Here is my argument against atheism if you're interested at all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2014, 06:34 PM
RE: Here is my argument against atheism if you're interested at all
(26-12-2014 06:11 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  That's a loaded question. You assume that there is a supernatural level and that since we're only "natural" we cannot aspire to reach it or comprehend it with our brains.

No, sorry, I didn't say any of that, or assume any of that. You just made it up. Honest misunderstanding I guess.

Quote:However there is no evidence that shows that such a level exists.

I didn't propose such a level, I am not a theist, your anti-theist arguments are wasted on me.

Quote:No. Even if you can show evidence for a God, what we have been saying still holds and still keeps being valid.

I'm not interested in showing evidence for a god, and have never posted such evidence any here.

Quote:We just choose to suspend belief in something that has failed to be proven.

Reason's ability to deliver meaningful conclusions on the god question HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN. No one here has even attempted to do so.

You all believe in those qualifications on faith, and don't even realize what you're doing.

Sorry, becoming exasperated here, my bad.

Quote:If you can prove a deity, any deity, that kind of reasoning is still valid for anything else, even after that.

I've never suggested I have any interest whatsoever in proving any deities.

Quote:What is my chosen authority? Reason? Reason is not my authority, it's a tool I use to interpret the reality that surrounds me.

Sigh..... By "authority" I mean a tool or prodess you trust to deliver reliable answers.

Quote:My "faith" in reason is supported by the huge amount of goals we have achieved since the dawn of mankind.

Here's the exact evidence of the topic under discussion, the god question.

At the very beginning of religion, some people believed in god, and some did not. Thousands of years later, here's the situation.

Some people believe in god, and some do not.

See any change there?

No evidence of achievement whatsoever. Very clear evidence of doing the same thing over and over and over again, expecting that same thing will somehow lead to different results.

Quote:It's not a faith independent of evidence, it's a reasoned trust in something that has showed concrete results.

No evidence of concrete results on the god question, none whatsoever. Some believe, some do not, just like it's always been.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2014, 06:45 PM
(26-12-2014 06:34 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 06:11 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  That's a loaded question. You assume that there is a supernatural level and that since we're only "natural" we cannot aspire to reach it or comprehend it with our brains.

No, sorry, I didn't say any of that, or assume any of that. You just made it up. Honest misunderstanding I guess.

Quote:However there is no evidence that shows that such a level exists.

I didn't propose such a level, I am not a theist, your anti-theist arguments are wasted on me.

Quote:No. Even if you can show evidence for a God, what we have been saying still holds and still keeps being valid.

I'm not interested in showing evidence for a god, and have never posted such evidence any here.

Quote:We just choose to suspend belief in something that has failed to be proven.

Reason's ability to deliver meaningful conclusions on the god question HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN. No one here has even attempted to do so.

You all believe in those qualifications on faith, and don't even realize what you're doing.

Sorry, becoming exasperated here, my bad.

Quote:If you can prove a deity, any deity, that kind of reasoning is still valid for anything else, even after that.

I've never suggested I have any interest whatsoever in proving any deities.

Quote:What is my chosen authority? Reason? Reason is not my authority, it's a tool I use to interpret the reality that surrounds me.

Sigh..... By "authority" I mean a tool or prodess you trust to deliver reliable answers.

Quote:My "faith" in reason is supported by the huge amount of goals we have achieved since the dawn of mankind.

Here's the exact evidence of the topic under discussion, the god question.

At the very beginning of religion, some people believed in god, and some did not. Thousands of years later, here's the situation.

Some people believe in god, and some do not.

See any change there?

No evidence of achievement whatsoever. Very clear evidence of doing the same thing over and over and over again, expecting that same thing will somehow lead to different results.

Quote:It's not a faith independent of evidence, it's a reasoned trust in something that has showed concrete results.

No evidence of concrete results on the god question, none whatsoever. Some believe, some do not, just like it's always been.

The consensus on your reasoning abilities is that you are deficient to effectively reason. In fact, your deficiency does not permit you to see how inefficient your reasoning actually is.

This inefficient reasoning of yours has now crossed over into at least 3 threads, and derailed them from the original topic. You can't seem to understand how wrong your position is, and nobody here is able to help you to see it, including yourself.

I for one will decline further conversation with you as it only serves to further derail the topics, and encourages you to continue on with your intellectual inefficiency.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 4 users Like Free's post
26-12-2014, 07:30 PM
(26-12-2014 04:55 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Are you open to the possibility that your human reasoning, human reasoning in general, may be unqualified to deliver any meaningful conclusion on the god question?

How often do you have to be told that nobody finds your question to be meaningful or interesting before you try either asking it some other way or changing the subject?

I know, I know, yet another meaningless post that doesn't address your deeply insightful query.... Bowing Facepalm

I'm probably being ignored by now anyway so all I expect is Crickets followed soon by another thread derailed with this inane inquiry.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
26-12-2014, 08:08 PM
(26-12-2014 03:09 PM)Cthulhu Wrote:  Instead of being an atheist why not open your mind to the limitless possibilities of what could be possible?

Because that is an unreasonable thing to do.
26-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Re: Here is my argument against atheism if you're interested at all
Yet again, someone telling atheists how we think instead of asking.

Also, yet again, someone who assumes no atheist has ever looked into other religions before becoming an atheist.

Try again.
26-12-2014, 09:19 PM
(26-12-2014 04:55 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Are you open to the possibility that your human reasoning, human reasoning in general, may be unqualified to deliver any meaningful conclusion on the god question?

Just checking, but how many threads do you plan on hijacking with this? It's the same subject that you've been harping on since day 1 and it would have been polite to keep it all contained to that one thread. Instead there are now half a dozen of the damned things on at least four different sections of TTA.

Also, your "human reasoning is insufficient..." argument has been refuted. If you had any honesty whatsoever you would acknowledge that or at least change the topic.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
26-12-2014, 09:27 PM
(26-12-2014 09:19 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Also, your "human reasoning is insufficient..." argument has been refuted. If you had any honesty whatsoever you would acknowledge that or at least change the topic.

Or address the opposing argument rather than just restating his(?) premise.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
26-12-2014, 10:01 PM
(26-12-2014 04:55 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 03:40 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  We are open to any possibility.

Ok, let's find out if that is true.

Quote:I'm open to the idea of there being a God, however, until we find evidence for one, or we even understand "what" is a God, I see no reason to think that there is one.

Are you open to the possibility that your human reasoning, human reasoning in general, may be unqualified to deliver any meaningful conclusion on the god question?

Are you open to the possibility that should that prove to be true, your position along with most of the content on this forum will come tumbling down to the ground with a big thud, and you'll be left with nothing?

Are you open to the possibility that until you prove the qualifications of your chosen authority you are a faith based believer no different than theists who operate from faith in their chosen authorities?

All you've got to say is that having no proof of a belief system that you will undoubtedly force upon your offspring and therefore future generations, is A-OK with you. I'm not going to spend large chunks of my life concerned about the will of a supernatural creature who no matter how religions try to depict as merciful and real, refuses to show itself to everyone and cure the ails of the world. No ma'am!

Drinking Beverage
26-12-2014, 10:27 PM
I got a better Argument for Cthulu!

1. Belief in something is logical.
2. Belief is a choice you can turn on and off like a facet.
3. If someone tells you something or if it is written in a book, it is automatically true.
4. If 10 people tell you something and one person contradicts the many, that one person is automatically wrong.
5. Therefor, god...PAHHHHH!!!!!!

Try using that argument the next time you want to talk to us! I bet no one here ( including me, can debunk it!)

Not believing in a claim is more logical then believing in it without evidence. Of which, there is none for a universal creator. When someone makes a claim, the very first response to that claim is always disbelief until evidence can prove otherwise.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
26-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Why disbelieve any claims at all ?

You're advocating that someone should believe everything they read and hear, even if two things contradict each other. Believe them both is what you're saying.

In other words, believe everything is true.
Believe that opening your door will kill you.
Believe that drinking water is bad.
Believe that you are the stupidest person on the planet and also the smartest.

You're an idiot.
Believe it

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results