Hey I'm sam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey I'm sam
My name is sam (hence the username). Before I tell you my story, let me tell you that I like to keep certain sections of my life separate. For instance, I like to keep my friends and my social life at school and my family at home not necessarily because I think one would embarrass me in front of the other or that my family won't like my friends, but because I am used to seeing them in those locations, and it would be odd for me to see them elsewhere. Kind of like seeing your teacher at the store, ore your dad in a school desk.

Background

I went to catholic school for most of my school career. I can't remember if my pre school was catholic or not but I know I went to catholic school K-8th grade. My family went to church every week, which was conveniently attached to my school. You could walk through the front doors and out the back into the playground and classrooms. The church Is now a Gym and the Church rebuilt next door. When I was in 4th grade I moved to Iowa from california about a month before the housing market crashed. I went to a new school that was similar to my old one, except the church was next door, not attached, there was a Gym, and a cafeteria.

How I became an Atheist

Up until then I had been religious off and on. For a week or two I was religious and loved god, then the next few it was just boring, then i was faith filled, then I wasn't. When I started middle school we had mass during school hours in the gym every wednesday that everyone was required to attend even if you weren't catholic (but if your not catholic why send your kids to catholic school?). So now I was attending church 2 days a week on wednesday and sunday. I think that was when the teeter totter stopped on boring. Then puberty kicked in and I questioned everything including the one thing you are never allowed to question, god. I still remember "Thou shalt not put thy god to the test". So to find the answers to my questions I went to the internet. Now puberty had not eradicated my fear of god or the other beliefs i was raised with. But I wasn't getting any answers by kneeling next to my bed and talking to myself, so I told myself "hey, if you get in trouble with god tell him it's his fault for not answering". So I looked up stuff like evolution and stuff. After learning about different topics i decided that I didn't fully believe in catholicism anymore and my set of beliefs turned into a hybrid; and i left it at that for some time. Around 2 years ago I was starting to question god's existence, and from my previous research I knew there were people who believed in him and people who didn't. I still wanted god to be real, so when I started looking I was a bit bias. Then (believe it or not) I came across the thinking atheist on youtube. I forget what video i watched first, but mainly because there was a marathon after that. I watched a few videos and couldn't believe how much it made sense. After a few days of thinking and 2 days of a thinking atheist marathon i saw the story of Suzie. The story of Suzie got me to look at my beliefs from a different point of view and I realized that my beliefs (the catholic part) was stupid, not only that it made it look obviously stupid and it made me feel like an idiot for ever believing. So I had to ask myself one last time, Do I believe in god? And I said the obvious reply, NO. I don't believe in god, i don't believe in that stuff anymore. Then I thought "I am an atheist." and i was scared; then I said it and was filled with fear; but then I remembered the videos and everything I had learned, and I knew god couldn't be real. The next sunday I refused to go to church with my family, after a little arguing my parents took my sister to church without me. That night my mom came into my room and asked me why I refused to go to church that morning. I told her that i didn't think I believed anymore. She basically said "In a few things?" and I said "No, In god and religion in general." She asked me If I was sure and when I said yes we just sat there. After a while she said ok and said that she and my dad would love me no matter what I believe in. I said thanks and she left.

Life After Faith

My parents never tried to get me back into the church and convert me back. They never said that what I was doing and what I believed in was wrong. They stopped taking me to church and eventually stopped going themselves. My mom was the only one who enjoyed church. My dad and sister thought of It more as a chore and my mom didn't want to go alone so she didn't go either. I stopped praying at the table and eventually the rest of my family stopped too for whatever reason. Now my parents and my sister only pray when we have guests or family over. When i finished the 8th grade I insisted on going to a public high school. My parents were fine with it. So I entered my first day of high school stress free and for the first time in years I had a good first day of school (every other first day of school had been terrible). In catholic school, I only knew one kid who was jewish, everyone else was catholic. In public school I talk to and mingle with catholics, muslims, calvanists, and more. There's more diversity. I have more friends than I have ever had. My life is much less stressful. My life is better than it has ever been. The Thinking Atheist gave me the final push I needed to become an Atheist.

My subscription to the Thinking Atheist youtube channel let me to the podcast which led me to the site wich led me to the forum. So here I am.

"He who wishes to comprehend God with his mind becomes an atheist."
- Count Nikolaus Von Zinzendorf
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 11:08 PM
RE: Hey I'm sam
Hey Sam,
Thanks for sharing your story and welcome! There isn't much of a shallow end to the pool so feel free to dive right into the deep end!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
01-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Thank you for all the info. Welcome to TTA!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Also:

Quote:In public school I talk to and mingle with catholics, muslims, calvanists, and more.

We're out there... growing... festering... fear the evil Calvinists!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post