Here is a question I have been pondering for a while

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2014, 01:37 PM
RE: Here is a question I have been pondering for a while
(09-11-2014 01:21 PM)Gaest Wrote:  If I retained just half my mental capacities I'm not sure I could even stand to live 400 trillion years... Not even on a drug rush (maybe especially not on a drug rush).

Also, being tortured for eternity sounds horrible... So I would probably go for option two.

Some afterlives are kinda neat, but not really this one...

I was just giving examples. You could stand to live 400 trillion years, because you could wish away any problems.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2014, 01:44 PM
I'll take Option C, there's always an Option C

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-11-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm goin with option one because when I go to Hell I'll walk up to the Devil, kick him square in the nuts and say "I'm in charge here bitch."
09-11-2014, 02:06 PM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
09-11-2014, 02:10 PM
(09-11-2014 01:35 PM)Magoo Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 01:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Why do you presume the dimension of time would be operant ?
LOL Magoo.

Why do I presume what?

Eternity is timelessness, not endless time.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-11-2014, 02:33 PM
(09-11-2014 01:11 PM)Magoo Wrote:  So let's say you die and it turns out god is real. God offers you a deal, and you have 2 choices;

1. You get to enter heaven, and live in complete and utter bliss and happiness for 400 trillion years. That's right, 400,000,000,000,000 years of everything you could want. You could live in a glorious mansion, meet all your past relatives, spend every single day doing what you love and being happy, for an incredible amount of time.

However,

Once your 400 trillion years are up, and one day they will run out, you must spent the rest of eternity being tortured in hell. Imagine having your eyes gouged out, your limbs ripped from their sockets, or your head being crushed in a vice. Only for you to be put back together and having the same thing repeated over and over and over.

2. You conscience simply fades away and your return to where you were before you were born.

When I first asked myself this, I was immediately going for option 2. I was thinking, no matter how long I am in heaven, it doesn't matter if the amount of time I had was so long that if you wrote it down on a piece of paper, it would stretch the length of the universe, one day it will end. And once I end up in hell, 400 trillion years isn't even the beginning of eternity. But then I starting thinking about it some more. 400 trillion years is an absolutely incomprehensible amount of time. Our universe has been around for 13 billion years, and even that crazy amount of time isn't even a fraction of 400 trillion. So to be able to live in complete bliss for such a long time would seem like an offer you simply could not refuse. It is so long it could never end. And remember, I'm not talking about living for 400 trillion years, but being extremely happy. Maybe you could have a heroin rush that never ends, or eat a delicious dinner where you never get full, whatever is you could possibly imagine. But then option 2 comes to mind again, one day it will end.

Since a lot of you are atheists here, you may jump to option 2 because all the time that passed by before you existed was completely fine. But when you really think about what you could have if you choose option 1, it really makes you think again. I keep going through a cycle of "nope definitely go for oblivion, it really isn't that bad and I don't feel like hell", but then I think, "but 400 trillion years is so long, and I could have everything I want, it would be such a long time it would never end!". And then I think, one day it will end, and I am back to square one again.

I'm interested to hear what you people would chose. Think about for a minute before you post anything.

I think I'd just about have to go for #2.

Being forced to meet my past relatives would be torturous in and of itself! My Unlife would be stuck on Giftmas afternoon for 400 trillion years!

And if I just left them or never bother and went on with my own stuff I'd just probably end up wasting all those years laying on a Heaven Sofa™ playing Heaven games or napping, because that's all I do now anyway.

#2 is far simpler and involves so much less hassle!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-11-2014, 02:37 PM
(09-11-2014 02:33 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  And if I just left them or never bother and went on with my own stuff I'd just probably end up wasting all those years laying on a Heaven Sofa™ playing Heaven games or napping, because that's all I do now anyway.

#2 is far simpler and involves so much less hassle!

Dude, think about it. RTS LAN parties for 400 trillion years. Big Grin

But I was wondering: what is the purpose of this poll? Some users have chosen, now what? Tongue Did you just want to see what the responses would be without an analysis or something of that sort?

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
09-11-2014, 02:48 PM
If my relatives would be involved in #1, I'm definitely going for #2.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
09-11-2014, 02:59 PM
I would use the 400 trillion years to amass power to overthrow the lunatic that is in charge and take over.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
09-11-2014, 03:19 PM
(09-11-2014 01:11 PM)Magoo Wrote:  That's right, 400,000,000,000,000 years of everything you could want.

Does "everything you could want" include the ability to have endless extensions to the 400 trillion years? Smartass

Option 2. I don't really want to live for 400 trillion years anyway and certainly not for eternity. And I especially don't want to spend any time in hell. On the other hand, there is nothing bad about ceasing to exist. It's only the end of what's good replaced by nothing at all. That I can take (because I'll never know it anyway).

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.