Herd Immunity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2014, 07:11 AM
RE: Herd Immunity
(16-03-2014 06:56 PM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  
(16-03-2014 06:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  What amazes me is that many of these anti-vaxers minimize the danger of 'childhood' diseases. They simply don't accept that measles, for instance, maims and kills.

That's funny because I watched an anti-vaxx documentary yesterday and someone said that "Vaccines are maiming and killing our children." I think this is part of what makes this debate so confusing. Everything one side says can be parroted the exact same way, just in reverse on the other side.

That may be; but only one side has facts and evidence. And it's easy to find out which side that is. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-03-2014, 07:18 AM
(16-03-2014 11:31 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I have a serious question. Do not attack me, because I really want to know. What is the purpose of these damn vaccinations if they are not going to protect my children from the kids whose parents are too stupid to have then vaccinated?
Also, where I live children who are not vaccinated are banned from daycares and public schools. Is it not the same in other places?

That's not quite how it works.

No vaccine is 100% effective. It will be 100% effective on some people, 90% on others, and so on down to effectively 0% on a few. There is no easy way (currently) to know how effective many vaccines are on any given person.

So if there is a significant minority of people who are not vaccinated, it gives the disease organism places to live and reproduce and spread, thereby putting all those who are not completely immune in danger. Significant danger.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-03-2014, 07:25 AM
(17-03-2014 01:03 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-03-2014 11:31 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I have a serious question. Do not attack me, because I really want to know. What is the purpose of these damn vaccinations if they are not going to protect my children from the kids whose parents are too stupid to have then vaccinated?
Also, where I live children who are not vaccinated are banned from daycares and public schools. Is it not the same in other places?

It is not vaccinated kids who are at risk, it is unvaccinated kids (there are a lot of health reasons why some are unable to be vaccinated ie: compromised immune system) and younger children who have not been vaccinated yet. It is a percentage game vaccinations if most everyone is vaccinated then the few who cannot be or are not yet are at a lower risk. However since the antivaxxer movement has risen the number of unvaccinated to the point that herd immunity is no longer in effect they are putting not only their kids at risk but the children that are unable to be vaccinated. That is why they are horrible people, they are risking not only their own children's lives (which is bad enough) but putting children who are already dealing with major illness at increased and unnecessary risk.

Actually, vaccinated people are at risk. Vaccinations are not 100% effective, so even some of those who have been vaccinated can contract the disease.

17-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Hey,if a child dies of some disease that could've been prevented by vavinating,can you charge his/her parents with attempted murder out of neglect or shit?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
17-03-2014, 07:47 AM
(17-03-2014 07:44 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Hey,if a child dies of some disease that could've been prevented by vavinating,can you charge his/her parents with attempted murder out of neglect or shit?

Nope.

Atir aissom atir imon
17-03-2014, 08:48 AM
(16-03-2014 10:12 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(16-03-2014 06:53 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I disagree. The right to refuse medical treatment is a constitutional right. While, not having your children vaccinated is stupid and irresponsible, it is a right that needs to be protected.

I agree. And as a solution to the rights of individuals to not vaccinate themselves, I would propose rounding them up in camps. This way, we can "concentrate" the risk to localities where we can better observe the spread of treatable and preventable diseases. The deaths of those people in these "concentration camps" will help science advance our understanding of disease.

...did I go too far ? Angel

It reminds me of that one conspiracy theory people believe in, that the gov't will start throwing people in concentration camps and killing them like in Nazi Germany.
17-03-2014, 08:50 AM

I am pretty sure they just fill out those religious/philosophical exemption papers. I know my state allows that to be done (Arizona).
17-03-2014, 08:53 AM
(17-03-2014 08:50 AM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  

I am pretty sure they just fill out those religious/philosophical exemption papers. I know my state allows that to be done (Arizona).

Didn't your state also ban teaching Mexican American History? Dodgy

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
17-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Mississippi and West Virginia are the only states that do not allow a religious exemption. That is just sad.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
17-03-2014, 09:11 AM
(17-03-2014 08:53 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(17-03-2014 08:50 AM)Punk Pumpkin Wrote:  I am pretty sure they just fill out those religious/philosophical exemption papers. I know my state allows that to be done (Arizona).

Didn't your state also ban teaching Mexican American History? Dodgy

I have no idea...Huh I never heard about that. Just looked it up though, looks like it was banned in Tucson...ha! Here is a little part of the article: "...conservative opponents accused the teachers of encouraging students to adopt left-wing ideas and resent white people, a charge the teachers deny. Aiming squarely at Tucson’s Mexican-American Studies program, the Arizona legislature passed HB 2281 -- a law banning courses that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government, foster racial resentment, are designed for students of a particular ethnic group or that advocate ethnic solidarity." That is just ridiculous. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/11...51034.html