Hey everyone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Hey everyone
To start with you can call me Dlrichardson94. I'm from MO but grew up largely in AZ and have lived the past 3 years in VA while stationed here in the Navy. I grew up Baptist but around the beginning of middle school I vaguely identified as an Atheist, mostly just out of a dislike for the church. Entering high school I moved back to MO from AZ where I started going back to church because my mother made me.

At first I was swayed by the argument for intelligent design by my youth group pastor. From there it was about 5 years of fervent belief in The Bible and Jesus as my personal savior. I attended church many times a week as a member of various grouts and ministries and attended a few bible studies. I immersed myself in apologetics and would often go and evangelize with my youth group. After a while I decided I wanted to be a pastor when I got older and when I entered the Navy I wanted to try and earn a degree so I could become a chaplain.

However that's when things changed. Being in Norfolk I found I didn't really like the church on base and I didn't own a vehicle at the time to visit one off base. So I decided to just study the Bible on my own time. In hindsight it was probably due to the lack of constantly having other people's views and interpretations of the Bible that I started seeing it in a new light. I decided to start from the beginning and as I read through the Old Testament, which I admit I did not much dabble in prior years aside from the cherry picked verses I was fed.

I found myself constantly at odds with the morality of the Old Testament God. I started to think on my own views homosexuality (a word my phones auto-correct frustratingly refuses to recognize). I had always thought of homosexuals as genuinely good people but due to my religious beliefs thought them confused about God's will for them. But it dawned on me that I really didn't see any problem with homosexuals. So I was struck by the thought, "how could a loving God be so spiteful towards such essentially good people?" Upon further reading I found myself disagreeing more and more with God. My final verdict was that I could not believe in a God who's morals were so innately abhorrent to my own.

Now this wasn't really as big of an emotional roller-coaster ride as I know it is for some converts. I figure perhaps this was due to my ability to deal with change in my life and the fact that I never really got too emotional about most things. I mostly left the subject alone for over a year later. Then over the course of the last five or six months I've started more and more exploring both Atheist and Christian ideology (even dabbled in a sort of Atheistic Buddhism for a while).

I believe what prompted this was my current fiancés sudden aversion to my beliefs. She's known since early last year that I wasn't a Christian but I suppose that since we never really talked about it much she hadn't yet understood that I was an Atheist. While we try to work through our differences (and she tries desperately to deconvert me) I've been listening to various podcast such as this one, watching documentaries, and reading books such as the Portable Atheist, God Is Disappointed In You, and The Ancestors Tale. All of this stuff mixed with a reborn interest in science has caused me to take a different view towards religious belief. I've come to see it as a potentially damaging delusion of the human mind and see the necessity of ridding it from our culture. Especially in light of my fiances insistence that she wants to raise our future children as Christians I'm determined to make sure that at the very least they will develop critical thinking skills. I'm also trying to work on my fiances abilities to logically rationalize her belief. At the very least so she won't have such an aversion to my own.

All of this has turned me into a bit of an anti-theist and see inherent problems with the thinking of Christians and other religious people that I had never thought about before. I started noticing that whenever I see someone on Facebook post a seemingly photoshopped picture(such as the one of Hillary Clinton shaking hands with Osama Bin Laden) or stories that seem ludicrous I feel the urge to research them and tell the friend or family member the truth.

But I'm getting long winded here and hopefully y'all can come to know more about me from interactions on this forum. I joined because I decided I needed somewhere to express my ideas and engage in conversation with fellow Atheist. Since the other Atheist I know don't share my interest in knowledge and philosophy and the only person who is willing to engage in such conversation with me is one of my good Christian friends. So I hope to make some good friends on here. Furthermore if you would like to hit me up on Facebook you may be able to find me by searching for David Lee(Pictured with my fiance in front of a Christmas tree). I look forward to getting to know all of you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dlrichardson94's post
09-06-2016, 10:56 PM
RE: Hey everyone
Welcome aboard!
10-06-2016, 12:47 AM
G'day from Downunder, and welcome to the forums. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
10-06-2016, 01:07 AM
(09-06-2016 10:39 PM)Dlrichardson94 Wrote:  To start with you can call me Dlrichardson94.

I think I'll call you Hallelujah Jim, but thanks for the suggestion. Welcome to the forum Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-06-2016, 05:06 AM
Howdy!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
10-06-2016, 05:25 AM
Welcome to this little corner of the internet. You'll find quite the cornucopia of crazy here.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
10-06-2016, 06:02 AM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
10-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Welcome.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-06-2016, 01:02 PM
My last name is the same as yours. Welcome to our house of thinkers. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
10-06-2016, 01:29 PM

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin