The doc says my blood looks good, no traces there anymore. Not saying the lime did it, but it may have been helpful.

I have been on cherry juice. Apple Cider Vinegar. Boiled cabbage. Mung beans. Going all spartan.

Cutting back on carbs and meat in general. Until I find the time to peruse labels and take measure of what I am eating.

I have lost weight. A good thing. I am back to running. But eating is a chore. I used to enjoy rich foods.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2016, 07:07 PM
(18-06-2016 06:41 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 05:58 PM)Dom Wrote:  Lime juice is supposed to help. I had several flare ups in winter a couple of years ago, (damn that hurts bad!) and haven't had any since. I do put some lime in my water (no, not in the coconut) ever since. The doc says my blood looks good, no traces there anymore. Not saying the lime did it, but it may have been helpful.

I have been on cherry juice. Apple Cider Vinegar. Boiled cabbage. Mung beans. Going all spartan.

Cutting back on carbs and meat in general. Until I find the time to peruse labels and take measure of what I am eating.

I have lost weight. A good thing. I am back to running. But eating is a chore. I used to enjoy rich foods.

Other than adding lime to my diet, I just cut out all organ meat and drink very little beer anymore. If you cut both carbs and meat, there is nothing left?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-06-2016, 07:23 PM
(18-06-2016 07:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 06:41 PM)tomilay Wrote:  I have been on cherry juice. Apple Cider Vinegar. Boiled cabbage. Mung beans. Going all spartan.

Other than adding lime to my diet, I just cut out all organ meat and drink very little beer anymore. If you cut both carbs and meat, there is nothing left?
I was heavy on carbs and meat to begin with. So cutting back, may not be a bad idea. I have been having meat on some random days. I am thinking to make those specific days. I will definitely add lime seeing it can only be a good thing.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
18-06-2016, 07:32 PM
(18-06-2016 07:23 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(18-06-2016 07:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  Other than adding lime to my diet, I just cut out all organ meat and drink very little beer anymore. If you cut both carbs and meat, there is nothing left?
I was heavy on carbs and meat to begin with. So cutting back, may not be a bad idea. I have been having meat on some random days. I am thinking to make those specific days. I will definitely add lime seeing it can only be a good thing.

You are supposed to eat carbs when you have gout.

http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Gou...ult.asp#do

The whole article is good by the way. This is a decent medical site.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Ive recently had a health scare, thought I was having a heart attack and had to go to accident and emergency. Everything turned out fine (ECG normal, blood tests all come back good, chest xray clear, cholesterol good, blood sugars good, blood pressure high at 170/60) but they are booking me in to wear a heart monitor and to have a heart scan to check wall/valves as a precautionary.

Needless to say it has woke me up bigtime and im making massive steps to change my life as I am only 35 and I dont want to die at this age so I will be adding to this thread.

Ironically my health scare happened at work when we were being trained for a new campaign as advisors for one of the largest food and health care producers in the world for their customer services and we were learning about fats and spreads on that day. Here are my notes about fats.....

Fats have a role to play in the body.
-Source of energy.
-Carriers for fat soluble vitamins.
-Makes food more palatable and tasty.
-Provides essential omega 3 and 6 which cannot be made in the body (fatty acids)

How much fat is ok?

International guidelines reccomend 30-35% of total energy intake.
Male 95 grams
Female 70 grams.

Types of fat.

"Bad"

Saturated...Full fat dairy products, meat, palm and cocunut oil.
Trans fats... Dairy products and meat.

"Good"

Poly unsaturated... seed oils (corn, sunflower and soya)
Mono unsaturated... olive oil, certain spreads, rapeseed, avocadoes.

Saturated fat is the one to reduce and watch as it can higher cholesterol levels. The difference between saturated and non saturated is the chemical bond.

Saturated... solid at room temp... mostly from animal... single bond.
Non saturated... liquid at room temp... mostly from veg... double bond.

Cholesterol is a fat like substance in the body. Most of the cholesterol is produced in the liver in our bodies and some of it is found in eggs and seafood. Seafood and eggs dont raise cholesterol, its foods that are high in saturated fats that do.

Cholesterol is important to the bodies cell membranes and to the production of certain hormones and helps act as an insulator for your nerves.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
26-06-2016, 03:02 PM
(26-06-2016 12:37 PM)bemore Wrote:  Ive recently had a health scare, thought I was having a heart attack and had to go to accident and emergency. Everything turned out fine (ECG normal, blood tests all come back good, chest xray clear, cholesterol good, blood sugars good, blood pressure high at 170/60) but they are booking me in to wear a heart monitor and to have a heart scan to check wall/valves as a precautionary.

Needless to say it has woke me up bigtime and im making massive steps to change my life as I am only 35 and I dont want to die at this age so I will be adding to this thread.

Ironically my health scare happened at work when we were being trained for a new campaign as advisors for one of the largest food and health care producers in the world for their customer services and we were learning about fats and spreads on that day. Here are my notes about fats.....

-Source of energy.
-Provides essential omega 3 and 6 which cannot be made in the body (fatty acids)

How much fat is ok?

Male 95 grams
Female 70 grams.

Types of fat.

"Bad"

"Good"

Saturated fat is the one to reduce and watch as it can higher cholesterol levels. The difference between saturated and non saturated is the chemical bond.

Cholesterol is a fat like substance in the body. Most of the cholesterol is produced in the liver in our bodies and some of it is found in eggs and seafood. Seafood and eggs dont raise cholesterol, its foods that are high in saturated fats that do.

Cholesterol is important to the bodies cell membranes and to the production of certain hormones and helps act as an insulator for your nerves.

Yabbut, cholesterol is not the enemy you thought it was.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/19/health/die...index.html

Basically, we don't know shit about food. Not a damn thing. I remember being told to eat margarine because it was healthier than butter, that coffee causes heart attacks and so, so many more scientific results from food research. Every damn thing they have told us about food has been reversed a decade later. There is something we just don't get.

What makes sense is to stick with non processed foods and eat the way we have eaten for hundreds of years.

26-06-2016, 03:11 PM
(26-06-2016 03:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  What makes sense is to stick with non processed foods and eat the way we have eaten for hundreds of years.

meagerly and on the brink of starvation? Consider

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
26-06-2016, 03:34 PM
(26-06-2016 12:37 PM)bemore Wrote:  Ive recently had a health scare, thought I was having a heart attack and had to go to accident and emergency. Everything turned out fine (ECG normal, blood tests all come back good, chest xray clear, cholesterol good, blood sugars good, blood pressure high at 170/60) but they are booking me in to wear a heart monitor and to have a heart scan to check wall/valves as a precautionary.

-Source of energy.

How much fat is ok?

Male 95 grams
Female 70 grams.

Types of fat.

"Bad"

"Good"

Thanks for the post. Glad you're going to be okay. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
26-06-2016, 03:36 PM
(26-06-2016 03:11 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 03:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  What makes sense is to stick with non processed foods and eat the way we have eaten for hundreds of years.

Yes, for many of us. Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
26-06-2016, 05:23 PM
(26-06-2016 03:11 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

There were meager times and there were times where being round was a sign of affluence...

What I meant to say is that we should stick with the stuff our bodies have evolved to exploit for nutrients.