Hey, all!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2016, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2016 11:33 AM by philosopher.)
Lightbulb Hey, all!
I feel very fortunate to find this community. For quite some time I've been looking for a community of like-minded folks who can intelligently discuss topics, engage in lively debate, and occasionally throw around some kind-hearted banter. That's what I'm looking to contribute, at least. Thumbsup

I live in St. Louis (#1 most violent city in America, yay!). My wife and I are secular homeschoolers, so that makes us pretty unique. We're involved with the leadership of the "local chapter" of secular homeschoolers.

As my screen name indicates, I have a passion for Philosophy. Studied it in undergrad, studying it in grad, and I have several Philosophy-focused projects happening right now. AoE include Bioethics, Philosophy of Medicine, and 18th Century Philosophy. AoI include just about every other kind of Philosophy, lol. So expect to find me down in the Philosophy forum quite often.

I do other things, too, like work for a very large company managing their websites/web team, own an online and print literary journal, own a couple businesses (just got a cease and desist from a $55 billion company, yay!), and I'm a somewhat famous YouTuber, though not for atheism-related stuff. I also write, am a PC gamer, and play sports.

As far as atheism goes, I grew up going to Catholic schools but I never believed in any of it. The logic of it never made any sense, and never will. I have a couple atheism-related projects coming down the pike, one based around atheist parenting and one around the secular workplace. I'm also the owner/admin of the LinkedIn group Atheist Professionals. As far as atheist mentors go, I tend to agree most with Harris, Dawkins, and Dennett, I admire Hitchens' tenacity (but that's about it), and enjoy Russel's intellect. And of course Minchin's humor. Nothing too surprising there, I'm sure.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the welcomes, and I hope to make this community a priority in my very busy life!

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes philosopher's post
14-02-2016, 10:47 AM
RE: Hey, all!
Yup. Résumé accepted. You're in.

Welcome to TTA.

Smile

14-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Welcome Smile
14-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Hello and welcomeSmile
14-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Hello!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
14-02-2016, 11:20 AM
Hello! Big Grin
14-02-2016, 11:29 AM
(14-02-2016 10:39 AM)philosopher Wrote:  I feel very fortunate to find this community. For quite some time I've been looking for a community of like-minded folks who can intelligently discuss topics, engage in lively debate, and occasionally throw around some kind-hearted banter.

Sorry, dude, ya took a wrong turn somewhere. We're all unintelligent, evil; and this is serious business. Evil_monster

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Howdy, philosopher! Smile

I'm from the other side of MizZoo! KC
I thought for sure Detroit would beat out St. Louis! Confused

But we only do gun debates here! No battles! Tongue
Welcome! Shy

14-02-2016, 01:21 PM
Welcome aboard!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
14-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all the kind welcomes, everyone!

And Gulegon, I hear you're not too much better off on the other side of the state, haha!

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
[+] 1 user Likes philosopher's post