Herd Immunity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Herd Immunity
Hey everyone, I came across this link that one of my anti-vaxx friends posted on facebook

http://gianelloni.wordpress.com/2013/09/...-immunity/

I just wanted to get everyone's opinions on it and possibly some rebuttals. I am really having trouble with this vaccine debate because I feel like I totally suck at science and I have just been tottering on the fence for some time. Any clarification/help would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2014, 05:26 PM
RE: Herd Immunity
(16-03-2014 05:18 PM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  Hey everyone, I came across this link that one of my anti-vaxx friends posted on facebook

http://gianelloni.wordpress.com/2013/09/...-immunity/

I just wanted to get everyone's opinions on it and possibly some rebuttals. I am really having trouble with this vaccine debate because I feel like I totally suck at science and I have just been tottering on the fence for some time. Any clarification/help would be greatly appreciated.

The person that wrote that is an idiot. Herd immunity means that if 99% of the population is immune to a disease it lowers the risk of the 1% who (due to medical reasons) cannot get vaccinated. That is all. What they are bitching about it the result of lowering the immunised rate to where formerly under control diseases are making a come back and due to the viruses adapting to the environment making a jump from unvaccinated kids to vaccinated. People who don't vaccinate are horrible and stupid. Sorry if that hurts their feelings but it is true.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 8 users Like Revenant77x's post
16-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Agree with the above post. Whomever ever wrote this has no idea what "herd immunity" means. And, no one is claiming unvaccinated children are a threat to vaccinated children. This fool is just building strawmen to justify his position.

I can't believe we are still having these debates.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
16-03-2014, 05:44 PM
(16-03-2014 05:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The person that wrote that is an idiot. Herd immunity means that if 99% of the population is immune to a disease it lowers the risk of the 1% who (due to medical reasons) cannot get vaccinated. That is all. What they are bitching about it the result of lowering the immunised rate to where formerly under control diseases are making a come back and due to the viruses adapting to the environment making a jump from unvaccinated kids to vaccinated. People who don't vaccinate are horrible and stupid. Sorry if that hurts their feelings but it is true.

That person is actually arguing that there is no proof that vaccinated children cannot give other children a disease. Conclusion, if both vaccinated and unvaccinated kids can give others a disease, why vaccinate?

Facepalm

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
16-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Btw, the comments on that blog are fantastic. "Why are people not as smart as us and can't see we don't need vaccines". You think any of them have looked at the death tolls from certain diseases before we vaccinated against them? I doubt it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
16-03-2014, 05:53 PM
(16-03-2014 05:45 PM)BnW Wrote:  Btw, the comments on that blog are fantastic. "Why are people not as smart as us and can't see we don't need vaccines". You think any of them have looked at the death tolls from certain diseases before we vaccinated against them? I doubt it.

They are the same as any conspiracy nuts. Everyone else is too stupid to the "The Truth" and of course anyone who shows proof to the contrary to their thinking are part of the "Lol Conspiracy".

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
16-03-2014, 06:09 PM
(16-03-2014 05:45 PM)BnW Wrote:  Btw, the comments on that blog are fantastic. "Why are people not as smart as us and can't see we don't need vaccines". You think any of them have looked at the death tolls from certain diseases before we vaccinated against them? I doubt it.

What amazes me is that many of these anti-vaxers minimize the danger of 'childhood' diseases. They simply don't accept that measles, for instance, maims and kills.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Isn't there any legal consequence for people who don't get vaccinated? there should

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
16-03-2014, 06:53 PM
(16-03-2014 06:28 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Isn't there any legal consequence for people who don't get vaccinated? there should

I disagree. The right to refuse medical treatment is a constitutional right. While, not having your children vaccinated is stupid and irresponsible, it is a right that needs to be protected.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
16-03-2014, 06:56 PM
(16-03-2014 06:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  

What amazes me is that many of these anti-vaxers minimize the danger of 'childhood' diseases. They simply don't accept that measles, for instance, maims and kills.

That's funny because I watched an anti-vaxx documentary yesterday and someone said that "Vaccines are maiming and killing our children." I think this is part of what makes this debate so confusing. Everything one side says can be parroted the exact same way, just in reverse on the other side.