Helping with a personality change.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2014, 02:26 AM
RE: Helping with a personality change.
(22-05-2014 06:20 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I am trying to change the way I act to a fun guy who is goofy to someone more serious and a lot less silly. You know, no more trying to be funny, in fact I want to try and be a lot less funny. I want people to respect me, not see me as another joke.

It depends on why you're being goofy. I found that I developed a lot of defence mechanisms at school that I needed rid of when I left home. You might have learnt to be goofy in order to be accepted but it's not actually who you are inside. You'll always have the ability to be goofy and to make people laugh, but you may need to develop the confidence to present yourself as yourself.

You'll probably find yourself automatically wanting to goof off in a social situation that you are not confident about. Recognising this and making a conscious effort to stop it when it happens will give you the chance to interact with people as the person that you are.

It's not just about people respecting you, it's about you respecting yourself. The defence mechanism that I personally developed from school was the ability to shock people and get a rise out of them. I inadvertently learnt to do that because it led to some ephemeral social contact.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
23-05-2014, 02:30 AM
(22-05-2014 07:21 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I also want to be intimidating as well.

The ability to be intimidating is learnt by being intimidated yourself.

It's not a particularly useful skill and the lessons are best avoided if possible.
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
23-05-2014, 02:35 AM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2014 02:42 AM by Mathilda.)
(22-05-2014 07:51 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  There is a time and place to be goofy an a time and place to be super cereal.

[Image: Super_Cereal_by_emo_nerd.jpg]

(Muff's secret identity)
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
23-05-2014, 02:42 AM
OK just read through the thread. It just sounds to me like you're growing up and adapting to a new social environment. It's a natural process. Don't worry about it. You don't want to be goofy any more, you find people respect you more when you're serious and quiet so this is how you are starting to interact with people. The more successful this is the less likely you'll want to play at being goofy.

Here's a tip though. You don't need to be intimidating if you are strong willed, prepared to stand up for yourself and willing to see things through to the end.
23-05-2014, 04:01 AM
I don't find you goofy at all. I always check out your threads and your posts (look for them) and only just found out how young you are, and I always respect what you have to say.

From what I know of you in the forum, you are often age appropriate and often the content of your posts are well above that of your peers.

Did I say I learn from you--yes!

Growing up is hard. I have faith (based upon current observations) that you will do quite well Yes.

Does this earn me a seal!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
23-05-2014, 04:15 AM
(23-05-2014 04:01 AM)Dee Wrote:  I don't find you goofy at all. I always check out your threads and your posts (look for them) and only just found out how young you are, and I always respect what you have to say.

From what I know of you in the forum, you are often age appropriate and often the content of your posts are well above that of your peers.

Did I say I learn from you--yes!

Growing up is hard. I have faith (based upon current observations) that you will do quite well Yes.

Does this earn me a seal!

Sure

[Image: HarpSeal_DFO.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-05-2014, 04:37 AM
(23-05-2014 04:01 AM)Dee Wrote:  snip: Does this earn me a seal!
(23-05-2014 04:15 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Sure

OMG, it's beautiful. I'm going to watercolor it and name it Paleo, artist trading card size. Big Grin

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
23-05-2014, 08:02 AM
(22-05-2014 06:20 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I am trying to change the way I act to a fun guy who is goofy to someone more serious and a lot less silly. You know, no more trying to be funny, in fact I want to try and be a lot less funny. I want people to respect me, not see me as another joke.
You are what you are man. Embrace it.
Why the hell do you care what others think? I'm sure your circle understands you and isn't that all that matters.
Besides if you take life too seriously you'll just turn into a bitter old cunt. Sitting on your deck in your rocking chair yelling at kids on your lawn.
It would be much more fun to turn the hose on or throw eggs at them while laughing like a madman.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
23-05-2014, 12:06 PM
(23-05-2014 08:02 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
You are what you are man. Embrace it.
Why the hell do you care what others think? I'm sure your circle understands you and isn't that all that matters.
Besides if you take life too seriously you'll just turn into a bitter old cunt. Sitting on your deck in your rocking chair yelling at kids on your lawn.
It would be much more fun to turn the hose on or throw eggs at them while laughing like a madman.

Well the change has started. Haven't smiled or laughed once today in school.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-05-2014, 12:10 PM
(23-05-2014 04:37 AM)Dee Wrote:  
(23-05-2014 04:01 AM)Dee Wrote:  snip: Does this earn me a seal!
(23-05-2014 04:15 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Sure

OMG, it's beautiful. I'm going to watercolor it and name it Paleo, artist trading card size. Big Grin

Thanks. You should show the forum the seal when you are done.