Heredity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2010, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2010 02:17 PM by Kikko.)
Heredity?
''Genes dont work in a way that 'that gene causes that thing and this gene causes this thing', they work in entitys. Genes which cause the thing A in my genotype, work differently in the genotype of someone else, or they dont work at all. When both parents give half of their genes, the new genotype is different from the 2 originals, so certain genes might not cause the same thing that they caused in the parents, because they're in a different enviroment.''

My possibly correct answer: the genotypes of the parents are so similar, that it's very probable that certain genes have the same effect in a slightly different enviroment.
I find it humiliating how much time it took from me to figure this out, and I did'nt use internet, just my brain. So there are two possibilities:
1. I suck at thinking.
2. It takes a while from someone else here to figure this out too, of course without using the internet or books.

Gimme your answer and I'll see if I'm right. I do'nt like being wrong.
Do I put the ' to the dont, like do'nt?

edit:FUDGE, I cant find a colour that matches the background...
edit2:Fudge it, this thread is useless, just tell me if I'm wrong or right.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2010, 03:50 PM
RE: Heredity?
What's the question?

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2010, 04:46 PM
*don't* is the proper way to type it.

Not sure what you're asking with regard to genes. Can you try to elaborate?

Ambulatory habitation detritus.
07-09-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm also a little lost about the question. Is that part of an anti-evolution argument, or is it just something that you read somewhere that doesn't make sense? I haven't ever heard that anywhere, granted I haven't taken too many genetic classes, but I know you receive whole chromosomes from your parents. You receive two genes for a traits, often times coding for a different trait, but only one, the dominate one, is shown. I'd like to fact check that statement.

Even if it is true, there has to be something to genetically offset it. If one parent is homozygous for blue eyes, and another is homozygous for brown, we don't see their children having green eyes. Children are like parents, and if someone is trying to argument against that, they are too far detached from reality. It could be that if the genotypes were significantly different, and they were still able to produce offspring, that the genes would code for something completely different, and it's our similar genotypes that prevent this, but I honestly don't know that to be fact. In fact, take everything I say with a grain of salt, cause I'm sure either. Take the quote with a grain of salt too, cause I'm not sure about that either.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
08-09-2010, 07:04 AM
It's a possible anti natural selection argument, if it can be called an argument. I've never heard it from anyone, but for some reason it came to my mind, and I'm pretty nervous about the possible creationist 'arguments' that I cant answer, because I'm going on a week long trip to Norwegian lapland. My travelling company will be a bus load of active christians -1 + me, and I'm pretty sure my father will at some point of the journey snitch about me not believing.

So, I'll try to elaborate.
The genes of humen and chimps are about 96% the same, but there are remarkable diffrences in the chimp fenotype, especially in the brains. It's not all because of the 4% difference in genes, but because of the same genes working differently in a different environment. The role of a gene can change if changes happen somewhere else in the genotype.
A certain gene can have the certain effect only in certain genetic combinations, but not in others. The genes causing a certain skin colour only work when they're a part of a certain kind of genotype. When all of the genotype is kept as standard, the genes causing the certain skin colour can be determined.
(Source: ''Evolution and human nature'' [''evoluutio ja ihmisluonto'' google does'nt know if it has been translated to english, and it probably wont be {and it is not a creationist book, I would never buy one}]).

So, my guess is, that the similarity of the parents genotypes solve the ''problem'', like there ever was a problem...Confused
As I said, this thread is pretty much useless, it's just amazing how much things clear up when one writes them.

Accept me or go to hell.
08-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Wow, good luck with that. And I'm glad you could figure it out, even if just by writing it.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
08-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Kikko

Science is not lessened by the slowest antelope in the herd. Just because you, as a layman, can't adequately answer a question on biological heredity does not mean that there is no known answer for it. Science is complex and real scientists tend to specialize in their field and will not all be able to answer complex questions in another field. If you asked Stephen Hawking to explain nuances in geological strata my guess is he couldn't come up with a complete answer, but his failure to do so does not negate the fossil record or the studies that prove the age of the Earth (I'm making up this example, for all I know Hawking's could answer a question on geology).

I wouldn't stress about your ability to answer a particular question. And, I wouldn't even stress if science can't answer a particular question. Every time science can't come up with a definitive answer you will get people who claim "well, there is God". The problem with that argument, and to paraphrase Richard Dawkins, as science explains more and more of the world and Universe we live in God has fewer and fewer hiding places.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Quote:Science is not lessened by the slowest antelope in the herd. Just because you, as a layman, can't adequately answer a question on biological heredity does not mean that there is no known answer for it. Science is complex and real scientists tend to specialize in their field and will not all be able to answer complex questions in another field.
I did'nt point this out myself because I thought I would'nt have to.

Accept me or go to hell.
08-09-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm still confused as to what the question was (I think the language barrier is coming into play here), but I'm glad you figured it out.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2010, 08:44 AM
(08-09-2010 08:20 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I'm still confused as to what the question was (I think the language barrier is coming into play here), but I'm glad you figured it out.

The question was ''am I right?''. Everything else was just thoughts.

Accept me or go to hell.