Her eyes weren't watching god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Her eyes weren't watching god
Today would have been truly great Octavia Butler's 70th birthday. To my own last day I would never stop being sad that she died so young - she lost all the years she should have had and we lost all the books she never got to write Sadcryface

The Empathetic Secular Vision of Octavia Butler

"Reveling in science fiction/fantasy for an openness she saw lacking in other genres, Octavia E. Butler gave us gene-trading extraterrestrials, psionically powered mutants, a genetically engineered vampire, a reluctant time traveler forced to visit the brutal past of American slavery. There was no subject matter she wouldn’t tackle, no story she wouldn’t write during her three-decades-long career—except for one. The ghost story. She didn’t believe in ghosts. Raised as a born-again Baptist, Butler stopped believing in the afterlife and a celestial caretaker by age twelve. “Somehow you’re supposed to believe and have faith but not worry about having any evidence to support that belief and faith,” she said in a 1988 interview. “That just doesn’t work for me, and I never went back.” Coincidentally, at age twelve she began trying her hand at science fiction"

(Don't agree with everything the article has to say, but I don't need too...)

Can you love someone you've never even met and never will? Because I think I truly love this woman...

"there is nothing new under the sun
but there are new suns"

[Image: 6a00e54ed2b7aa883301b8d28f28c7970c-650wi]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
23-06-2017, 01:57 PM
RE: Her eyes weren't watching god
I need to read some of her books because she sounds amazing!
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
23-06-2017, 02:25 PM
You should, Emma! I started with Lilith's Brood and then the Parables series (sadly, very topical today Undecided ), Kindred is more a sort of fantasy, about race. Am saving the rest for later, because she has so few Sadcryface

(09-11-2016 10:12 AM)Vera Wrote:  With the damage to the fight against climate change that this random muddy dirt pig of pointless snort grunt and orange shout chief of massive nonsense fluff wig is bound to cause, Octavia Butler’s Parables are getting frightfully close to coming literally true. Undecided

“When apparent stability disintegrates.
As it must
People tend to give in
To fear and depression,
To need and greed.
When no influence is strong enough
To unify people
They divide.
They struggle,
One against one,
Group against group,
For survival, position, power.
They remember old hates and generate new ones,
They create chaos and nurture it.
They kill and kill and kill,
Until they are exhausted and destroyed,
Until they are conquered by outside forces,
Or until one of them becomes
A leader
Most will follow,
Or a tyrant
Most fear.”

[Image: octavia-butler-440747.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
23-06-2017, 04:57 PM
And neither were Alan Turing's, who was also born on this day. And whose was death was not just untimely, but a disgrace to humanity Sadcryface Angry

This is his statue on the date of his death...

[Image: XO0aUaM.jpg]