RE: Hey! I'm Hanna!
Also, Hannah, which part of LA?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2017, 02:38 AM
(24-11-2016 06:53 PM)Aractus Wrote:  
(18-11-2016 01:41 PM)hannaskywalker Wrote:  I am looking for ways to add to the conversation and find people who have had similar experiences because it's difficult being a woman and living around a lot of people who believe in God when I don't anymore.

Welcome Hanna. I'm not a mental health worker, but reading this blog post of yours I can't help but offer a couple of thoughts.

I am extremely disillusioned with and sceptical of almost anything in psychology. I don't say that lightly, there is so little really known about the causal nature of mental health issues that it does concern me. If you followed evidence-based practise for everything in that field, I don't see how many people would ever receive effective treatments beyond what they can get through other avenues.

That said I do know that some theories work really well, but it is something I worry about a lot. Here's a link to a video you might find interesting (I imagine given your background you may have seen it).

Actually, come to think of it you might find my own latest blog post on DrPhil/Shelly Duvall interesting. I'll make a thread about that shortly; but yeah it was quite appalling.

I just read your de-conversion story - thanks for sharing!

And again, welcome!

Aractus,
I've been thinking for a while on what you've said about psychotherapy. To be honest, I share some similar concerns. I'm not in practice right now. I really don't like psychotropic drugs, but that's not my profession, anyway. I really didn't like some parts of the DSM, like diagnosing based on subjective interpretations of behavior. I believe therapy works, though the research is not specific about how or why. I think creating a place for someone to talk about their issues that is safe and confidential is the greatest benefit of therapy, no matter what approach you take. Tell me more of what you think, if you'd like?

If the pope went to Zumba class, then he may be eligible to spend eternity in my special unicorn mountain kingdom. Cool
[+] 1 user Likes hannaskywalker's post
03-02-2017, 03:38 AM
G'day Hanna, and welcome to TTA. Smile

(BTW, as an aside) atheists don't "dare to question religious indoctrination". We reject it totally, as our singular distinction is that we don't believe in the existence of God, gods, or the paranormal. There's nothing of any substance in religion worth questioning; to do so runs the risk of granting it at least some degree of relevancy or implied legitimacy.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
03-02-2017, 04:00 AM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
03-02-2017, 09:07 AM
(03-02-2017 03:38 AM)SYZ Wrote:  G'day Hanna, and welcome to TTA. Smile

(BTW, as an aside) atheists don't "dare to question religious indoctrination". We reject it totally, as our singular distinction is that we don't believe in the existence of God, gods, or the paranormal. There's nothing of any substance in religion worth questioning; to do so runs the risk of granting it at least some degree of relevancy or implied legitimacy.

Nice! But wait... You don't think ancient goat herders have relevant insight for your life? What's wrong with you???? Thumbsup Hobo

If the pope went to Zumba class, then he may be eligible to spend eternity in my special unicorn mountain kingdom. Cool
[+] 1 user Likes hannaskywalker's post
03-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Hello, and welcome Hanna! We're glad you're here!