Hey Y'all!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Hey Y'all!
I feel so incredibly Southern starting off this introduction with a "hey y'all." As y'all can probably guess from my username and my use of "y'all" I'm from the South. Mississippi to be exact. I'm 17 years old and a senior in high school, and I have been struggling with my faith, or lack thereof since the third grade. In the 8th grade, I came to the conclusion that I was an agnostic atheist, but my mom eventually figured it out and there were tears and it just wan't pretty. Shortly thereafter, I returned to Christianity though it never felt right. Last year my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer (everything turned out fine. She had surgery and was good) and our good fortune with the situation turned me into a strong Christian. A few months ago, though, I came to the realization that I do not believe in God. No one knows. I decided to find this forum as a way for me to be able to talk to someone about my non-beliefs.

Living in Mississippi, just about everyone I know is Christian. All of my friends are, and they're prone to bashing atheism and agnosticism which makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable, but I can't do anything or else they will figure out my secret. I don't quite know how to handle these situations. My friends basically think that atheists are idiotic, immoral, hell-bound heathens. I love them to death, but I really wish I could count on them to be less judgmental.

My mom's side of the family is incredibly religious, which I don't hold against people. While I do get sad when I hear people mention their God because I believe they are wrong, I do respect other people's beliefs, and I have great respect for the commitment some people can show to their religion. I almost wish I could be at religious at times. It would sure make things easier. I'm not planning on "coming out" to my family for many years. Not until I can support myself and do not need any financial assistance from my family either in regards to education, food, housing, etc will I do it.

My dad is agnostic, but I haven't come to tell him yet. I don't know if I will because I don't want there to be a chance of him letting it slip to my mom. They're divorced, and I don't want him mentioning it maybe in the middle of an argument about their seemingly never-ending divorce.

I figured I might share some facts about me that don't have to do with my lack of religion so in no particular order:

1. My goal in life is to become a doctor, specifically an ER doctor, and leave the world a better place than it was when I entered it. How cliche.
2. Sometimes I can be funny. Usually this is not intentional.
3. I play clarinet and am first chair and section leader in my band. Music is one of my loves in life.
4. I also love language. I'm currently working on my fluency in Spanish and after I have achieved this, I plan on learning French and Italian. After that, who knows?
5. This love isn't exclusive to foreign languages. I love writing. I keep trying to write a novel, but every time I stop after a few chapters. One day, I'll make it to the end. Maybe.
6. I consider myself incredibly socially awkward. Even just making this post makes me nervous. When I don't know someone well, I'll talk about the must mundane things in an attempt to keep a conversation going. Once I get to know people though, I become much more comfortable around them and the awkwardness goes away. Well actually it stays, but I just sort of embrace it more. Some people say it's endearing. The jury is still out on that one.
7. Right about now I feel like I should make a joke, but I can't think of one. How's this one? What did the horse say when it fell into a hole? I've fallen and I can't giddy-up. No? Not good? Okay, moving right along.
8. I'm a nerd. As in I competed in math competitions in middle school. And won. One day this summer I decided to go ahead and do my Calculus summer work for fun. Because I missed math.

I kind of wish I could think of more things to add because 8 is a weird number to end that on. But there you go. 8 (well more like 7 since on is a joke) facts about me. I might be a little bit weird, but if i weren't I wouldn't be me. If anyone has maybe some advice for me on handling being a teen atheist in a very religious state and family that would be much appreciated. Okay, I think that's about it. I don't quite know how to end this though. Maybe a bye? I don't know . . .
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like southernbelle's post
13-08-2013, 10:30 PM
RE: Hey Y'all!
Welcome, SB Smile
Nice intro, hope you enjoy it here.
13-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Welcome to the forum. Hug
13-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Howdy, and welcome.

(13-08-2013 10:23 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  My friends basically think that atheists are idiotic, immoral, hell-bound heathens.

There's plenty here that's idiotic. Some of us may be immoral, but it usually passes.

If we're hell-bound, it is certainly due to our good intentions. Heathens? Yes.
Quote:1. My goal in life is to become a doctor, specifically an ER doctor, and leave the world a better place than it was when I entered it.

See? Good intentions. You'll fit right in. Thumbsup

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
13-08-2013, 11:17 PM
(13-08-2013 11:06 PM)I Am Wrote:  Howdy, and welcome.

(13-08-2013 10:23 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  My friends basically think that atheists are idiotic, immoral, hell-bound heathens.

There's plenty here that's idiotic. Some of us may be immoral, but it usually passes.

If we're hell-bound, it is certainly due to our good intentions. Heathens? Yes.
Quote:1. My goal in life is to become a doctor, specifically an ER doctor, and leave the world a better place than it was when I entered it.

See? Good intentions. You'll fit right in. Thumbsup

You'll find that you'll love a majority of us though. Blush
13-08-2013, 11:19 PM
(13-08-2013 11:17 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  You'll find that you'll love a majority of us though. Blush

You'll defo love me, I'm loved like a God (if you'll pardon the pun) round these parts.

Watch out for Ferdy though, she has aids. Drinking Beverage

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
13-08-2013, 11:48 PM
(13-08-2013 11:06 PM)I Am Wrote:  See? Good intentions. You'll fit right in. Thumbsup

That's what she said...

Welcome Smile
14-08-2013, 06:19 AM
Welcome aboard!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
14-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Welcome - good intro.

I hope you continue to pursue becoming a doctor.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-08-2013, 01:01 PM
(13-08-2013 11:19 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(13-08-2013 11:17 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  You'll find that you'll love a majority of us though. Blush

You'll defo love me, I'm loved like a God (if you'll pardon the pun) round these parts.

Watch out for Ferdy though, she has aids. Drinking Beverage

Don't flirt with him, he's fat. Big Grin