Heroes must be perfect(?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Heroes must be perfect(?)
On a similar vein to a conversation I posted a few days ago on the Civil War and Slavery, is our fascination with heroes in the American past. But we have a pretty clear problem with our heroes, we never talk ill of them. Their mistakes, contradictions, hypocrisy, doubt, cognitive dissonance, etc, are all ignored or glossed over. We have a bad tendency to try and always paint our heroes as perfect, which not only gives us an unfair representation of them, but it also makes them seem like they are an order or magnitude better than us, and that makes it hard for people to realize that they can do great things like their heroes did.

We also have a tendency to have no bad guys in American history. Even our bad guys were just misguided or "backed into a corner" or etc.

Here is a good example for one of my favorite founding fathers, Thomas Jefferson. Equality for all, except his slaves (and the only slaves he ever freed were his kids he had with his slaves).
[attachment=2822]

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
04-07-2015, 10:16 AM
RE: Heroes must be perfect(?)
I always heard Wyatt Earp was a huge douchehammer... Consider

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-07-2015, 10:56 AM
I hold Lincoln and Churchill as heroes. Both were brilliant at what they did, both were deeply flawed.

Sometimes I think greatness is simply the act of overcoming one's own flaws.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
04-07-2015, 11:15 AM
(04-07-2015 10:03 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  On a similar vein to a conversation I posted a few days ago on the Civil War and Slavery, is our fascination with heroes in the American past. But we have a pretty clear problem with our heroes, we never talk ill of them. Their mistakes, contradictions, hypocrisy, doubt, cognitive dissonance, etc, are all ignored or glossed over. We have a bad tendency to try and always paint our heroes as perfect, which not only gives us an unfair representation of them, but it also makes them seem like they are an order or magnitude better than us, and that makes it hard for people to realize that they can do great things like their heroes did.

We also have a tendency to have no bad guys in American history. Even our bad guys were just misguided or "backed into a corner" or etc.

Here is a good example for one of my favorite founding fathers, Thomas Jefferson. Equality for all, except his slaves (and the only slaves he ever freed were his kids he had with his slaves).

Wasn't Jefferson famous for his kitchen cabinet?

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
04-07-2015, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2015 04:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
My hero was executed by estrogen by England for the crime of buggery by buggerers too embarrassed to admit that they were all buggerers. They can never be forgiven. 40-50 years of genius lost.
[Image: turing_1.jpg]
I feel like buggering the entire country for denying the rest of us of a half century of genius.

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-07-2015, 03:26 PM
(04-07-2015 03:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My hero was executed by estrogen by England for buggery because they were so embarrassed that all them fucking Brits are buggerers. They can never be forgiven. 40-50 years of genius lost.
I feel like buggering the entire country for denying the rest of us of a half century of genius.

Yabut, Wyatt Earp and shit. Guns and ass whooopin'.
Merica. He's my hero, so he should be yours too.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-07-2015, 04:14 PM
(04-07-2015 03:26 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(04-07-2015 03:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My hero was executed by estrogen by England for buggery because they were so embarrassed that all them fucking Brits are buggerers. They can never be forgiven. 40-50 years of genius lost.

Yabut, Wyatt Earp and shit. Guns and ass whooopin'.
Merica. He's my hero, so he should be yours too.

I have used "I'm your huckleberry." effectively many times at work.

#sigh
04-07-2015, 04:28 PM

Don't you hold onto nothing too long.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-07-2015, 12:58 AM
(04-07-2015 04:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Don't you hold onto nothing too long.

Software bug is preventing me from liking this more than once.