Helping a kid with homework

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 06:31 PM
RE: Helping a kid with homework
I have had a telephone conversation with Charlie's teacher and we've agreed that he is to work on homework no more than one hour per night and he is to be in bed by nine o'clock.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like f stop's post
02-04-2014, 07:17 PM
(02-04-2014 06:31 PM)f stop Wrote:  I have had a telephone conversation with Charlie's teacher and we've agreed that he is to work on homework no more than one hour per night and he is to be in bed by nine o'clock.

You know, with some of the pressure off of both you and your child...things may improve drastically. Just the decrease in stress will be a huge plus.

Good for you for reaching out to the teacher! And good for the teacher for working with you.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-04-2014, 07:38 PM
(02-04-2014 06:31 PM)f stop Wrote:  I have had a telephone conversation with Charlie's teacher and we've agreed that he is to work on homework no more than one hour per night and he is to be in bed by nine o'clock.

So glad about this!! So it won't impact his grades negatively if it doesn't all get done?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
02-04-2014, 07:55 PM

Clap

You will both be so much happier!

YAY!!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
07-04-2015, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2015 09:52 PM by f stop.)
It's been over a year since my original post about Charlie. Charlie has a new teacher and things are now worse. The agreement that Charlie work no more than one hour per night on homework no longer stands. We are now helping him not only with mathematics but with everything except science. He does not need help with science and he gets an A in that subject, ergo, he's not stupid.

Something I was not aware of last year: Charlie has ADHD. He takes two ADHD pills in the morning, another two when he arrives at our house, and three sleeping pills at bedtime. His diagnosis of ADHD makes him eligible for an IEP (Individual Study Plan) which would take him out of the mainstream school population, give him a special teacher and allow him to study at his own pace. His mother requested an IEP two years ago but the school seems to be dragging their feet.

Charlie arrived at our house at 4pm today. We let him play video games until 5:00 and we worked with him until 10pm. That's typical. That's 25 hours per week and not only am I not getting paid but I do not have the training to work with a "special" child. The school sends me notes (which I pass on to his mother) about their discipline problems with Charlie. He sleeps in class and they let him, they just send me notes. I feel like I'm doing their job for them and I'm not qualified.

I'm so frustrated that I've had a discussion with Charlie's mother about home schooling him next year. I'm working with him 25 hours a week anyway. Under Ohio Law (I've done some research) the parents of home schooled children can choose their children's curricula so she and I could choose our own methods and work at Charlie's pace. If fundamentalists can home school their kids and teach them that man walked with dinosaurs why can't I teach a kid math the old fashioned way? But maybe that's a dumb idea.

One thing is not an option. I cannot simply walk away. I'm too emotionally involved. A couple of weeks back he ran out of pills and the pharmacy did not have any for a refill. It would take a week to get the pills. His mother's insurance specifies which pharmacy she must use. She cannot go to just any pharmacy. That night, without the pills, he acted up and we yelled at him. I was ashamed of myself. The next day I got the prescription from his mother, found a pharmacy that had the pills and paid $100 of my own money for them. That's how involved I am.

Sorry for the rant.

Sapere aude
07-04-2015, 10:20 PM
The parent is the child's most important teacher. Why is his mother not taking this up herself?

I know you feel an emotional attachment, but from this angle, you look like a horse being ridden hard. 25 hours and no pay? That's some bullshit right there.
08-04-2015, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 12:16 AM by Alex K.)
Good grief, I just discovered this thread. If I had been forced to do 25 hours of work after school till 10pm each week as a child, I'd need a therapist, too. What is the purpose of this child abuse? No time for play, no time to develop own interests, being exhausted from an inhuman daily workload.

What's the strategic goal of this?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
15-04-2015, 01:38 PM
(07-04-2015 09:48 PM)f stop Wrote:  Something I was not aware of last year: Charlie has ADHD. He takes two ADHD pills in the morning, another two when he arrives at our house, and three sleeping pills at bedtime. His diagnosis of ADHD makes him eligible for an IEP (Individual Study Plan) which would take him out of the mainstream school population, give him a special teacher and allow him to study at his own pace. His mother requested an IEP two years ago but the school seems to be dragging their feet.
The request for an IEP has been denied because Ohio does not consider ADHD to be a learning disability.

What part of "Attention Deficit" don't they understand?
Frusty

Sapere aude