Herbicide turns boy frogs into girls

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2014, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 12:28 AM by ghostexorcist.)
Herbicide turns boy frogs into girls
Almost three years ago, I posted a story idea about the government splicing human DNA with that of amphibians to create supersoldiers with the unique abilities of frogs and salamanders (breathing underwater, expert swimmers, jumping long distances, hibernating, etc.). The experiment backfires when the soldiers turn into cannibalistic monsters (frogs will eat anything) due to a period of decreased food availability. As an added twist, I thought that exposure to the common herbicide atrazine could transform some of the soldiers into females who could lay viable eggs. This makes them more alien since it crosses the line of gender.

The last bit about the gender switch is based on actual science. I took a herpetology class in college a few years ago, and we had to read a paper on the subject. I recently found it online. It's crazy stuff like this that makes science so interesting. I'll admit it's also scary since atrazine is so widely used.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles...909519.pdf

Here is a popular write up on the research by Live Science.

http://www.livescience.com/10957-pestici...males.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
07-04-2014, 12:25 AM
RE: Herbicide turns boy frogs into girls
Not in to princes?

I've been lied to!

Angry

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-04-2014, 12:29 AM
RE: Herbicide turns boy frogs into girls
(07-04-2014 12:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Not in to princes?

I've been lied to!

Angry

Well, a prince who is genetically male, but can have babies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user