Here is a question I have been pondering for a while

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Here is a question I have been pondering for a while
So let's say you die and it turns out god is real. God offers you a deal, and you have 2 choices;

1. You get to enter heaven, and live in complete and utter bliss and happiness for 400 trillion years. That's right, 400,000,000,000,000 years of everything you could want. You could live in a glorious mansion, meet all your past relatives, spend every single day doing what you love and being happy, for an incredible amount of time.

However,

Once your 400 trillion years are up, and one day they will run out, you must spent the rest of eternity being tortured in hell. Imagine having your eyes gouged out, your limbs ripped from their sockets, or your head being crushed in a vice. Only for you to be put back together and having the same thing repeated over and over and over.

2. You conscience simply fades away and your return to where you were before you were born.

When I first asked myself this, I was immediately going for option 2. I was thinking, no matter how long I am in heaven, it doesn't matter if the amount of time I had was so long that if you wrote it down on a piece of paper, it would stretch the length of the universe, one day it will end. And once I end up in hell, 400 trillion years isn't even the beginning of eternity. But then I starting thinking about it some more. 400 trillion years is an absolutely incomprehensible amount of time. Our universe has been around for 13 billion years, and even that crazy amount of time isn't even a fraction of 400 trillion. So to be able to live in complete bliss for such a long time would seem like an offer you simply could not refuse. It is so long it could never end. And remember, I'm not talking about living for 400 trillion years, but being extremely happy. Maybe you could have a heroin rush that never ends, or eat a delicious dinner where you never get full, whatever is you could possibly imagine. But then option 2 comes to mind again, one day it will end.

Since a lot of you are atheists here, you may jump to option 2 because all the time that passed by before you existed was completely fine. But when you really think about what you could have if you choose option 1, it really makes you think again. I keep going through a cycle of "nope definitely go for oblivion, it really isn't that bad and I don't feel like hell", but then I think, "but 400 trillion years is so long, and I could have everything I want, it would be such a long time it would never end!". And then I think, one day it will end, and I am back to square one again.

I'm interested to hear what you people would chose. Think about for a minute before you post anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Magoo's post
09-11-2014, 01:14 PM
RE: Here is a question I have been pondering for a while
Does the "everything I could ever want" include an army to overthrow the evil psychopath who was in charge? Otherwise to hell with that idea.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 4 users Like Elder Cunningham's post
09-11-2014, 01:16 PM
(09-11-2014 01:14 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  Does the "everything I could ever want" include an army to overthrow the evil psychopath who was in charge? Otherwise to hell with that idea.

Forget about god or what happened on earth. There doesn't have to be a god to give you choices, maybe when you die you are simply shown a piece of paper with options 1 and 2 and you tick a box.

Just the focus on the choices, that is what is important here.
09-11-2014, 01:21 PM
If I retained just half my mental capacities I'm not sure I could even stand to live 400 trillion years... Not even on a drug rush (maybe especially not on a drug rush).

Also, being tortured for eternity sounds horrible... So I would probably go for option two.

Some afterlives are kinda neat, but not really this one...
09-11-2014, 01:23 PM
400 trillion years is but a blink of an eye when compared to eternity.

Option 2. No question.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
09-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Why do you presume the dimension of time would be operant ?
LOL Magoo.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-11-2014, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 01:31 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-11-2014 01:11 PM)Magoo Wrote:  1. You get to enter heaven, and live in complete and utter bliss and happiness for 400 trillion years. That's right, 400,000,000,000,000 years of everything you could want. You could live in a glorious mansion, meet all your past relatives, spend every single day doing what you love and being happy, for an incredible amount of time.

How are my bowels during that period? Are they regular? 'Cause that's an important consideration.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Basically the choices you are offering are
1. An eternity of torture with some memories of the good times you had in heaven

2. Unconsciousness.

Since I was unconscious before I was born, I'll pick option 2.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
09-11-2014, 01:35 PM
(09-11-2014 01:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Why do you presume the dimension of time would be operant ?
LOL Magoo.

Why do I presume what?
09-11-2014, 01:36 PM
This whole scenario makes think of some twisted christian mindset in which anything good in your life must come with a lot of suffering.

Like a battered woman who is abused all year long, but feels incredible joy when her husband does one nice thing for her.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post