Hey, All

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Hey, All
Welcome Smile I hope you find a sense of support and community in this forum like I did.
I actually came out to my parents just last night and thought I'd share my story with you...

I was raised a Chaldean Catholic in Australia, which is a denomination that stems from my parent's home country: Iraq. I realised God doesn't exist 3 weeks ago. The first person I came out to was my conservative Christian boyfriend. After 2 weeks of trying to work it out and understand each other, we decided to break up just the other day. That was absolutely fine for me. I'm happier than ever atm.
My story with my parents is much better, however. They are not dependent on my values as my boyfriend was. When I was coming out to them, I had to beat around the bush and address all the problems that people have with atheists. I had to discuss scientific reasoning and see if they understood that it is a process that comes to a conclusion that explains a part of the natural world beyond reasonable doubt. I also addressed other issues.

Luckily for me, my parents believe peace and love is the root of Christianity rather than anything in the Old Testament or anything their peers tell them. So, they were extremely peaceful with me and made sure to let me know they loved me. I really would prefer to do my own thing and not have to tell them, but since I am an active atheist and want to actually get involved in education and politics and start attending atheist meetings instead of church, I knew I had to let my parents know. If I wasn't so active, I wouldn't have told them. In the end, they believe it's a phase and that I will come to understand over a few months or years what they said they had come to understand. As much ask I begged to differ, they still think "my science studies have messed with my mind". But it's better than alternative outcomes, so I'm happy.

In your case, there is no reason to risk those important factors you mentioned and tell them. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I find Christians in the US to be much more radical and, a lot of the time, unreasonable. So if I were you, I would build a strong network of friends who could support and provide for me emotionally and possibly financially in the event that you need to tell your parents or they find out.

Wish you all the best with your coming out and hope you find this forum or like minded friends to offer support when you get anxious about keeping this all inside you.

Jess
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jessica1993's post
11-10-2014, 08:17 PM
RE: Hey, All
Welcome, fellow newbie!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply