Here's to the state of Mississippi ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2014, 10:43 AM
RE: Here's to the state of Mississippi ...
(01-12-2014 10:37 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 10:07 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Facepalm great, you know which state is going to follow up with their own version....

If it weren't for the cold, I would look into moving to Canada. Life sounds much more pleasant there.

You could head North, like around Boston.

Still too cold. I'd have to buy gloves and earmuffs and a heavy coat. And shovel snow. What if my son developed a boston accent?!? Gasp

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 05:42 PM by Bucky Ball.)
It's unconstitutional to "establish a religion". That's what The Founders of the US ensured when they wrote the constitution. It's amazing that these pretentious pious fools don't even get what the United States is all about. They are fundamentally UNpatriotic in that respect. This is precisely what the US is NOT about, and what people came here from Europe to escape, and what countless heroic men and women gave their lives to protect us FROM.

"quintessentially Southern is "vague" (and meaningless), but we do get it that at least it means "Conferderate".

If it passes, it will be tossed out.
But thanks for playing Mississippi, and proving how uneducated you fools really are.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-12-2014, 11:03 AM
(01-12-2014 10:40 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 10:33 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  I was hoping patriotism.

"State's Rights"

A poor excuse to be unpatriotic.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
[+] 1 user Likes Res Publica's post
01-12-2014, 11:05 AM
(01-12-2014 10:43 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 10:37 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  You could head North, like around Boston.

Still too cold. I'd have to buy gloves and earmuffs and a heavy coat. And shovel snow. What if my son developed a boston accent?!? Gasp

Move to San Diego. "Like fer sure, man...that would be gnarly".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-12-2014, 02:45 PM
(01-12-2014 08:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  The text of a proposed state constitution amendment:
"The State of Mississippi hereby acknowledges the fact of her identity as a principally Christian and quintessentially Southern state, in terms of the majority of her population, character, culture, history, and heritage, from 1817 to the present; accordingly, the Holy Bible is acknowledged as a foremost source of her founding principles, inspiration, and virtues; and, accordingly, prayer is acknowledged as a respected, meaningful, and valuable custom of her citizens. The acknowledgments hereby secured shall not be construed to transgress either the national or the state Constitution’s Bill of Rights."

Ugh! This is what happens when people who should never have graduated high school mess in politics. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
01-12-2014, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 03:20 PM by pablo.)
(01-12-2014 10:32 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 09:38 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^But they said they weren't breaking any of the laws, as described in either of the Bills of Rights: That makes it OK. Duh.

You have to use the doublethink. Hold in your mind both these concepts and to not compare or question them; "The State of Mississippi hereby acknowledges the fact of her identity as a principally Christian and quintessentially Southern state, in terms of the majority of her population, character, culture, history, and heritage, from 1817 to the present; accordingly, the Holy Bible is acknowledged as a foremost source of her founding principles, inspiration, and virtues; and, accordingly, prayer is acknowledged as a respected, meaningful, and valuable custom of her citizens." and "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion".

And if the doublethink is too much for your tiny atheist brain then simply repeat "states' rights" over and over again until it all makes sense.

Speaking of tiny, there's the little part about how a majority doesn't get to do whatever they want simply because they're the majority.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
01-12-2014, 03:17 PM
(01-12-2014 10:43 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 10:37 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  You could head North, like around Boston.

Earmuffs to keep you warm? Does he know about this?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
01-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Re: RE: Here's to the state of Mississippi ...
(01-12-2014 10:07 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Facepalm great, you know which state is going to follow up with their own version....

If it weren't for the cold, I would look into moving to Canada. Life sounds much more pleasant there.

Nah, it's not as bad as it sounds. Hell, we only got 4 feet of snow the last year I lived there. Smile
01-12-2014, 05:31 PM
(01-12-2014 08:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  "The State of Mississippi hereby acknowledges the fact of her identity as a principally Christian and quintessentially Southern state, ..."

Seems legit. They are #6 in Christians per capita and dead last in education. Sounds quintessentially Southern to me. Correlation? I think not.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post