Here goes...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2016, 12:15 AM
RE: Here goes...
Quote:What if you're the granddad who gets pestered to come to school for show-and-tell on account of your cool cybernetic parts?

Now, that might work for me except for one thing. While my life has been pretty good, I won't deny that, I still remember, very clearly, July 20, 1969. I watched the events of that day unfold, and was absolutely CERTAIN that I would have career paths open to me as an adult, that, sadly, do not exist even today. After that letdown, I just can't count on cybernetics picking up the slack and taking me for a ride aeronautics failed at, metaphorically speaking. I did want to be in the first air force space fighter squadron, yes, but I also dreamed of being Colonel Steve Austin, and if one let me down...

6,000,000...wouldn't cover the titanium alloys for my skeleton alone. idiots.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
29-09-2016, 12:39 AM
(28-09-2016 11:49 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Yeah...I think that stuff all sounds right, and that its what I need to do, just power through, you know? I really come close to telling my wife I think I have come to a decision...and then I go look at the websites on disarticulation again.

See, initially, I wanted this to be a joint decision, between my wife and I. She thought that was sweet. She doesn't have much experience with shitty decisions, there's nothing sweet about it...she researched disarticulation and came to me in tears. She said there was no way she could be a part of this decision, but that she would respect whatever I decided. If I decided to have the surgery she would take care of me, etc. She just couldn't be a part of that decision process.

Pain isn't the problem- hell, I live with a crap ton of pain now. Zohydro and some norco for breakthrough and I'm right as rain. I'm on enough opiates to drop a normal person in their tracks, probably forever, but if you take em for pain you don't get addicted or high, so I function fine. But as these infections stop responding to the antibiotics...and this last round was close, I wasn't sure I was going to make it out of there...disarticulation looks like the only way to survive, maybe survive, that is. But even if I live through the surgery- and they have to successfully tie off several major arteries- living without a hip or leg sucks. Its really hard on the structure of your body- you can't even sit, anymore. They say small, light weight, petite people have an easier time, but it's still considered 100 times harder than just a leg amputation. I'm 6', 235 pounds, 7% body fat. I have never in my life been called petite. Figures. I guess I could be 6'4.

It's a tough decision. I won't be flip. What I suffer (AVN in my right hip) is only amenable by hip replacement -- but that's not losing the joint altogether.

Me, I reckon anything trying to kill me is my enemy. And yeah, if it's my hip joint, lop the SoB off. But that's just me.

One metalhead to another --

[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
29-09-2016, 06:33 AM
(28-09-2016 11:49 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  See, initially, I wanted this to be a joint decision, between my wife and I.

I try to use humor when facing tough things, so I had a brief giggle when I read "joint decision". Confused

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
29-09-2016, 11:20 AM
I can't say what another person should do - especially when live or die becomes such a gray area.

I know it's just a bunch of what ifs & would yous but ...
What would you have done if you had awakened from the accident to find you had already had this surgery? Would you be pissed off? Would you be happy to just be alive? Is there a chance you would you still be in the same amount of pain or worse?

Be alive while you can. That's really the only advice I would ever try to give anyone under any circumstance.

Sounds like you've done a lot of being alive. Wink

If you are pressed to make a decision, Dark One... I hope you get more of being alive.
Heart

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
29-09-2016, 03:35 PM
(29-09-2016 12:15 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:What if you're the granddad who gets pestered to come to school for show-and-tell on account of your cool cybernetic parts?

Now, that might work for me except for one thing. While my life has been pretty good, I won't deny that, I still remember, very clearly, July 20, 1969. I watched the events of that day unfold, and was absolutely CERTAIN that I would have career paths open to me as an adult, that, sadly, do not exist even today.

Like I said, the future is never what we expect. I love reading the old sci-fi from that era. Stalwart spacemen pilotting nuclear rockets by sliderule. Even the experts missed what the future held.

I agree that cybernetics seem an unlikely option. Perhaps they'll simply clone you a set of legs. Or maybe they'll figure that legs are for menial ground-pounders and simply wire your carcass straight into one of those planes. Those seem unlikely too. My bet is on something so odd that we don't have a proper name for it yet.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-09-2016, 05:37 PM
This has been on my mind for days and I just can't come up with a response nor can I just ignore the situation.

I am terribly sorry to hear that you are in such a crappy place healthwise. It's a tough one. Removal of an appendix or gall bladder is one thing, you can pretty much do okay without those but removal of a limb something else altogether.

Seven years ago today I was given my diagnosis of breast cancer. It staggered me for a moment but I just told them to remove both breasts. Here I am...no chemo or radiation, just got rid of the affected parts. But losing my breasts was different from losing a limb though not without issues. I have been mulling what a decision like yours must be like.

Only you can decide how much more you can take and how much quality of life you will have depending on which choice you make.

My thoughts are with you...I wish I knew the answer but only you can decide what's right for you.

It's all I got. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
29-09-2016, 07:00 PM
I'm glad you found a place to talk about it here. It's not an easy thing to talk about with people.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
30-09-2016, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2016 04:20 PM by Leerob.)
I told you this before, but I will say it again in a rephrased way (yay)

If you have a 75% chance of surviving the surgery VS a 100% chance of dieing from the infection, the math isn't difficult for me. You are a fighter, you have been for a long time, you can get through this. I know if it were me I would try for sure. If the 25% hit me then nothing was lost, if the 75% do, I would be the happiest person.

Also about no walking, sitting etc. You silly? I put "hip disarticulation" in the youtube search, guess what I found! A quite fit lady, walking a round with her cool cyber leg!

And here an even better cyber leg

This second guy has a channel pretty much showing how he lives that way, with the hip disarticulation and the leg etc.
https://www.youtube.com/user/chajabalk

It's hard, the rehabilitation and the fight to be mobile again etc. But I am very sure that you can do it. But in that case, you should probably not wait until the next horrible infection hits.
You want to be a grand dad. Guess how amazed those grandkids will be at grandpa with the cyberleg! They won't see a weird guy with a missing leg. They will see grandpa who tells the best stories, who loves me, and who plays the best songs on the guitar, etc...

Blorp Wink

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 8 users Like Leerob's post
02-10-2016, 12:15 AM
Yeah, that one is by far the best one that I have seen, by a long, long ways. Of course, this one costs $140,000 plus upgrades and replacements, and that doesn't include the oil changes and tune up, but it does come with one a/c test and refill if necessary...
02-10-2016, 01:11 AM
What impresses me most is how relaxed this young guy seems to be about his whole situation as an amputee.

Dont tell me a kickass F15 top gun fighter pilot cant do what a silly young student can do! Big Grin Cool

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post