Herbal Medicine to cure AIDS/HIV?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Herbal Medicine to cure AIDS/HIV?
Apparently my grandmother was boasting about the power of Chinese herbal medicine and was saying stuff like it can cure AIDS - cos she thinks she is a doctor....

ofc, my first reaction is - oh, here goes the witch doctor again....

but then some other uneducated scrubs (family) cuts in and was telling me it really works. and there is articles about it.

I managed to do some search however I do not seen any journal or major news about anything related to this matter. Since this is not my research field. I'd like to open my mind for now, until I can ensure this is completely blasphemy, which I already think it is.

So, is there any reliable evidence, such as published journal article on this matter?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2012, 06:07 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2012 10:00 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Herbal Medicine to cure AIDS/HIV?
(24-07-2012 05:45 AM)BlahBlokesBraBroke Wrote:  Apparently my grandmother was boasting about the power of Chinese herbal medicine and was saying stuff like it can cure AIDS - cos she thinks she is a doctor....

but then some other uneducated scrubs (family) cuts in and was telling me it really works. and there is articles about it.

I managed to do some search however I do not seen any journal or major news about anything related to this matter. Since this is not my research field. I'd like to open my mind for now, until I can ensure this is completely blasphemy, which I already think it is.

So, is there any reliable evidence, such as published journal article on this matter?

No there isn't.
I don't really know what is out there in terms of published stuff, about "alternative" cures, but my sister works in a research lab that is working on this, and it is bullshit. 110 % bullshit.

The entire world's research community knows exactly what the state of the research is, with regard to this disease, and what's left to be done.

1. The anti-retrovirals work well in most people, but are very expensive.
2. The gentleman from Germany who was somewhat inadvertently cured by the bone marrow transplant, (for his Leukemia), a couple years ago has been found to have some HIV DNA still in him, but inactive, and he is still off the meds, and doing well. His CD4 count is at normal levels. *
3. There are promising studies at different centers, including some genetic interventions, (such as the study using already approved chemo drugs at the U of Minnesota), which are underway. Edit. The administration of these drugs in combination, causes the virus to rapidly mutate to a version/state which is no longer "viable".
4. Previously, researchers feared that it would never be possible to get the contents of the the various white blood cell reservoirs of HIV to disgorge their contents, and that perhaps brain phages, and other structures might be "hiding" places also, so that a cure would never be possible. This has been proven incorrect by the bone marrow guy. A cure will be possible, most likely, and a vaccine possible also. For those in high risk groups, one of the anti-retrovirals has already been proven effective as prevention.
5. Current estimates are that the cure is about 5-10 years out.
6. If this crap worked, it would be headlines, all over the globe. We know exactly what the hurdles that have to be overcome are, and the problems that are yet to be solved, and why. The only problem remaining, is the "disgorgement" problem, and how to get the WBC's to open up. Then the already effective drugs can take over, and remove the disgorged circulating virus.
7. Whatever the "cure" is, we know it will have to be at least a two step process. a. the circulating virus will have to be either inactivated, or somehow rendered unable to replicate. (This is already taken care of by, for example Atrypla alone, or by the combo drugs, of Epzicom, and Sustiva), (I think there are other combos..that's the only one I remember). and b. the hiding places, (white cell reservoirs), will have to be induced to open up. The probability that ONE thing will be able to do both is almost zero. So if you hear about one thing being "the" cure, you can be sure it probably isn't.
8. This week the 2012 International Aids Conference is going on in DC, and I think some of the presentations are on line for the first time. I'll try to find the links to the free ones.
Here's one, I'll keep looking. http://globalhealth.kff.org/AIDS2012/Jul...demic.aspx

* Edit : #2 : Should say DNA fragments

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-07-2012, 06:27 AM
There is something apparently.... some sort of root....... but ive only heard about it in conspiracy circles so dont know how much truth it holds (none probably)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
24-07-2012, 07:28 AM
(24-07-2012 06:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-07-2012 05:45 AM)BlahBlokesBraBroke Wrote:  Apparently my grandmother was boasting about the power of Chinese herbal medicine and was saying stuff like it can cure AIDS - cos she thinks she is a doctor....

No there isn't.
I don't really know what is out there in terms of published stuff, about "alternative" cures, but my sister works in a research lab that is working on this, and it is bullshit. 110 % bullshit.

The entire world's research community knows exactly what the state of the research is, with regard to this disease, and what's left to be done.

1. The anti-retrovirals work well in most people, but are very expensive.
2. The gentleman from Germany who was somewhat inadvertently cured by the bone marrow transplant, (for his Leukemia), a couple years ago has been found to have some HIV DNA still in him, but inactive, and he is still off the meds, and doing well. His CD4 count is at normal levels.
3. There are promising studies at different centers, including some genetic interventions, (such as the study using already approved chemo drugs at the U of Minnesota), which are underway.
4. Previously, researchers feared that it would never be possible to get the contents of the the various white blood cell reservoirs of HIV to disgorge their contents, and that perhaps brain phages, and other structures might be "hiding" places also, so that a cure would never be possible. This has been proven incorrect by the bone marrow guy. A cure will be possible, most likely, and a vaccine possible also. For those in high risk groups, one of the anti-retrovirals has already been proven effective as prevention.
5. Current estimates are that the cure is about 5-10 years out.
6. If this crap worked, it would be headlines, all over the globe. We know exactly what the hurdles that have to be overcome are, and the problems that are yet to be solved, and why. The only problem remaining, is the "disgorgement" problem, and how to get the WBC's to open up. Then the already effective drugs can take over, and remove the disgorged circulating virus.
7. Whatever the "cure" is, we know it will have to be at least a two step process. a. the circulating virus will have to be either inactivated, or somehow rendered unable to replicate. and b. the hiding places, (white cell reservoirs), will have to be induced to open up. The probability that ONE thing will be able to do both is almost zero. So if you hear about one thing being "the" cure, you can be sure it probably isn't.
8. This week the 2012 International Aids Conference is going on in DC, and I think some of the presentations are on line for the first time. I'll try to find the links to the free ones.
Here's one, I'll keep looking. http://globalhealth.kff.org/AIDS2012/Jul...demic.aspx

Thanks. Just as I expected. Now its time to slap my grandmother in the face and tell her to not embarrass herself by get some real education.
24-07-2012, 08:27 AM
There was some noise about trichosanthes kirilowii, a Chinese cucumber, that grows this white fungus thingy...

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2012, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2012 10:05 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-07-2012 08:27 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  There was some noise about trichosanthes kirilowii, a Chinese cucumber, that grows this white fungus thingy...

Yes, and whoever, or whatever was trying to sell the supplement which contains that did a really crooked/unethical job of marketing it. Just Google it. Almost every site is somehow infected, or hijacked but that product's link. Even if it could kill or incativate the virus, it could not induce a white blood cell to open up. If it could, it would also kill off your immune system, in general, and you would die from the cure. The step of the opening/inducing will have to be a specific, (maybe "engineered") protein, which will act only on the surface structure(s) of certain cells. The research which involved this was helpful in understanding some of the processes, (Scientific American), but not seen as a final cure.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-07-2012, 11:51 PM
It is said that cannabis can slow down the AIDS progression... Most of the cocktail used today to suppress AIDS have some cannabis and it is actively researched for this. Cannabis is a plant that grows all over Asia.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-07-2012, 12:29 AM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2012 12:56 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-07-2012 11:51 PM)Filox Wrote:  It is said that cannabis can slow down the AIDS progression... Most of the cocktail used today to suppress AIDS have some cannabis and it is actively researched for this. Cannabis is a plant that grows all over Asia.

I don't think so. The "cocktails" are really a thing of the past, as the one, and two drug treatments are now the way everyone is treated. Cannabis IS used a lot by people with HIV, for symptom magagement, ( http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...081627.htm ) . As far as I know there was one study in 2003 of 67 men. Their viral loads remained undetectable, (so there is no way to really know what would have happened if they used Cannabis, and not been on meds), but there was a small increase in their "immune function". I assume by that, they mean CD4 counts, but it could be more complicated than that. So it depends what is meant by "AIDS progression". If they meant "weight loss", you are correct. Apart from that, (I didn't read the whole study), I didn't see any "slowing" of "progression".

25-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Cannabis has been shown to dramatically help patients in preventing wasting syndrome. Stimulating a patients appetite, and allowing the body to be nourished slows the progression of AIDS, but I don't believe there is any evidence yet that shows cannabinoids have a direct effect on the AIDS virus. Some research does point towards cannabis having an effect on the virus directly, but nothing conclusive as of yet.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
25-07-2012, 08:03 AM
One other thing can cure AIDS, haven't you seen this?

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/16...e-for-aids

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post