[Image: george-carlin-national-pride-patriotism.jpg]

Bowing

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TheGulegon's post
10-06-2017, 11:33 AM
RE: Heritage/Patriotism/Culture
(10-06-2017 11:07 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(10-06-2017 10:31 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hey old man, I was in the USN too. As a matter of fact, I've had the opportunity to swear an oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; So help me Bob." on 3 separate occasions. Still bound by the last one for at least a couple more years. Tongue

Each group has words that only have one meaning. And that group also has words that they will defend as having multiple meanings. Just varies from group to group.

Like "liberty". To a squid it means something special. Especially if they're at Pattya Beach.

I woke up in the middle of Pacific Highway in full uniform but I was missing my uinderwear and wallet on liberty weekend in boot camp.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
10-06-2017, 12:44 PM
(10-06-2017 11:32 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  [Image: george-carlin-national-pride-patriotism.jpg]

Bowing

I like Carlin, but disagree with him on this. When I say I'm "proud" of my Irish heritage it's more about taking pride in my identity as a person and less about "oh look at me and my Irishness". Tongue Do I think "Oh I'm irish, I'm better than everyone else?" No, absolutely not. Do I think I attained it on my own? No, not at all, it's something I was born into. But my sense of pride comes from my Irish ancestors who survived the Great Famine, and fought like hell to come to the U.S. to make a better life for themselves and their descendants. That is what I take pride in.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
10-06-2017, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2017 03:20 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(09-06-2017 10:04 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Sorry if this is wrong place, I did think about posting this elsewhere, but hopefully we can keep things light-hearted for it to stay here!

SO, more of a random thing I had thought of today, but what are your thoughts on Culture/Heritage and what it means to be Patriotic?

Normally I associate Culture with those that have it, IE here in England we don't really have much to go on, compared to say India or China, other the fact the British stole most things many moons ago anyway. Thus I have nothing much to share other than random slang words, cups of tea and a large amount of pessimism that I use to "Keep calm and carry on".

However, this leads me into Heritage. What is your heritage? do you have anything you are particularly proud of OR anything you'd like to get away from?

For example: My family has seemingly always been based in England, as far back as we've looked anyway. Over the years the family has slowly degraded from the good to the bad, [3 generations back] a chef for royalty, [2 generations back] a soldier for the British Army, [1 generations back] a drug dealing criminal.....and then Me, a totally law abiding "normal" person who works in IT lol.

I'm proud of some things, but have worked hard to escape that previous generation, [My dad], and it's stigma that it's had on the family so far. Luckily that has mostly gone away and I have hope for my daughter. Generally as well, with so far the exception of myself, every generation has divorced and re-married at least once, so thats something I'm looking to break the streak on.

THEN, there is being Patriotic. Do you love your country? Would you die for it? Or is it just a land mass, like all land masses, that has a pretty flag and a theme song?

Anyway, discuss and do a thing Smile

[feel free to move if in the wrong area.]

I'm not sure I really have a culture. Growing up overseas in a Muslim land, I was exposed at an early age to ideas far afield those of my homeland -- Texas, for those who don't know. As a result, I don't adhere to any one culture, but rather, I see my cultural inheritance as an agglomeration of my varied experiences -- living in places as varied as California, Texas, Spain, and Iran.

My heritage is simple folk. The first college grad on my dad's side of the family was my cousin who graduated in 1980. I've gone beyond our simple roots in some ways -- an autodidact, while I dropped out of college, I kept up reading throughout my adult life with several specific and conscious areas of study. I also refuse to consume chewing tobacco. :shock:

In some ways I've gone along with the family's heritage, though. My family has a long history of national service, dating back to my great-uncle George Wolff, who got off the boat from Hamburg in Galveston, TX in 1905, only to reboard a ship in late 1917 to go fight for his new homeland. One grandfather died in combat in WWII; the other wasn't drafted because he worked in Vought's Dallas plant building Corsair and Kingfisher naval planes. My father was a Vietnam vet, as were two of his brothers, and my mother was on the team at Raytheon that helped design the Patriot missile system. When I enlisted in the USAF in 1989, I didn't do so because of my heritage, but it felt very natural because of it.

As for patriotism, I find it distasteful at best, normally distrustful, and at times downright obscene. I am not patriotic to this country, America, where I was born. I am deeply loyal to the principles ensconced in the Bill of Rights, and swore to defend both country and principle, with my life if need be. I don't know that this government is worth defending, but even though I'm 24 years a civilian, I would still fight and die for the freedoms we have left to enjoy. And I fight for them each day without picking up the gun, too.

I love my country, but not in the abstract. I love most of its people, who are funny, inventive, and sometimes shockingly naive; and I love the land itself, where I live. But the nation is only as good as its dedication to its founding principles, and it is those principles, and not the nation itself, which command my loyalty.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
10-06-2017, 03:20 PM
(10-06-2017 08:54 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 11:41 AM)Vera Wrote:  So?

Not sure what the question is here.

Not sure what the first response meant there Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2017, 03:59 PM
(10-06-2017 11:32 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  [Image: george-carlin-national-pride-patriotism.jpg]

Bowing

Nails my own point of view.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
10-06-2017, 04:08 PM
Looking to the original post...
They're all basic expressions and outgrowths of our innate tribalism, of sorting ourselves (and everything else) into groups.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, as it can be a driver to make things for your "group" better. Patriotism? Love your country. Help direct it into doing things to make it better and more respected. (Something we're decidedly slipping on, here in the US.) That and heritage tend to create a culture (or subculture,) possibly based on shared experience, to make a smaller group's lot better.

Like pretty much anything, it can be used for good or bad.

My little rambling blog. (More topical than this one, at least.)
10-06-2017, 09:50 PM
I don't give a shit about patriotism really, I care more about if someone's brain is working properly.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
11-06-2017, 07:08 AM
Patriotism: Strong reverence and devotion to (obsession with) a particular football team.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
11-06-2017, 07:09 AM
(10-06-2017 03:20 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(10-06-2017 08:54 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Not sure what the question is here.

Not sure what the first response meant there Drinking Beverage

You don't have to.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user