Hey Dudes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2011, 01:34 AM

Hey Dudes
I've been lurking for awhile now and have finally decided to register.

Little about me, grew up in Oceanside, California. I was raised Protestant Christian and even private schooled by the same church. I was a devout Christian up until a few years after joining the military, where I started to really separate myself from the practice and church. Eventually, this lead to a lot of questions of my own and I found it increasingly difficult to get the answers I needed from the chaplains. It felt like everyone was beating around the bush or deflecting.
About 8 months ago, a buddy introduced me to Reddit and there I found the subreddit Atheism that had a lot information/posts I was looking for. Gears started turning and the deeper I dug, the more I became infatuated with the knowledge I was presented with. Four months later I denounced my religion and came out to everyone that I was an atheist. The feeling of the weight of having to be perfect for a god and even appeasing him being lifted off my shoulders was a nothing short of awesome.
Still dealing with the backlash of my family and friends, but it's not as painful as I imagined it to be. I'm actually enjoying it, my mind set is completely different. They talk about how they feel sorry for me, how judgement will come, I have been corrupted, and yada yada yada. But it is really them I feel sorry for.
But as I digress, there were many posts on Reddit linking to the Youtube videos from TheThinkingAtheist. I watched as many as I could with my bandwidth limitations while being deployed, 30 - 45 mins to load a 7 minute video. It all led me here, and here I am trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can, being a new atheist.
Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2011, 09:58 AM
RE: Hey Dudes
Good to have you aboard. I always find it funny to read peoples stories when they have come from a fairly religious background. They are all roughly the same minus some of the more serious important shit. Was religious, asked questions, failed to get answers from religious figures, looked elsewhere, found atheism was chock full of answers to difficult questions.
If only the religious figures in charge of recruitment and member care would see these stories they might try a little harder in the answers department. I mean they made up the first story why not keep going with it?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply