Here goes...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2016, 09:17 AM
RE: Here goes...
Nobody commented on my pictures. Aren't those planes gorgeous? The F-5 is ooold tech, no doubt about it, but damn...what a beautiful bird. You WEAR that airplane, you really do. I looked into buying one, they're cheap- you can get an E for about $175,000 now. But the cost of fuel, maintenance, parts...damn. I need to hit the powerball. twice. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
27-09-2016, 09:19 AM
oh hell- gotta run. Doctor's appointment.

Ciao', back soon. Smile
27-09-2016, 09:52 AM
(27-09-2016 08:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  I've thought about this sort of scenario many times and believe that there is a point where even if the procedure cured the disease I wouldn't want to live with the result.
And if the undesirable procedure only improved the odds or extended my life a short while, then I don't think I would do it. Instead, I would opt for palliative care and choosing my exit.

That's where I've come to on these questions. Your mileage may vary.

Same here.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-09-2016, 10:10 AM
Man, and just when I think I'm the one with serious medical issues. Sad

TD1, hit up my inbox if you ever need to talk. I'll send you my phone number or whatever you want.

Many hugs, and thank you for your service-- and for paying the price for that service.

Just stick around as long as you can, eh? You've quickly become a great voice in this community.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
27-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Quote:Just stick around as long as you can, eh? You've quickly become a great voice in this community.

Waiting for my ride to the doc, too many opiates in my blood to drive, I think.

Thanks, RS...I hope I contribute something. I try to. Something besides an opposing political view most people here find abhorrent, anyway. Big Grin

I'm uncomfortable with the "thank you for your service" thing, always have been...but the thought is appreciated.

I wonder if I'd feel better about all of this if I had been injured in combat. I think about that alot...I just don't know. Our accident seems so stupid and random, but then, that's sort of the definition of war, isn't it?

I think back sooo many times...like every single day, a hundred times...and think "if we'd only done this" Rich would still be here. If I hadn't decided to do that test in that particular airplane, Richard would be alive. If I hadn't been so cocky and ready to fly anything and always looking for flight time, Richard would be alive. Maybe if Richard had been flying he would have done different tests that day, and he'd be alive. Fuck.
27-09-2016, 10:55 AM
(27-09-2016 09:17 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Nobody commented on my pictures. Aren't those planes gorgeous? The F-5 is ooold tech, no doubt about it, but damn...what a beautiful bird. You WEAR that airplane, you really do. I looked into buying one, they're cheap- you can get an E for about $175,000 now. But the cost of fuel, maintenance, parts...damn. I need to hit the powerball. twice. Sad

Cool pictures. It must be a mad buzz to fly those machines. When I lived in the Netherlands I used to enjoy watching F16's flying over. The best one I saw was a flyby with two F16's and a Spitfire followed by an old B25 - Mitchell bomber. I also saw a display by a Canadian Airforce F18. The guy was nuts and scared the shit out of the crowd.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
27-09-2016, 04:45 PM
(27-09-2016 10:55 AM)Marozz Wrote:  
(27-09-2016 09:17 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Nobody commented on my pictures. Aren't those planes gorgeous? The F-5 is ooold tech, no doubt about it, but damn...what a beautiful bird. You WEAR that airplane, you really do. I looked into buying one, they're cheap- you can get an E for about $175,000 now. But the cost of fuel, maintenance, parts...damn. I need to hit the powerball. twice. Sad

Cool pictures. It must be a mad buzz to fly those machines. When I lived in the Netherlands I used to enjoy watching F16's flying over. The best one I saw was a flyby with two F16's and a Spitfire followed by an old B25 - Mitchell bomber. I also saw a display by a Canadian Airforce F18. The guy was nuts and scared the shit out of the crowd.

It's the absolute best thing in the world. You feel like you are a superhero, I guess, in a way...faster than a speeding bullet- alot faster, actually, than most bullets. Able to leap tall buildings...well yeah, and then some....stronger than a locomotive...I dunno about stronger, but I can blow one to hell, make metal confetti out of it.

You're in a machine that can bring the apocalypse, you can ride it to the edge of space if you want to...you ARE shock and awe, all by yourself. There's nothing in the sky that you can't beat, or protect. I still can't believe the government trusted ME with all of that power. If they knew some of the stuff I did as a teenager...GaspBlush

Too late, they can't take it back now. Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like The Dark One's post
27-09-2016, 04:58 PM
I usually stay out of this forum, because I just have no words for stuff like this. Make whatever decision you have to make, and may it turn out well. I hope you'll be with us for a long time, because you're a good guy. Whatever happens, though, you have lived a richer life than a lot of people (me included -- my life is downright boring next to yours).
27-09-2016, 06:51 PM
(27-09-2016 10:21 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Thanks, RS...I hope I contribute something. I try to. Something besides an opposing political view most people here find abhorrent, anyway. Big Grin

I dunno about that. You seem like a reasonable, thoughtful conservative. I wish there were many more like that, on your side of the aisle.

(27-09-2016 10:21 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I'm uncomfortable with the "thank you for your service" thing, always have been...but the thought is appreciated.

You don't have to answer, but if I may ask... why does it make you uncomfortable?

Whatever your motivations were, you volunteered to place your mortal body in danger on behalf of my country, either in its defense or in defense of its interests (whether or not the politicians who determine those "interests" are scumbags who should be tried for war crimes is another matter, entirely), so that I can go about my daily life without fear of some other country or group deciding it wants to alter or end my life to pursue its own self-interests. So I am always sure to say thank you-- especially when that service resulted in injury, either mental or physical. Or both.

(27-09-2016 10:21 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I wonder if I'd feel better about all of this if I had been injured in combat. I think about that alot...I just don't know. Our accident seems so stupid and random, but then, that's sort of the definition of war, isn't it?

You're right about that-- the injuries in combat are no less stupid or random. When I got to USAFA in 1994, I remember reading with interest the fact that we lost the same number of planes in 1991 that we did in 1989 and 1990.

The fact that there were no enemies present is irrelevant. Every time you went up in that plane to train for the real thing, it was placing yourself in danger... only the type of danger changed, depending on the environment. You do what you can to ameliorate that danger, but any pilot (or motorcycle racer, or anyone else who "pushes the envelope" in powerful machines) will tell you that no matter how careful you are, no matter how much you try to pay 100% attention 100% of the time, stuff will always slip by and bite you.

(27-09-2016 10:21 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I think back sooo many times...like every single day, a hundred times...and think "if we'd only done this" Rich would still be here. If I hadn't decided to do that test in that particular airplane, Richard would be alive. If I hadn't been so cocky and ready to fly anything and always looking for flight time, Richard would be alive. Maybe if Richard had been flying he would have done different tests that day, and he'd be alive. Fuck.

Survivor's Guilt is a motherfucker, man, no way around it. But you can take the "what if" game clear back to the day you were born... what if you never joined up? What if you decided you preferred helicopters? What if the crew chief was sick that day? What if you'd gone into politics instead of aviation?

If you hadn't been "so cocky and ready to fly anything and always looking for the flight line", you'd have been a pretty unique type of fighter pilot. I've never met one that was any other way.

You both knew the risks. You both did your jobs. And you know damned well that if you'd have been killed instead of Richard, flying backseat with him in the front, he'd be torn up asking what he could have done differently. But there's nothing he could have done, and you wouldn't want him consumed by guilt over the loss of you, would you? You'd want him to know that you went out doing what you loved.

Well so did he.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-09-2016, 07:13 PM
(27-09-2016 10:21 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:Just stick around as long as you can, eh? You've quickly become a great voice in this community.

Waiting for my ride to the doc, too many opiates in my blood to drive, I think.

Thanks, RS...I hope I contribute something. I try to. Something besides an opposing political view most people here find abhorrent, anyway. Big Grin

I'm uncomfortable with the "thank you for your service" thing, always have been...but the thought is appreciated.

I wonder if I'd feel better about all of this if I had been injured in combat. I think about that alot...I just don't know. Our accident seems so stupid and random, but then, that's sort of the definition of war, isn't it?

I think back sooo many times...like every single day, a hundred times...and think "if we'd only done this" Rich would still be here. If I hadn't decided to do that test in that particular airplane, Richard would be alive. If I hadn't been so cocky and ready to fly anything and always looking for flight time, Richard would be alive. Maybe if Richard had been flying he would have done different tests that day, and he'd be alive. Fuck.

Shit happens, that's all there is to it. What if...you hadn't been able to fly that day, and got run over by the rescue vehicles headed out where that plane augured in, and your leg got jacked (plus pick more injuries)? I did 4 years in the US Navy, Viet Nam era...which means I never made it to Viet Nam, though it was a going enterprise when I joined in '72. People thank me for my service, but I spent more time fighting with other service members than I did the enemy (I didn't pick the fights, BTW). I joined the Navy to see the world, and never made it overseas, despite (or more likely, because of) being on 3 different ships in those 4 years.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post