Here is my argument against atheism if you're interested at all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2014, 06:04 PM
RE: Here is my argument against atheism if you're interested at all
(26-12-2014 06:00 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 05:45 PM)Free Wrote:  ....bunch of evasive dodge and weave filler blah, blah, blah....

Please explain what you find confusing about using to explore the limits of reason. Thank you very much.

I know what you're trying to say, but could you rephrase it so that it makes grammatical sense (it still won't make sense, but at least it will be grammatically correct)? Hint: there's a word missing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2014, 06:09 PM
(26-12-2014 05:50 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Free, Free, Free... I am so disappoint. Haven't you been paying attention? Your chosen authority is reason, and you're supposed to challenge it with reason. Never mind that that doesn't make any sense -- he's only said it about 100 times.

If your reason is beyond challenge, then I guess that means you are capable of coming to a correct conclusion on all questions of any scale no matter what, right?

Hey guys, I've proven the existence of god!! It's been Grasshopper all along!!! Holy shit, who knew???
26-12-2014, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2014 06:16 PM by The Polyglot Atheist.)
(26-12-2014 04:55 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Are you open to the possibility that your human reasoning, human reasoning in general, may be unqualified to deliver any meaningful conclusion on the god question?

That's a loaded question. You assume that there is a supernatural level and that since we're only "natural" we cannot aspire to reach it or comprehend it with our brains. However there is no evidence that shows that such a level exists. What we know is the natural world, the universe, proving the existence of anything supernatural would be perhaps the most important discovery in history.

(26-12-2014 04:55 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Are you open to the possibility that should that prove to be true, your position along with most of the content on this forum will come tumbling down to the ground with a big thud, and you'll be left with nothing?

No. Even if you can show evidence for a God, what we have been saying still holds and still keeps being valid. We just choose to suspend belief in something that has failed to be proven. If you can prove a deity, any deity, that kind of reasoning is still valid for anything else, even after that.

I don't see why you expect the opposite to happen.

(26-12-2014 04:55 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Are you open to the possibility that until you prove the qualifications of your chosen authority you are a faith based believer no different than theists who operate from faith in their chosen authorities?

What is my chosen authority? Reason? Reason is not my authority, it's a tool I use to interpret the reality that surrounds me. My "faith" in reason is supported by the huge amount of goals we have achieved since the dawn of mankind. It's not a faith independent of evidence, it's a reasoned trust in something that has showed concrete results.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
26-12-2014, 06:11 PM
(26-12-2014 06:09 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 05:50 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Free, Free, Free... I am so disappoint. Haven't you been paying attention? Your chosen authority is reason, and you're supposed to challenge it with reason. Never mind that that doesn't make any sense -- he's only said it about 100 times.

If your reason is beyond challenge, then I guess that means you are capable of coming to a correct conclusion on all questions of any scale no matter what, right?

Hey guys, I've proven the existence of god!! It's been Grasshopper all along!!! Holy shit, who knew???

No, you've got the wrong "G". Girlyman is God. I'm just a young grasshopper trying to figure out how to get that goddamn stone out of that guy's hand. If you don't get that reference, don't worry. Girlyman will post a video.
26-12-2014, 06:15 PM
(26-12-2014 06:04 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 05:58 PM)Free Wrote:  Yeah I know, he doesn't see the "circular reasoning" of using reason to challenge reason.

And your alternative to using reason to explore the limits of reason is what exactly?

Blind faith in the infinite power of human reason to answer any and all questions?

There's nothing the least bit circular or unusual about using our abilities to question the limits of our abilities. People do it all the time.

Only on forums like this is it a mysterious concept that has to be explained again and again and again...

You are asking people to use the very same thing of reason to challenge the effectiveness of reasoning.

That is not unlike asking someone to use a Twinkie Bar to challenge the taste of a Twinkie Bar.

If we are looking for a stronger smell than an orange, should we use another orange for the challenge?

You are using two of the same thing to challenge each other to produce a difference, and you see nothing wrong with that? Okay then ..

If I say that there must be 2 of you, because just one of you couldn't possibly be that retarded, should I expect you to confirm it with yourself, and then it would be the truth?

I see your point!

Drinking Beverage

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
26-12-2014, 06:17 PM
(26-12-2014 06:04 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I know what you're trying to say, but could you rephrase it so that it makes grammatical sense (it still won't make sense, but at least it will be grammatically correct)? Hint: there's a word missing.

Aha, thank you!

Please explain what you find confusing about using reason to explore the limits of reason.

Grasshopper, can we use reason alone to fall in love? If that was true, wouldn't logic obsessed programming nerds like me have all the hot girls? Is that the case? Um, no.

Do you now see how incredibly easy it is to demonstrate that reason can be really good for some jobs, and not qualified for others?

Do I really have to keep explaining this to you, and everybody else here, 55 million times?

Look, I know I'm a dickhead, so I agree you should yell at me for that. Go for it, no problem. Get your rejection fix that way.

But can you (and everybody else too) please stop making it necessary for me to explain the easiest things over and over and over again? It just clogs the thread with repetition, and bores the crap out of everybody, me included.
26-12-2014, 06:19 PM
(26-12-2014 06:17 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 06:04 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I know what you're trying to say, but could you rephrase it so that it makes grammatical sense (it still won't make sense, but at least it will be grammatically correct)? Hint: there's a word missing.

Aha, thank you!

Please explain what you find confusing about using reason to explore the limits of reason.

No, sorry, I would have to use reason to do that. I am as helpless here as a newborn babe.
26-12-2014, 06:21 PM
(26-12-2014 06:19 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  No, sorry, I would have to use reason to do that. I am as helpless here as a newborn babe.

Ok, I tried. Genetically incapable of grasping simplest points. Ignore list.
26-12-2014, 06:25 PM
(26-12-2014 06:21 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 06:19 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  No, sorry, I would have to use reason to do that. I am as helpless here as a newborn babe.

Ok, I tried. Genetically incapable of grasping simplest points. Ignore list.

Banana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorro
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
26-12-2014, 06:27 PM
(26-12-2014 06:25 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 06:21 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Ok, I tried. Genetically incapable of grasping simplest points. Ignore list.

Banana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorro

Fuck I envy you ...

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post