Heritage/Patriotism/Culture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2017, 08:29 PM
RE: Heritage/Patriotism/Culture
I have no Icelandic heritage... but I might fly their flag, anyway, since they're the only nation that reacted to the global cheating, scumbag bankers by sentencing them to jail.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-06-2017, 11:50 AM
(18-06-2017 08:29 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I have no Icelandic heritage... but I might fly their flag, anyway, since they're the only nation that reacted to the global cheating, scumbag bankers by sentencing them to jail.
Iceland beat England in football, the European Championship last 16..which is good enough for me..... Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
19-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Funniest thing I'd seen in a long time, Marozz. And right after Brexit, too. The comments were hilarious! Big Grin

[Image: 1467068115_394033_1467068238_album_grande.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
19-06-2017, 12:18 PM
From the time i drove south to Mexico to evade the letter inviting me to an all expense paid trip to Vietnam I have not liked the term patriotic.
[+] 3 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
19-06-2017, 12:22 PM
In addition to the patriotism as a USA citizen I also reject the idea that I should support Israel since my mother's people came from Germany before WW2 and are presumably Jewish by heritage and blood.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
19-06-2017, 02:08 PM
(09-06-2017 10:04 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Sorry if this is wrong place, I did think about posting this elsewhere, but hopefully we can keep things light-hearted for it to stay here!

SO, more of a random thing I had thought of today, but what are your thoughts on Culture/Heritage and what it means to be Patriotic?

Normally I associate Culture with those that have it, IE here in England we don't really have much to go on, compared to say India or China, other the fact the British stole most things many moons ago anyway. Thus I have nothing much to share other than random slang words, cups of tea and a large amount of pessimism that I use to "Keep calm and carry on".

However, this leads me into Heritage. What is your heritage? do you have anything you are particularly proud of OR anything you'd like to get away from?

For example: My family has seemingly always been based in England, as far back as we've looked anyway. Over the years the family has slowly degraded from the good to the bad, [3 generations back] a chef for royalty, [2 generations back] a soldier for the British Army, [1 generations back] a drug dealing criminal.....and then Me, a totally law abiding "normal" person who works in IT lol.

I'm proud of some things, but have worked hard to escape that previous generation, [My dad], and it's stigma that it's had on the family so far. Luckily that has mostly gone away and I have hope for my daughter. Generally as well, with so far the exception of myself, every generation has divorced and re-married at least once, so thats something I'm looking to break the streak on.

THEN, there is being Patriotic. Do you love your country? Would you die for it? Or is it just a land mass, like all land masses, that has a pretty flag and a theme song?

Anyway, discuss and do a thing Smile

[feel free to move if in the wrong area.]

Heritage may be useful in a medical diagnosis and assessment of health risks. I am often puzzled when people take pride in it. Even more puzzled because seemingly almost everybody takes pride in theirs.

Patriotism? I understand the need to recognize the benefits of the current configuration. It's knowing where your bread is buttered. To indulge in it beyond that is just as bad as, maybe worse than, religion.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
19-06-2017, 04:01 PM
(19-06-2017 02:08 PM)tomilay Wrote:  To indulge in it beyond that is just as bad as, maybe worse than, religion.

I disagree that religion is categorically bad.

Substitute "patriotism" for "religion":
"I view patriotism like I do most other cultural phenomena that can mobilize people and inspire certain actions and behavior: It's there, it's part of human society and what matters most is whether it moves individuals and societies in good or bad directions (open to subjective interpretations)."
19-06-2017, 04:03 PM
Knee-jerk reactions abound here.
19-06-2017, 04:46 PM
(19-06-2017 04:01 PM)Gaest Wrote:  
(19-06-2017 02:08 PM)tomilay Wrote:  To indulge in it beyond that is just as bad as, maybe worse than, religion.

I disagree that religion is categorically bad.

Substitute "patriotism" for "religion":
"I view patriotism like I do most other cultural phenomena that can mobilize people and inspire certain actions and behavior: It's there, it's part of human society and what matters most is whether it moves individuals and societies in good or bad directions (open to subjective interpretations)."

Okay. I meant no better than religion. Patriotism boils down to support for whatever configuration one finds themselves in. Beyond that, you are overdoing it.

You are Brazilian and Samba is the best thing since sliced bread. You are Turkish, and you know nobody else knows how make coffee. You are English, and you know the last world cup tournament was in 1966. You are American and you know the greatest sin is being unAmerican. These are the benign manifestations of patriotism.

It adds no value beyond the fact that it reminds you to take care of your shit. For example, it is rare for one to hear mention of Sputnik, Yuri Gagarin and the achievements of the Soviet Space program in general, in anything but ominous terms on mainstream US media. A pro-American slant in reporting the achievements suggests that these are not things to be celebrated but rather to be feared.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
19-06-2017, 05:28 PM
(19-06-2017 04:46 PM)tomilay Wrote:  You are Brazilian and Samba is the best thing since sliced bread.

Actually, farofa is, thank you very much! Dodgy

[Image: DSC07105.JPG]

Also, I think gaest is religious, that's what riled him up.

Oh, the stupefying irony of a "patriot" calling the refusal to define yourself (a.k.a. proudly beat your chest, belching the name of "your" country) by the geographical coincidence of one's birth a knee-jerk reaction Facepalm

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post