Helping others

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Helping others
I was in McDonalds last night using their free wifi when a lady who looked homeless walked over and asked if I was the guy who was writing a book.

I replied yes and she went on to tell me that she had self published a book through some website and how her proceeds went to support 8 homeless families and how she had the support from 35 different pastors.

That's amazing I said. I've wanted to start my own charity to help people who had lost their home through fire or other financial circumstances because I've been through that kind of situation.

She then went on rambling about her "angels ministries" and that was the point that I interrupted her to say that I am an atheist.

We spoke a bit more and she ended her talk with "As you get older, you may change your mind and start to believe."
I replied -"I can only hope that as you get older, you'll grow strong enough to let that delusion go."

The look on her face was priceless.

We said goodbye, happy new year and I realized that she really didn't have any faith in a god, because she knows 100% that people only get help from other people. There are no gods that help people. Only people help people.

She started her charity because she knew that the god she believes in wouldn't be offering any help.

Every charity out there is essentially an atheist charity.
For me, that was my insightful thought of the day.

I wish I would have thought to tell her that.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Rahn127's post
02-01-2016, 10:13 AM
RE: Helping others
Good one. Tell us about your book.

Doc
02-01-2016, 11:11 AM
I posted info on my book in the literature section several months ago for anyone interested.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...dred-Lives

The purpose of the post was more about how charities really are faithless organizations.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
03-01-2016, 07:25 AM
(02-01-2016 10:03 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I was in McDonalds last night using their free wifi when a lady who looked homeless walked over and asked if I was the guy who was writing a book.

I replied yes and she went on to tell me that she had self published a book through some website and how her proceeds went to support 8 homeless families and how she had the support from 35 different pastors.

That's amazing I said. I've wanted to start my own charity to help people who had lost their home through fire or other financial circumstances because I've been through that kind of situation.

She then went on rambling about her "angels ministries" and that was the point that I interrupted her to say that I am an atheist.

We spoke a bit more and she ended her talk with "As you get older, you may change your mind and start to believe."
I replied -"I can only hope that as you get older, you'll grow strong enough to let that delusion go."

The look on her face was priceless.

We said goodbye, happy new year and I realized that she really didn't have any faith in a god, because she knows 100% that people only get help from other people. There are no gods that help people. Only people help people.

She started her charity because she knew that the god she believes in wouldn't be offering any help.

Every charity out there is essentially an atheist charity.
For me, that was my insightful thought of the day.

I wish I would have thought to tell her that.

This is so true. If one wants to help people out of a genuine sense of good will, then that is good. Don't give help out of a sense of duty or to please some fictional God. I say be proud and say that you are doing it because it brings you pleasure to do it. And if it doesn't then don't do it. I believe that moral commandment is a contradiction in terms. I despise people who claim to be selfless.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
03-01-2016, 11:08 AM
True, if there was reason to believe in gods there'd be no need for charity or fund raisers.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
03-01-2016, 11:29 AM
I used to help other people all the time with their problems.... Many a night would I end the day with grease under my fingernails from somebody else's car, boat or motorcycle......

One day I got a call from a guy -- and I realized - the only time he calls me - is when he needed his bike worked on.

I told him so, and told him to fuck off.....

Haven't seen him since.

And I'm good with that....

I prefer people who show up, just to say hi.....

Them - I'll help anytime they need it....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Charity, why do we do it? I have asked that question of myself and others for a while. I was raised believing I was doing God's work, but early on asked why God didn't do His own work. I deposit 1000 pesos with a local grocery store three times a month and a little orphan girl ( a Haitian) stops by and collects 100 pesos worth of food daily to live on she is 9 years old and living in the shack that her mother was in when she died. That 1000 pesos is about $22.40. And as I started out saying I often ask myself why I do it. I don't see any possiblility that she will be able to support me when I get real ancient, now being 70 yrs old.
03-01-2016, 01:09 PM
I help people in large part because there have been people along the way who have helped me.

God doesn't come in to play. Just trying to be a decent human.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat