Heritage/Patriotism/Culture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2017, 12:44 PM
RE: Heritage/Patriotism/Culture
German, Russian, and Osage. 'Murican for short.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
09-06-2017, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2017 02:48 PM by dancefortwo.)
I'm closely related to General William T. Sherman who burned Atlanta in Gone With The Wind....well, in real life too. My father closely resembled him. Also related to Rodger Sherman who signed the Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation and the ole Constitution.

My great-great grandfather ran the Wells Fargo pony express line that ran around the Bay Area in San Francisco in the 1860's. He also ran a whore house on the side. Actually the whore house was above the Wells Fargo office. The lobby of the hotel served as the Wells Fargo office and the check in for the ladies.

My other great-great grandfather was the first public school administrator in the state of California, also in the San Francisco area and also around the 1860's. He would have terrible fights with school board members. If things got too heated he'd have them step outside and settle the dispute with a round of fisticuffs. When he came out west in the 1850's in a covered wagon the team of horses got away from him and he yanked on the reins so hard that it pulled his thumb 3/4 of the way off his hand. He got a needle and thread and sewed it back on. It never worked as well but it was still on his hand. Thumbsup

My grandfather on my mother's side, "Hickory" Davis, worked on the Panama canal. He spent the whole time half drunk on whiskey to keep the mosquitos from biting him. That was his theory anyway. It must have worked because he never got sick. I have some crazy relatives and funny heritage.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-06-2017, 08:08 AM
I'm Irish and very proud to be Irish. I also have great pride for the many people who died trying to get freedom for the "bit of dirt" I live on. My grandfather was Welsh and he was a British soldier. He died in 1943 fighting against the Germans in WW2. He was 23 years old and is buried under a bit of dirt called Tunisia. I'm very proud that he fought for his country. I suppose it does depend on when and where one is born and the different experiences one has in life.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
10-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Heritage - unavoidable unless you're an orphaned refugee.

Patriotism - a state of mind and a mind of state.

Culture - inescapable in that an individual is a component of it.

Heritage is the input, culture is the output and patriotism is an information filter.

Next?

Wink

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
10-06-2017, 08:54 AM
(09-06-2017 11:41 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 11:33 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I spent twenty years in the USN, including a total of 27 months of physical therapy.

So?

Not sure what the question is here.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2017, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2017 10:10 AM by GirlyMan.)
(09-06-2017 10:18 AM)Vera Wrote:  Patriotism is as fierce as a fever, pitiless as the grave, blind as a stone, and irrational as a headless hen. - Ambrose Bierce

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.– Samuel Johnson

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. – George Bernard Shaw

Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy. – George Bernard Shaw

Patriotism is an ephemeral motive that scarcely ever outlasts the particular threat to society that aroused it. – Denis Diderot

To me, it seems a dreadful indignity to have a soul controlled by geography. – George Santayana

Patriotism is the passion of fools and the most foolish of passions. – Arthur Schopenhauer

Patriotism corrupts history. – Goethe

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious - Oscar Wilde

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. - George Washington

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them! - Albert Einstein

It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind. - Voltaire

Patriotism is the religion of hell. - James Branch Cabell

Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first. - Charles de Gaulle

True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else. - Clarence Darrow

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn

Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons. - Bertrand Russell

The heights of popularity and patriotism are still the beaten road to power and tyranny. - David Hume

We do not consider patriotism desirable if it contradicts civilized behavior. - Friedrich Durrenmatt

And the apropos du jour -

Patriotism demands the ability to feel shame as much as to feel pride. - Anne-Marie Slaughter

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-06-2017, 10:16 AM
I see we're well into the hippy version of patriotism, as usual.
10-06-2017, 10:31 AM
(10-06-2017 10:16 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I see we're well into the hippy version of patriotism, as usual.

Hey old man, I was in the USN too. As a matter of fact, I've had the opportunity to swear an oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; So help me Bob." on 3 separate occasions. Still bound by the last one for at least a couple more years. Tongue

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-06-2017, 11:07 AM
(10-06-2017 10:31 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-06-2017 10:16 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I see we're well into the hippy version of patriotism, as usual.

Hey old man, I was in the USN too. As a matter of fact, I've had the opportunity to swear an oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; So help me Bob." on 3 separate occasions. Still bound by the last one for at least a couple more years. Tongue

Each group has words that only have one meaning. And that group also has words that they will defend as having multiple meanings. Just varies from group to group.

Like "liberty". To a squid it means something special. Especially if they're at Pattya Beach.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
10-06-2017, 11:23 AM
(10-06-2017 08:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Heritage - unavoidable unless you're an orphaned refugee.

Patriotism - a state of mind and a mind of state.

Culture - inescapable in that an individual is a component of it.

Heritage is the input, culture is the output and patriotism is an information filter.

Next?

Wink

I like that, but I would certify that:
Heritage is the input, culture is the output and patriotism;

is the love of, and desire to, protect the right to participate in the previous two.

You have to be odd to be #1.