Heritage/Patriotism/Culture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2017, 05:40 AM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2017 05:59 AM by Deesse23.)
RE: Heritage/Patriotism/Culture
(20-06-2017 05:18 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(20-06-2017 04:58 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  1966? There was a tournament? The only football world cup tournaments that are documented in history are 1954, 1974, 1990 and 2014. Drinking Beverage

I don't know where Alesia is! No one knows where Alesia is!

But I do know where Cordoba is.

Krankl was doped. Laugh out load

Edit: According to Brazilians, Argentina as a whole doesnt exist.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
20-06-2017, 05:41 AM
(20-06-2017 05:37 AM)Gaest Wrote:  
(20-06-2017 05:26 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  There are no sikhs in Poland and free food in no way outweigh damage that religion is causing.

Unsupported claims aside: Now you have seen something good tied to religion?

No. I only read about something that could be good if it works like it is written. Seems that religion is still shit, cause you know, allegedly doing something good far, far away counts for nothing when other religion make all kinds of problem in different country.

Edit: Maybe should write catholicism instead of religion.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
20-06-2017, 05:50 AM
(19-06-2017 11:54 AM)Vera Wrote:  Funniest thing I'd seen in a long time, Marozz. And right after Brexit, too. The comments were hilarious! Big Grin

[Image: 1467068115_394033_1467068238_album_grande.jpg]

Brilliant!! Nice one! Big Grin

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
20-06-2017, 07:17 AM
(20-06-2017 05:41 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(20-06-2017 05:37 AM)Gaest Wrote:  Unsupported claims aside: Now you have seen something good tied to religion?

No. I only read about something that could be good if it works like it is written.

I have been to it a couple of times - one in Delhi and one i Kolkata - and it worked pretty much as it is written there.

Quote:Edit: Maybe should write catholicism instead of religion.

Fair enough. I'm not ready for that battle... yet Big Grin
20-06-2017, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2017 07:36 AM by DLJ.)
(20-06-2017 07:17 AM)Gaest Wrote:  
(20-06-2017 05:41 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  No. I only read about something that could be good if it works like it is written.

I have been to it a couple of times - one in Delhi and one i Kolkata - and it worked pretty much as it is written there.

I Still didn't see it.

(20-06-2017 07:17 AM)Gaest Wrote:  
(20-06-2017 05:41 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Edit: Maybe should write catholicism instead of religion.

Fair enough. I'm not ready for that battle... yet Big Grin

Not much of a battle when for example one stance in regard to abortion is mostly tied to religion and frequency of going to mass [CBOS 2016, Dopuszczalność aborcji
w różnych sytuacjach* (Permissibility of abortion in different situations)]
. Opposition to abortion alone (which as above links shows is tied heaviest to religion) means ungodly amount of suffering and that is only one thing in regard to which religious people (not all) force their taboos onto others.

*Document in Polish.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
20-06-2017, 07:39 AM
(20-06-2017 05:16 AM)Gaest Wrote:  This seems pretty good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langar_(Sikhism)

Imagine having to dig *this* deep to find even a sliver of good that the vileness that is religion has brought to the world? You know what, cupcake, as usual, it's people doing this, not a bunch of silly myths and beliefs.

And if people need made up stories in order to be good, it really doesn't reflect too well on them *or* their supposed creator, a.k.a., father figure for adults who insist on living as children, now, does it?
[Image: f39d52d8b27fa4d341000b8e039fd773.jpg]

(20-06-2017 05:40 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Edit: According to Brazilians, Argentina as a whole doesnt exist.

Pish *and* tosh! If Argentina doesn't exist where do they go on skiing holidays, answer me this? Dodgy

Why, here, of course! (I've heard they call it "Brasiloche" Laughat )

[Image: large.jpg]

(First - and only time - I've been in a revolving cafe. Blush Was nice and the view is ah-mazing!)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
20-06-2017, 07:41 AM
(19-06-2017 07:05 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(19-06-2017 07:01 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Better the pride that resides
in a citizen of the world
than the pride that divides
when a colorful rag is unfurled.

Damn, you beat me to it!

It's a lyric that always springs to mind in these sorts of discussions ... he nailed it on that one.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
20-06-2017, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2017 09:25 AM by Dark Light.)
I stand for good ideas. Where my parents, or theirs came from doesn't mean much practically. What you do is what matters. What impact you make matters. In that sense, no, it isn't particularly important that I am an American. However, the legacy of our founding fathers, to me, includes the ideas of classical liberalism. America was founded to be the first country to be based on individual liberty, freedom of expression, a wall of separation between church and state, freedom to criticize the government, and so on. Of that, I would say I am proud. We have made some mistakes, and too many have forgotten or abandoned the ideas of classical liberalism, and of that I am infuriated and worried about.

As for culture, I would say my particular culture, as a hillbilly, is a mixed bag. There are things that I value, and things I detest, so I try to keep the good, spread it as I can, and purge the bad. My culture includes a strong work ethic, self-reliance, good music, a skepticism of the government, determination, love and support of family and neighbors, but it also includes delicious food (that happens to kill you early), Christian fundamentalism, fear/mistrust of outsiders, lack of understanding for alternative ways of living, minimal formal education, and a tendency of group-think.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
20-06-2017, 12:57 PM
(20-06-2017 07:31 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(20-06-2017 07:17 AM)Gaest Wrote:  I have been to it a couple of times - one in Delhi and one i Kolkata - and it worked pretty much as it is written there.

I Still didn't see it.

Here are a few qoutes from a peer review paper based on field studies in India and Canada:

“Organizing a langar has always required attention to many details, in addition to adequate funds. [8] Gurdwaras require kitchens and an adjoining space for people to eat. In most larger gurdwaras, both inside and outside India, ordinary worshippers volunteer to prepare food daily, and the food is available all day long. In those with smaller congregations, langar follows the main weekly services.
(…)
Four core Sikh principles are enshrined in the langar: equality, hospitality, service, and charity. When asked about langar, Sikhs in both India and Canada most often cite equality as the core component. All those who eat sit in rows, side by side, Sikh and non-Sikh, rich and poor. Often, though not always in both India and Canada, men and women sit together, reinforcing this principle of equality, especially in situations where it is not common for men and women to be acting in this way in public. Moreover, langar food preparation is also usually open to all. In all the gurdwaras we have visited, as participant observers who self-identified as a non-Sikh couple, volunteers have welcomed our requests to help [Fig. 8], though they have typically been far more exuberant in encouraging us to partake of the food!”

Desjardins, Michel. Desjardins, Ellen. "Food that Builds Community: The Sikh Langar in Canada." Cuizine 1, no. 2 (2009): 0–0. DOI:10.7202/037851ar

Quote:Not much of a battle when for example one stance in regard to abortion is mostly tied to religion and frequency of going to mass [CBOS 2016, Dopuszczalność aborcji
w różnych sytuacjach* (Permissibility of abortion in different situations)]
. Opposition to abortion alone (which as above links shows is tied heaviest to religion) means ungodly amount of suffering and that is only one thing in regard to which religious people (not all) force their taboos onto others.

*Document in Polish.

I don't read Polish - and I won't repay the curtesy by throwing Danish papers at you - is it talking about religions in general or primarily in relation to Christianity?

And the "not all" is a bit too key to be reserved to parentheses, IMO.
20-06-2017, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2017 01:03 PM by Gaest.)
(20-06-2017 07:39 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(20-06-2017 05:16 AM)Gaest Wrote:  This seems pretty good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langar_(Sikhism)

Imagine having to dig *this* deep to find even a sliver of good that the vileness that is religion has brought to the world?

I am not digging deep: Sikhism is the ninth largest world religion and have communities and followers in quite a few countries.

Quote: You know what, cupcake, as usual, it's people doing this, not a bunch of silly myths and beliefs.

You're the cupcake here, Vera. If you had bothered to read through my posts you would know that I was talking about religion as a cultural phenomenon.

Edit: Also the Steven Weinberg quote is bullshit... Religions are far from the only things that can motivate "good" people to do "evil" things.