Hey everyone :) wanna talk a bit about my "native" religion Islam..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Hey everyone :) wanna talk a bit about my "native" religion Islam..
So I just joined, and to tell you the truth I honestly don't know what I'm doing here. I'm an Arab -supposed to be- Muslim, because as you know, with many religions of this sort, you don't get to choose it, you inherit it. Even If you don't like it. Pretty fair, right? Undecided

It's not to say I hate Islam, absolutely not. If I had to choose a religion it would be either that or Buddhism. Even though people might say that it clearly advocates violent behavior towards non-believers, homosexuals, cutting the hands of thieves, etc, to tell you the truth many of these things are unacceptable where I come from. That WOULD mean that even if we say and think that our country bases its laws on Islamic Sharia, as long as we don't do exactly as what is written in the Qur'an or in the Prophet's Sunna, or as long as we aren't doing the same think as Saudi Arabia, we aren't truly following Islam. And what good is a religion if you cheery pick God's words, amiright?

But no, this is NOT what pushed me away from Islam, or any faith based religion in fact. It's because I just can't believe in creationism. And why did that happen with me, an Arab "Muslim", of all people? It's because I'm now out of the country and studying science, mainly biotechnology, and thus learned what Evolution truly is. In my home country, we will laugh at such notion, we will say the cliche'd things like "Believing we evolved from monkeys is stupid" and all that shit. We DO have science universities, but they are completely devoid from objectivity!! The moment such a notion would arrive following some scientific reasoning to explain something in biology we just say "this is one of the miracles of God, Subhan Allah" and wtvr. Evolution isn't even discussed as it is. And if you think you can actually say out loud that you think evolution is how we came to be, you will be laughed at, scorned, and humiliated till the day you die.

You might think "Fine, just keep it to yourself and move on".. but you need to understand that as a non-believer in Islam in my home country, you are still surrounded by it all the time; your family, your best friends, mosques announcing for prayers, in the way we talk, the way we see life and all the fortunes/misfortunes we encounter, Allah is included everywhere. And the MOST horrifying thing about it, is that these friends that I love, I basically know how they will react if I told them I don't believe in Islam anymore. You need to know, the word for non-believer in arabic, "Kafer", is a very VERY powerful, one of the worst words you can say about someone, and no one will stand beside you when you are labelled that. No one. Not even the closest of people. Your own mother will be on the other side trying to convince you to "come back". You don't know how frustrating it is.Sadcryface

And you, as a person, just don't have enough energy or resources to convince them of your point of view, because when it comes to God, there is NO place for argument. None. But in the end, losing these people will still devastate me.Sadcryface Because I'm the type that really doesn't want much from life as long as I have good people around me. Sooo, I looked up somewhere on the internet where I can say all this, and here I am. Unsure I swear I was gonna explode if I hadn't done this.

I hope this isn't too long to read because I really need some insight here..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Ned777's post
25-03-2016, 08:27 AM
RE: Hey everyone :) wanna talk a bit about my "native" religion Islam..
(25-03-2016 08:04 AM)Ned777 Wrote:  So I just joined, and to tell you the truth I honestly don't know what I'm doing here. I'm an Arab -supposed to be- Muslim, because as you know, with many religions of this sort, you don't get to choose it, you inherit it. Even If you don't like it. Pretty fair, right? Undecided

It's not to say I hate Islam, absolutely not. If I had to choose a religion it would be either that or Buddhism. Even though people might say that it clearly advocates violent behavior towards non-believers, homosexuals, cutting the hands of thieves, etc, to tell you the truth many of these things are unacceptable where I come from. That WOULD mean that even if we say and think that our country bases its laws on Islamic Sharia, as long as we don't do exactly as what is written in the Qur'an or in the Prophet's Sunna, or as long as we aren't doing the same think as Saudi Arabia, we aren't truly following Islam. And what good is a religion if you cheery pick God's words, amiright?

But no, this is NOT what pushed me away from Islam, or any faith based religion in fact. It's because I just can't believe in creationism. And why did that happen with me, an Arab "Muslim", of all people? It's because I'm now out of the country and studying science, mainly biotechnology, and thus learned what Evolution truly is. In my home country, we will laugh at such notion, we will say the cliche'd things like "Believing we evolved from monkeys is stupid" and all that shit. We DO have science universities, but they are completely devoid from objectivity!! The moment such a notion would arrive following some scientific reasoning to explain something in biology we just say "this is one of the miracles of God, Subhan Allah" and wtvr. Evolution isn't even discussed as it is. And if you think you can actually say out loud that you think evolution is how we came to be, you will be laughed at, scorned, and humiliated till the day you die.

You might think "Fine, just keep it to yourself and move on".. but you need to understand that as a non-believer in Islam in my home country, you are still surrounded by it all the time; your family, your best friends, mosques announcing for prayers, in the way we talk, the way we see life and all the fortunes/misfortunes we encounter, Allah is included everywhere. And the MOST horrifying thing about it, is that these friends that I love, I basically know how they will react if I told them I don't believe in Islam anymore. You need to know, the word for non-believer in arabic, "Kafer", is a very VERY powerful, one of the worst words you can say about someone, and no one will stand beside you when you are labelled that. No one. Not even the closest of people. Your own mother will be on the other side trying to convince you to "come back". You don't know how frustrating it is.Sadcryface

And you, as a person, just don't have enough energy or resources to convince them of your point of view, because when it comes to God, there is NO place for argument. None. But in the end, losing these people will still devastate me.Sadcryface Because I'm the type that really doesn't want much from life as long as I have good people around me. Sooo, I looked up somewhere on the internet where I can say all this, and here I am. Unsure I swear I was gonna explode if I hadn't done this.

I hope this isn't too long to read because I really need some insight here..

Welcome! Glad it feels good to vent. I first came here to vent, too.

Make yourself at home and chime right in! Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
25-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Thanks Big Grin We'll see how this goes.
25-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Hello! Welcome! Big Grin

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
25-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Welcome to TTA. We speak evolution here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Welcome! If you live in a place where you may get into trouble for posting, please be careful.
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
25-03-2016, 11:49 AM
(25-03-2016 09:36 AM)carol Wrote:  Welcome! If you live in a place where you may get into trouble for posting, please be careful.

Don't worry, I'm far from it all.. for now anyway Smile
[+] 2 users Like Ned777's post
25-03-2016, 11:54 AM
(25-03-2016 09:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome to TTA. We speak evolution here.

That's a relief Big Grin And I adore your quotes, not many people understand what science ACTUALLY is and they categorize it as something optional when it's actually fundamental to the proper functioning of our daily lives from the smallest of its details to their biggest. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Ned777's post
25-03-2016, 12:04 PM
(25-03-2016 08:04 AM)Ned777 Wrote:  ...
your best friends, mosques announcing for prayers, in the way we talk, the way we see life and all the fortunes/misfortunes we encounter, Allah is included everywhere.

Welcome.

I can relate to some of what you write.

I'm a European. a kafir, now living in an officially Islamic country. So although I'm not as deeply entangled in it as you were, I've got to confess that it's getting me down.

Much sympathy.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post